October snow storm damage reports

Posts to this topic should be limited to discussion related to trailwork, including ideas for maintaining existing trails or creating new ones

Re: October snow storm damage reports

Postby diggingtrail » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:15 am

Glancing Aft wrote:Big tree down at the intersection of 3&8.

- Trail 3 back down to Druck Valley several trees down there too that need a crew to take out.

There are two smaller trees under the big tree at the 3/8 intersection. Those two saplings may be saved if the big tree is removed, so don't cut them right away as they should bounce back up hopefully.

Also I believe the section of 3 that GA is talking about here is the section that is closed. From the intersection of 3/8 down to the rock garden is closed due to the erosion. This is where we are doing the reroute. DO NOT open this trail, we will just have to close it again in the near future. Nature did us a big favor here, except in doing that it also created one heck of a mess everywhere else. I know it isn't convenient right now but if we can get the reroute done quickly it won't be an issue for long.

About chainsaws. Dan and I have been in contact w/ Mike from the parks. He has given limited permission for extra sawyers due to the massive amount of material. Please note, all appropriate personal protective equipment must be use at all times. Each sawyer should have at least one additional person with them, a means to contact emergency personnel, and appropriate first aid materials. Sawing downed trees is not to be taken lightly.

The utility pole blocking Deininger Rd. should be replaced now so the front lots should be open again.

Thank you to those that are giving reports and to those helping with the cleanup.
diggingtrail

Postby finsout » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:33 am

Does that mean I can cut. With my own saw?
I'm a county parks trail user and I vote!
finsout

Postby ls1der » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:30 am

finsout wrote:Does that mean I can cut. With my own saw?

Yes, I believe it does. And if I'm available when you guys go out, I'd be glad to give you a hand. I have several saws and other useful equipment.
If you're interested, post when you are planning to go and/or text me. I'll try to meet you there. (fins - I'll pm you my cell number)
Scott Ramsay
ls1der

Postby wrench347 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:22 am

Is anyone going out Saturday morning? If so post it here, as I may have some free time to help out.
Tony
wrench347

Postby Glancing Aft » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:40 am

diggingtrail wrote:Also I believe the section of 3 that GA is talking about here is the section that is closed. From the intersection of 3/8 down to the rock garden is closed due to the erosion. This is where we are doing the reroute. DO NOT open this trail, we will just have to close it again in the near future. Nature did us a big favor here, except in doing that it also created one heck of a mess everywhere else. I know it isn't convenient right now but if we can get the reroute done quickly it won't be an issue for long.

Yes, this is the section I was talking about. I wasn't sure if it was definitely closed since the ribon is long gone. IMO when the tree at the 3/8 intersection is removed it could be used as a nice barricade to block off the closed portion of 3.
Glancing Aft

Postby finsout » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:27 pm

wrench. i may go. i am supposed to go surfing but may stay up here to get these trails open. Scott R, I am picking up a new chain tonight so I am not going to be able to go tonight. IF I don't go to the beach I will hit it tomorrow. if I go i will be up and cutting Saturday afternoon. I am going to concentrate on the 4/5/6 area.
finsout

Postby Glancing Aft » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:14 pm

Saw on the Park's Twitter Account that the trails are open... Donno how good of an idea that is after what I saw last night.
Glancing Aft

Postby Jody » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:44 pm

Lakes Report:
Goat Trail is good now, walked Trail #1 today, just the single track sections,
was able to clear all that was blocked, there is a tree that fell right at the upper
#1 and #1A intersection, it pulled the tree trunk rootball out right on the trail but it`s
looks easy to ride around.
Trail 2C is clear now, mostly brush that fell into the trail and didn`t spring back up.

From what you guys are saying about Rocky Ridge, so far, the Lakes are not near as
bad, don`t think the southern part of the county got as much tree and
tree branch braking snow as Rocky Ridge.
If I get work done early tomorrow, I`ll try to checkout some of Trail #4.

Jody
Jody

Postby danwalko » Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:51 pm

Hey everyone...

My feeling on this issue is the more the merrier to get the trails back to a rideable state as soon as possible. The Parks will not regularly allow anyone to use saws in the Park, but the scope of this damage makes it necessary to make an exception. I know the Parks is very appreciative of the work we have been doing to help clean up the mess. Please make note of Kevin's warning about safety when using your saws.

Please note, all appropriate personal protective equipment must be use at all times. Each sawyer should have at least one additional person with them, a means to contact emergency personnel, and appropriate first aid materials. Sawing downed trees is not to be taken lightly.

Thank you to everyone who has come together to help. Please be sure to get back to Kevin with your trailwork hours! We want to take credit for what we have been doing here. Once the cleanup is done, we will need to go back to the normal rule of seeking prior approval before using a saw in the parks.

Thanks, Dan
danwalko

Postby crsmithpe » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:17 pm

I'm planning to be at RR around 10 on Saturday to clear. I was going to go to the back of the park to get 3 and 2.
Charles Smith
crsmithpe

Postby rickalbert » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:36 pm

Hi guys, Just to let you know, Tonight I chainsawed trail# 9 (front side) from the top of trail# 2 to the bottom and back up the middle (green markers w/o numbers) trail; I will try to get back up there tomorrow evening and the rest of the weekend to cut out the rest of trail# 9 and the backside of trail# 2. Is there a list of trails that are completed and not completed ???? Is there also a members phone or email list ???
rickalbert

Postby diggingtrail » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:51 pm

ScottyB wrote:Trail 6 is stuck to the roots of this tree. A go around is needed or a massive hole needs filled..

The other picture is just past the pump house bridge. Should have taken a before picture. Man that was a total cluster... It's passable not but prob needs more work.

As John said we cleared a lot more tonight, but a 2nd pass would be helpful. If we can use chainsaws it would be much faster going.

Where on 6 is this tree?
Looks like a log ride waiting to happen. :D
diggingtrail

Postby diggingtrail » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:54 pm

rickalbert wrote:Hi guys, Just to let you know, Tonight I chainsawed trail# 9 (front side) from the top of trail# 2 to the bottom and back up the middle (green markers w/o numbers) trail; I will try to get back up there tomorrow evening and the rest of the weekend to cut out the rest of trail# 9 and the backside of trail# 2. Is there a list of trails that are completed and not completed ???? Is there also a members phone or email list ???

First post in this thread now has a list of completed trails as reported here. PLEASE continue to post when working on a trail so that we can keep track of it all.

Rick there isn't really a list per se. I can blast email through the forum, and Dan has an email list for special events. You can email or pm members of the forum by clicking on their name.
diggingtrail

Postby ScottyB » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:09 pm

diggingtrail wrote:First post in this thread now has a list of completed trails as reported here. PLEASE continue to post when working on a trail so that we can keep track of it all.

Kevin do you want to add 6 to the list? John and I cleared most of it from the parking lot down to up past the pump house rock garden on the RC side. It's passable, but will need work where the tree pulled the trail out with it.

crsmithpe wrote:I'm planning to be at RR around 10 on Saturday to clear. I was going to go to the back of the park to get 3 and 2.

John and I can probably be there to help. I'll bring that part with me too for ya. :D
ScottyB

Postby finsout » Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:39 am

I am going up at noon today to finish upper 6. Rick, if you can be there we can knock that out quick. Kevin, the nasty tree hole is on upper 6 between the interection to the 5 connector and the big rock climb over. That whole area is a mess.
finsout

Postby Sandie » Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:19 am

Blake and I will have a tiny crew available for trail clean up tomorrow morning. We will only have a hand saw though. I've lost track of all that needs done with all of the posts.
Can someone suggest some trails we can hit at Rocky Ridge for clean up?? Trail 7 maybe? Trail 5 and OMT? The Gut???
Thanks
Sandie
Sandie Reynolds
~Mason Dixon Velo/The Cycle Works
Sandie

Postby finsout » Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:48 am

OMT 5 and gut would be good. Check back to see how much progress we make today.
finsout

Postby rickalbert » Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:49 pm

Anybody going to RR this afternoon/evening for trail clean-up,I could use a hand on trail # 9, you don't need any tools (maybe work gloves and hiking boots) I have a chainsaw and large handle prunners. I'll be at the back parking lot around 4:30-4:45 (white Toyota pick-up).
rickalbert

Postby finsout » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:28 pm

Kevin, put me and scott b down for 7 hours today. Cleared 5 big trees off of upper 6 (and added an interesting feature that nature created). Also cleared both cut over trails to 5. We walked OMT and it looked like somebody hit it already. Also got the short part of 8 between sues. We started down 6 toward the gut but ran out of daylight. I'm pretty sure lower 6 and the gut will need cleared.
finsout

Postby rickalbert » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:23 pm

Kevin, I got a late start tonight, but managed to hook up with Troy and his wife and we worked on Sues and trail # 2 till dark. Put us down for 1.50 hrs and put me down for 2.0 hrs for yesterday for trail # 9.............Tks Rick.
rickalbert

PreviousNext

Return to Trailwork