October snow storm damage reports

Posts to this topic should be limited to discussion related to trailwork, including ideas for maintaining existing trails or creating new ones

Re: October snow storm damage reports

Postby crsmithpe » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:30 pm

I'll be in the front paved pkg lot at 10 if anyone wants to meet.
Charles Smith
crsmithpe

Postby ScottyB » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:42 pm

crsmithpe wrote:I'll be in the front paved pkg lot at 10 if anyone wants to meet.

I'll try to be there. If my arms and legs start to work again :shock:

I didn't catch the names but thanks to the 3 riders we talked to for clearing stuff off the trail during their ride tonight. Every little bit helps, much appreciated!
ScottyB

Postby crsmithpe » Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:48 pm

RRMap.jpg

I colored the map with Magenta (not "pink" 'cause that's a pansy color) where it sounded like things had been cleared. Have a look, copy the map, add your own color with MS Paint to trails that have been cleared.
Charles Smith
crsmithpe

Postby dpugh5 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:11 pm

went riding at RR , started around 230 left around 545 . did about six miles mostly trying to get the trails ride-able. we made it through all of the boyscout trail and from the warm up trail all the way down to the bottom up to rusty chair. we moved as much as we could but there is a lot of stuff that just needs cut out . I have a chainsaw maybe If its still going to be a mess could cut some later next week
dpugh5

Postby mushroom » Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:37 am

rickalbert wrote:Kevin, I got a late start tonight, but managed to hook up with Troy and his wife and we worked on Sues and trail # 2 till dark. Put us down for 1.50 hrs and put me down for 2.0 hrs for yesterday for trail # 9.............Tks Rick.

Sheri and I will be there around 10:30 and head back to trail 2 to continue working on that. I don't have a chainsaw so we'll do what we can with what we have.

Troy
mushroom

Postby crsmithpe » Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:30 pm

The pink trails are what has been cleared so far:
There are still two huge trees down in the gut. It's just the trunks; not like the canopy is across the trail.
Attachments
RRMap.jpg
Last edited by crsmithpe on Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Charles Smith
crsmithpe

Postby mushroom » Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:54 pm

Trail 2 is good except for 2, maybe 3, trees that need chainsawed. We only had a bow saw with us and the trees were just too big. We also did trail 3 where it comes off of trail 1 back to the power lines. We (the wife and I) were up there for about 2 1/2 hours.
mushroom

Postby finsout » Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:18 pm

I think we are pretty good shape. Got lower 6 done with 5. Fyi, there are two very large trees down across lower 6 that neither Charles or I could remove with the size saws we had. My saw broke so I'm out of action for a few days but I think things are under control.
I'm a county parks trail user and I vote!
finsout

Postby rickalbert » Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:46 pm

mushroom wrote:Trail 2 is good except for 2, maybe 3, trees that need chainsawed. We only had a bow saw with us and the trees were just too big. We also did trail 3 where it comes off of trail 1 back to the power lines. We (the wife and I) were up there for about 2 1/2 hours.

Troy,
Sorry, my meeting ran late, but planning to get out there tomorrrow.......Rick
rickalbert

Postby ken » Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:44 pm

Rode for a few hours this afternoon (yellow on attached map), clearing the moveable branches as I encountered them (on 9, 8, 3, others OK)

The connector from trail 5 toward trail 6, between the singletrack connector and 5B, near the "T" in the trail, had a tree that needs a saw.

All of trail 9 (didn't go on 9a) is now clear from trail 2 to trail 1. The part near trail 1 was already cleared, but the lower part (some of the pink on the map) looked like nobody had been through yet.

Most of the branches that were on trail 8/3 are off the trail, on the section starting at 1 down 8 and back up 3 to parking lot. There are still several that were too big to move or still attached to the tree/stump. Several other bikers started helping when I was on the way up from the 3/8 interesection where we did the last trailwork.
Attachments
RRMap.jpg
ken

Postby rickalbert » Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:49 pm

Did anybody get the two large trees on trail 6,if not I can get them tomorrow morning if somebody wants to help me..............Tks Rick.
rickalbert

Postby finsout » Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:59 pm

Rick, they are still there. We could figure out how to cut them without pinching plus they were about two feet in diameter.
finsout

Postby ls1der » Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:29 pm

rickalbert wrote:Did anybody get the two large trees on trail 6,if not I can get them tomorrow morning if somebody wants to help me..............Tks Rick.

I'm going tomorrow morning at 9 am. I'm trying to piece together the map and reports to figure out what is left. Was going to hit 6 first.
Scott Ramsay
ls1der

Postby finsout » Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:09 pm

scott, the two BIG trees are down 6 right past the small stream crossing. other than the tree reported above on 5B, that side of the park is clear. i haven't heard a peep about 7 so that might be worth a look unless someone reports it clear.
finsout

Postby ls1der » Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:31 pm

Thanks!
Scott Ramsay
ls1der

Postby rickalbert » Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:37 am

To whom it may concern: I'll be in the paved parking lot around 9am (white toyota pick-up) and head down and work on the large trees on 6..............Tks Rick.
rickalbert

Postby diggingtrail » Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:49 am

First post updated again from what I have been able to gather from the posts and map.

This may be a little late, well a lot late, but if trees fell on sections of trail that have been widened there is no need to cut them the full width. Use judgement. Keep singletrack single, or make it single again. :-)

Thanks to everybody that has worked so hard this week to get Rocky Ridge and The Lakes rideable again.
diggingtrail

Postby ls1der » Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:51 am

I'll look for ya. I'm in a silver Nissan pickup. ..…Scott
Scott Ramsay
ls1der

Postby ls1der » Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:02 pm

Rick Albert and I cleared the two large trees in the gut and a few on the way back out (clockwise-the wide part of 6) to 5. Also one multi-use/safety situation on OMT.
Kevin.....hours for both of us are already logged.
Scott Ramsay
ls1der

Postby mtmajor » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:54 am

Took a ride at the lakes yesterday. It's looking pretty good there.
I rode everthing but 6 and 7.
Cleared a couple things from the top of 4. Cleaned up a large branch on the section of 2 near the log trail and made it into a decent log over.
There is one large tree in the trail going out of the back of the parking lot at Iron Stone Hill RD. It is very close to the parking lot.
mtmajor

PreviousNext

Return to Trailwork