Help needed with trimming at the Lakes

Posts to this topic should be limited to discussion related to trailwork, including ideas for maintaining existing trails or creating new ones

Postby danwalko » Mon May 28, 2012 4:39 pm

Hey everyone...

Due to the warm winter, and wet and warm spring....the trails at the Lakes are already getting overgrown. Many of you have asked how you can assist with trailwork on your own time and schedule and this is a great way. I know that trimming to keep the trails passable is in no way as glamorous as building new trails but it is important that we do this work. The parks have neither the manpower nor the time to get this done. And if they did....it would likely be done using equipment that we want them to keep off of the singletrack.

At the Lakes....pick any trail...they pretty much all need some trimming. You can use your own weed wacker or hand cutters. Trail 4 and 2C at the Lakes are the worst right now but all of the others also need some trimming.

If you work on a section, please post up here with the time spent and what you accomplished so we can move on to other areas.

YAMBA's next Trailwork will be trimming at the Lakes next Sunday, June 3 from 1-4pm. The ticks are bad this year so long pants are advisable or at least some bug spray. I will post up the meeting location later this week.

This is one of the maintenance items that benefits all trail users!! Lets see if we can keep up with it this summer!

Thanks to everyone who has helped already.

Dan
danwalko

Re: Help needed with trimming at the Lakes

Postby Jody » Tue May 29, 2012 2:14 pm

Trimmed Trail #1 today after work (my adopted trail) and also part of 2C, from the bottom, up to
the double bridges before running out of fuel, I believe 2C is adopted by someone ?, not sure.
Jody..
Jody

Postby mtmajor » Wed May 30, 2012 7:13 am

Thanks Jody,
2C is my adopted trail. I've been a bad step parent though. I had a lot of poop hit the fan at home and i'm still cleaning it up.
It will be awhile before I can get free to do any trail care.

Mike M.
mtmajor

Postby jim-s » Wed May 30, 2012 8:30 am

Hey,
My adopted trail is the goat trail, from Lake to Log. I'm on extended travel for the rest of the season, so I won't be able to get out there. Sorry.
jim-s

Postby danwalko » Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:48 am

Thanks guys...

Trailwork today will be trimming Trail 4 at the Lakes. Please meet at the entrance to the Lake WILLIAMS boat launch area. This is just off Water Street. We should be able to park by the yellow entrance gates and walk up Trail 4 from there. We have trimming, a few wet spots to address, and a fallen tree. See you there.
danwalko

Postby danwalko » Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:49 pm

Mark, Tony and I were able to get part of Trail 4 trimmed today. We did both sides of Water Street closest to the Lake Williams entrance gate. We also got the tree cut out on the downhill leading from Nixon Park to the spillway.

The area at the top of the hill on Trail 4 near Nixon Park and heading down to the spillway where the tree was located really needs trimmed. We did not have time to get to that. If anyone can get that completed, please post here so we know.

Thanks for helping today Mark and Tony.
danwalko

Postby dmansberger » Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:19 am

Many thanks to Mark, Tony and Dan for a great job done on Trail 4. Went walking there Sunday early evening with girlfriend and her dog. You could really see the difference and thus, the magnitude of the work done, when negotiating the untrimmed trail down to the spillway. We really appreciated the effort. I will return to trail care work as soon as back surgeon gives ok for heavy duty activity.
Thanks again,
Dick Mansberger
dmansberger

Postby danwalko » Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:26 am

Thanks Dick. As always, your support is appreciated. Speedy recovery to you!
danwalko

Postby jwarner » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:12 pm

Trail 2c is trimmed top to bottom. Took me 5 hours to trim and rake. Hope everyone enjoys :)
jwarner

Postby Jody » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:43 pm

Thanks jwarner for trimming work you did on trail 2c,,
that was probably the worst (overgrown) trail at the lakes.
I`ll have to hit that trail on my ride there tomorrow.
Jody

Postby danwalko » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:01 pm

Thanks jwarner!!! Appreciate the assistance!
danwalko

Postby jwarner » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:33 pm

No problem! I still need to pedal up just past the bridges and hand saw a few limbs that are kinda in the way. Its passable though. Big tree fell and jist the top crossed the trail. But please let me know how it looks. Thanks
jwarner

Postby Mark » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:49 pm

I trimmed 4 at the Lakes from the Nixon Park turn off to the bottom.
Carpe cerevisiam.
Mark

Postby diggingtrail » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:59 pm

Thanks jwarner and Mark!
diggingtrail

Postby danwalko » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:32 am

AWESOME! Thanks Mark!
danwalko

Postby jwarner » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:21 pm

Went out today and trimmed the twisty section of Trail 5 from Stoney Rd to the parking lot on Log Rd. Then went and trimmed the bottom of Trail 5 across the creek on Log Rd along the creek and up the hill a bit till I ran out of time and water. Ran into a few ppl that seemed Thankful of the work I'm doing. That's fuel for me to continue with more trimming later this week. I here the Darkside is pretty bad. Was wondering if anyone would be interested in helping me out with the maintance. Its a hike to get to and carrying everything needed is my only problem.
---jeremy---
jwarner

Postby ken » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:56 pm

I here the Darkside is pretty bad. Was wondering if anyone would be interested in helping me out with the maintance. Its a hike to get to and carrying everything needed is my only problem.

I can help one evening this week, starting no earlier than about 5:30pm. Let me know when and which lot to meet at.
ken

Postby Jody » Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:43 pm

jwarner wrote:No problem! I still need to pedal up just past the bridges and hand saw a few limbs that are kinda in the way. Its passable though. Big tree fell and jist the top crossed the trail. But please let me know how it looks. Thanks

2C looks great jwarner, I see those limbs you said about up at the bridges, I`ll try to go up there tomorrow and clear that
stuff out after I cut out the downed tree on trail #1 .
There`s 2 tree`s down on the goat trail and one of them looks pretty tricky, don`t think I can handle that one.

Jody
Jody

Postby ls1der » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:24 pm

Jody. Great work! Thanks for all of your service. Where's the tricky one located? I can get it Monday or Tuesday or maybe meet you there if you wish. Scott

Scott Ramsay
Scott Ramsay
ls1der

Postby RockyMountainSkip » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:53 pm

Jeremy,
Awesome job on 2C when I rode it today!

Jody - thanks for your efforts as well and for offering to tackle that stuff out by the 2 bridges on 2C!

Scott - if you go out to tackle that tree on Tuesday night I could try to meet up to give you a hand. Just let me know....

See ya on the trails,

Skip
RockyMountainSkip

Next

Return to Trailwork