Hurricane Sandy storm damage reports

Posts to this topic should be limited to discussion related to trailwork, including ideas for maintaining existing trails or creating new ones

Postby diggingtrail » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:57 am

This storm is expected to bring 3-6 inches of rain as well as sustained 30-45 mph wides with gusts up to 75 mph. There will be extensive storm damage in the parks from this storm.

Please post any observed damage in this thread so that we can mobilize work crews starting the weekend after the storm.
diggingtrail

Re: Hurricane Sandy storm damage reports

Postby Mark » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:08 am

At Rockey Ridge, there are 3 trees down on trail two close to the trail 9 intersection in the back
Carpe cerevisiam.
Mark

Postby danwalko » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:53 am

Hey guys...

I rode a little over half of the park today. There are trees down but nothing like last year. I did not notice any major flooding or erosion damage either!

---Trail 7 -- starting at the water tower and heading down hill - there are two smaller trees down. One is rideable. The other is up off the ground. This will be an easy cut.

---The small trail near the intersection of trail 8 and Sue's Trail has a large tree down. Head in from the parking lot to the trail on the left with the large rock at the entrance. This is just a little loop trail - Charles likes to ride off a large rock here...the tree is down right at that rock. It is large and not rideable.

-----Trail 8 -- the section that goes thru the center of Sue's trail - near the wood bridge -- This tree is giant - about 26" in diameter. Someone has already built up some logs to try to ride over it. The built up area isn't done well but it can stay if we want it there. However, the rest of the tree needs to be cut out. Horses cannot navigate over it and if they make a braid around it....the braid will go thru a swampy area.

----Trail 5 near the meadow by OMT. If you head in from the parking lot and toward the meadow and then turn left on the skinny trail 5 to trail 6 connector...the tree is there. It is a giant oak with the branchy section blocking the trail.

If I have time later today...I will try to post up a map with the trees marked on them.

It would be great if we could get these taken care of before the trails are all braided around them. If anyone with a chainsaw is available to help this week or next weekend, please post here so we can get you some help.

Thanks, Dan
danwalko

Postby ls1der » Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:55 pm

I might be able to get out there Tuesday afternoon if things stay quiet at work.
Scott Ramsay
ls1der

Postby Mark » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:23 pm

---The small trail near the intersection of trail 8 and Sue's Trail has a large tree down. Head in from the parking lot to the trail on the left with the large rock at the entrance. This is just a little loop trail - Charles likes to ride off a large rock here...the tree is down right at that rock. It is large and not rideable.

This is taken care of. It was dropped to the ground. It is a bit on the big side though.
Carpe cerevisiam.
Mark

Postby kraft » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:03 am

If anyone is going to be removing trees this week at rocky ridge my schedule is lite and I may be able to assist. text me at 449-1753 if you can. About the giant tree between sue's trail - trail 8. I have a suggestion. cut it long and move it parrallel to the upper side of the trail so that it will span the wet area of the trail. This can be used as a skinny to tranverse the area when wet. Proper drainage will need to be considered. Not everyone will want to ride this line but the tree seems to be wide enough and straight with no limbs or knots to accommodate alot of riders with moderate skill. You may want to taper both ends of the log to help in access and exit of the log. If this has the approval of others maybe some of the other locations that need logs cut out can be done the same where appropriate. Also I hope that many of the logs that will not be placed as skinnies can be cut so as to allow horses, hikers and bikers to pass unimcumbered but also allow riders that enjoy the challenge of hopping the logs (without buildups) the opportunity to do so. I understand and support any decision that Yamba must make concerning the trails but I will ask and submit suggestions that do make my ride more enjoyable without sacrificing an enjoyable ride for others.
Do the thing that is hard to do and the power will come.
kraft

Postby finsout » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:54 am

great idea jim. the skinny i cut on broken arrow was alot of work with the saw but those features seem well-received.
I'm a county parks trail user and I vote!
finsout

Postby danwalko » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:32 pm

The tree on the trail 5 to 6 connector would also be great for a skinny along the side of the trail. It's gonna take some work to move it into place though!
danwalko

Postby finsout » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:26 am

if the weather cooperates tomorrow or thursday evening I can go up and knock out the tree at 5/6. i will leave a long section for flat topping but will wait until its in position before that work.
I'm a county parks trail user and I vote!
finsout

Postby wrench347 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:48 am

Any work crews going out this weekend and if so when/where?
Tony
wrench347

Postby Jody » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:47 am

The downed trees at the lakes on the Goat Trail, Trail 2C, and Trail 4 have been cleared, there is
a tree blocking trail 3 on the fire road, I would think the parks would clear that one because
it gets a lot of foot traffic and they can drive their truck there.

Jody.
Jody

Postby ls1der » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:36 pm

wrench347 wrote:Any work crews going out this weekend and if so when/where?
Tony

I can't get out until Sunday but I'm thinking of hitting whatever blockages are left (if any)....in both parks. They seem to be steadily vanishing. Nice work Jody, Mark and whom ever else has been out clearing trails this week.
Scott Ramsay
ls1der

Postby diggingtrail » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:18 pm

I'm available for chainsaw work Sunday. Can bring the come along with me to move trees into location if wanted.

Thanks to those that posted locations and helped to open the trails already
diggingtrail

Postby wrench347 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:31 pm

I should be free, keep me posted.
Tony
wrench347

Postby danwalko » Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:37 pm

I may be available Sunday also. Let me know.
danwalko

Postby ls1der » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:19 pm

Okay. I'll throw out first. How about 10 am at RR to start ?
Scott Ramsay
ls1der

Postby wrench347 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:50 am

Ok 10AM at RR, which lot?
Tony
wrench347

Postby ls1der » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:37 am

Front gravel lot ( @ playground)? We can relocate as needed from there.
Scott Ramsay
ls1der

Postby danwalko » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:16 am

I should be there today. Kevin, bring the blower and we can clean some leaves also.
danwalko

Postby diggingtrail » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:41 am

danwalko wrote:I should be there today. Kevin, bring the blower and we can clean some leaves also.

diggingtrail

Next

Return to Trailwork