Are you watching the Olympics?

If it isn't mountain bike related it goes here. Follow board rules for allowed material

Are you watching the Olympics?

Postby diggingtrail » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:20 pm

I've just about given up on watching the Olympics already. The NBC Olympic coverage is shitty, crappy, and horrible. And that is being kind to NBC. Again I already know the outcomes of multiple events before NBC deems us even worthy of a few minutes of coverage. Yesterday really did it for me as I was off and was hoping to watch multiple live events. No we got cross-country skiing live and that was it. The mens downhill was going on and so was snowboard cross but they were nowhere to be found. By 430 the events were over and the results were online and all but unavoidable to see. Finally at 8 we got to see a total of 5 mens ski the downhill and the last run of snowboarding was on even later. I wanted to watch the whole thing, grrrrrr. What is NBC thinking? They have 6 TV channels and multiple online outlets that they could be showing all the events live, and still do the recaps and "special interest" stories in primetime. I love the Olympics but they have been ruined this year for me. Sorry I needed to vent.

How do you all feel?
diggingtrail

Re: Are you watching the Olympics?

Postby Glancing Aft » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:16 pm

Before the Olympics started I was going to completely boycott them because of the Olympic Committees refusal to allow Skier Halfpipe to become an Olympic Sport. The simple fact is that skiers can go bigger and throw more rotations than snowboarders in a halfpipe, however the marketing dollar is all behind snowboarding these days because it is the "cool" sport to do. There was a strong push by the newschool ski community to have it introduced for this Olympics but it was shot down and I feel simply because of money being thrown their way by snowboard companies. The last thing they want to have the world see is skiers doing better then them at "their" sport...

Anyways, I've been watching them more than I thought I would and I agree, NBC's coverage sucks. I feel in order to try to appeal to everyone they are appealing to no one... Last night I had to suffer through hours of figure skating just to watch the final bordercross race, since there was about a 2 hr brake between it and the semi finals. I think they should just put all the iceskatting on one of their channels and do the nordic/alpine events on a different one... And yes, full live coverage of the events! Not podium finishers only!

BTW, so pumped on Bodie's performance yesterday! He's back!
Glancing Aft

Postby knobbysideup » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:31 pm

Glancing Aft wrote:Before the Olympics started I was going to completely boycott them because of the Olympic Committees refusal to allow Skier Halfpipe to become an Olympic Sport. The simple fact is that skiers can go bigger and throw more rotations than snowboarders in a halfpipe, however the marketing dollar is all behind snowboarding these days because it is the "cool" sport to do. There was a strong push by the newschool ski community to have it introduced for this Olympics but it was shot down and I feel simply because of money being thrown their way by snowboard companies. The last thing they want to have the world see is skiers doing better then them at "their" sport...

Like the TDF, non-skiers simply cannot appreciate the sport, or what type of skill is required at those speeds. Guys going fast down a mountain on two skinny sticks against the clock, with no real obstacles but a drop here and there. *yawn*. It's more boring than NASCAR.

The reason SBX is so popular in only its second appearance as an olympic sport is the head to head competition. Perhaps skiing should go that route, if it's not 'cool' enough for general viewership.

That said, watching the mogul competition is friggin' awesome. Skiers should stick to that, and let the boarders have pipe and SBX.

Actually, IMHO, any sport that requires judging shouldn't be an olympic sport in the first place.

And as far as how one sport gets in and another doesn't.... It's ALL about the money that can be generated. Has been for many years. If you didn't know this, you have been dreaming.

BTW, while in the off-topic forum, will we ever get a true mailing list back? Having to come to a web page for discussions that are not even threaded is tedious at best, espeically as mobile devices become more prevalent. A better solution would be a mailing list that also allows people to view/post/reply via a web-based archive page. Best of both worlds. Even better, use an NNTP server with a web front end. That solves all problems as well.

Flame Away.
:(){ :|:& };:
knobbysideup

Postby rmichels » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:25 am

sounds like someone just volunteered to help manage the web site.
rmichels

Postby diggingtrail » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:52 pm

Glancing Aft wrote:Before the Olympics started I was going to completely boycott them because of the Olympic Committees refusal to allow Skier Halfpipe to become an Olympic Sport. The simple fact is that skiers can go bigger and throw more rotations than snowboarders in a halfpipe, however the marketing dollar is all behind snowboarding these days because it is the "cool" sport to do. There was a strong push by the newschool ski community to have it introduced for this Olympics but it was shot down and I feel simply because of money being thrown their way by snowboard companies. The last thing they want to have the world see is skiers doing better then them at "their" sport...

Anyways, I've been watching them more than I thought I would and I agree, NBC's coverage sucks. I feel in order to try to appeal to everyone they are appealing to no one... Last night I had to suffer through hours of figure skating just to watch the final bordercross race, since there was about a 2 hr brake between it and the semi finals. I think they should just put all the iceskatting on one of their channels and do the nordic/alpine events on a different one... And yes, full live coverage of the events! Not podium finishers only!

BTW, so pumped on Bodie's performance yesterday! He's back!

I pretty much agree w/ you. I'm not going to get into the ski v. board debate though, I like watching both and do neither. I think NBC may be getting the mssg w/ all the complaints, I personally sent two. Seems the coverage the last two nights has been better. More actual competition and less special interest stories and less Bob Costas. Still to many commercials but they have to pay the bills somehow since they overbid for the broadcast rights.

The womens downhill course was a beautiful course yesterday. I think it was an exciting course to watch and the sun was out finally for the racers. I think the course was better designed than the mens downhill which to me was pretty boring this year. I have to say congrats to all the US alpine skiers so far as they are lighting it up. Same for the snowboarders. I have the women's halfpipe paused on the Tivo now so I can skip through commercials.
diggingtrail

Postby Glancing Aft » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:26 am

diggingtrail wrote:I'm not going to get into the ski v. board debate though

No need to have a debate, it's pretty much a closed discussion. There's a reason skiers hold the guiness book record for most height out of a halfpipe and a quarterpipe. :) :D ;)

Anyways, back on topic, an interesting column on NBC's coverage,
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/michael_rosenberg/02/18/olympic.tv/index.html?cnn=yes&hpt=C2
Glancing Aft

Postby knobbysideup » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:41 pm

rmichels wrote:sounds like someone just volunteered to help manage the web site.

No, but i'm happy to provide a mailing list for YAMBA members to use. If you'd like to make it official, you can even point your MX record at my server, I don't care.
:(){ :|:& };:
knobbysideup

Return to Off Topic