Trailwork Sat November 12th at Rocky Ridge 9:30AM

Posts to this topic should be limited to discussion related to trailwork, including ideas for maintaining existing trails or creating new ones

Trailwork Sat November 12th at Rocky Ridge 9:30AM

Postby diggingtrail » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:39 pm

We begin the reroute of the eroded sections of trail 3 at Rocky Ridge. This is another large project that will be split into two parts. The first phase will be to reroute from the trail 3/8 intersection down to the rock garden at the bottom of 3. There is a lot of potential for fun rock features in this area, and the will be a concerted effort to maintain the "feel" of the old trail that is being replaced. The second phase, which is not as emergent of a need, will be started next fall most likely and will reroute the upper section of trail 3/8 from the upper 3/8 split (near "the wall") down to the new reroute we will be working on this fall.

Your help is needed with this new trail construction. Please join us this Saturday at Rocky Ridge.

What: Reroute of massively eroded section of trail 3
Where: Rocky Ridge County Park
When: Saturday November 12th
Meet: In the rear gravel parking lot

Bring sturdy work shoes and water and a desire to build first class trails. YAMBA will provide the tools and Clif Bars to fuel you through the mornings work.
diggingtrail

Re: Trailwork Sat November 12th at Rocky Ridge 9:30AM

Postby sammon287 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:46 am

I'm not a club member, but would like to help out tomorrow morning. My wife and young sons would like to come if that is OK. They can make themselves scarce if necessary. Is the rear gravel lot the big one at the end of the road by the powerlines?
sammon287

Postby diggingtrail » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:12 am

sammon287 wrote:I'm not a club member, but would like to help out tomorrow morning. My wife and young sons would like to come if that is OK. They can make themselves scarce if necessary. Is the rear gravel lot the big one at the end of the road by the powerlines?

Sam, I replied to your email as well. You, your wife, and the kids can all join us. Yes the rear gravel lot is the lot under the power lines. For this trailwork most will park right under the powerlines (for fun touch the metal body of your car when under the powerlines and feel the hum). Since you are not a member, yet :D , you will have to sign a release form. Thanks for coming out to help, looking forward to meeting you and your family.
diggingtrail

Postby diggingtrail » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:17 am

FYI, I will most likely not be at the meeting location at 930A. I will be down in the work area flagging in the new section of trail. If I am not up in the parking area by 935A please organize yourselves together and walk down to the trail 3/8 intersection where we did the repair work at our last trailwork session. I will meet you there. The tools will be at the bottom of the hill already, saving having to hike them in and out. Thanks everybody.
diggingtrail

Postby bloomy63 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:00 pm

I won't be able to make it, I have to work.
bloomy63

Postby rickalbert » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:31 pm

Kevin, Do I need to bring my chainsaw ?..........Tks Rick.
rickalbert

Postby diggingtrail » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:44 pm

rickalbert wrote:Kevin, Do I need to bring my chainsaw ?..........Tks Rick.

It might not be a bad idea to bring it. I don't know that we "need" it, but the club saw won't be there.
diggingtrail

Postby diggingtrail » Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:16 pm

Nine hardy soles joined me on Saturday at Rocky Ridge to work on the trail reroute. The trail building went surprisingly quick as the area doesn't need a huge bench cut. We were able to put at least 3 large rocks into play along the trail tread and work in both some flowy and some techy portions of trail. Due to the changing nature, dual personality, of the trail it has been tentatively named "Bipolar", at least until a better one comes up if it does. :)

Thanks to Markus Houser, Dick Mansberger, Rick Albert, Jim Kraft, Jody Coeyman, Jason Yeager, Charles Smith and first time trail builders Sam and Monique Stein (who came all the way from Lancaster).

We will be at again this Sunday at 1:00p. Hope to see more then. We have to finish cutting in the trail tread both up to 8 and down to 3, do rock work in the rock gardens, and make features rideable and safe.
diggingtrail

Postby Glancing Aft » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:02 pm

I have a cross race in Kutztown Sunday morning, but I will try to make it back for trail work!
Glancing Aft

Return to Trailwork