October snow storm damage reports

Posts to this topic should be limited to discussion related to trailwork, including ideas for maintaining existing trails or creating new ones

Postby diggingtrail » Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:11 pm

This is really beginning to sound like a broken record this year! Storm after storm has hit York Co. Craziness.

There will most likely be many, many, many tree's and limbs down on the trails after this snow storm. Post reports of locations of trees, etc. in this thread so that we can coordinate the attack. Also, chainsaw use is limited by the parks to a few approved individuals. However hand saws are allowed. If you do remove any tree's and large limbs please post here as well so somebody else doesn't hike in to that location only for the work to have been completed. Thanks.

COMPLETED TRAILS - Rocky Ridge
Trail 3 including Screwy Eagle
Rusty Chair
The rest of trail 4
Broken Arrow - 4A
O.M.T.
5A and 5B - except for one tree
Trail 6 - except for 2 big trees at small stream crossing
Trail 8 - from front parking to lookout
Trail 8 - Sues Trail to Sues Trail section, and switchback section from Sues to 3.
Trail 9

TRAILS to check still- Rocky Ridge
5B - one tree left
6 - two trees at small stream crossing
New section of 8
3/8 from parking lot down
2 (reports of a few larger trees still down)

COMPLETED TRAILS - The Lakes
Goat Trail - 5
To See ( :lol:) - 2C
diggingtrail

Re: October snow storm damage reports

Postby finsout » Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:21 pm

Rocky ridge is polluted with down limbs and trees. Most of what I saw can be removed by hand or with a hand saw. Just crazy volume. Just getting to the park gate was a mess. I will start working on tues night on the drop in at the parking lot past the ties. Scott b and I cleared most ot the trail between the lots. I will hit broken arrow then rusty chair. After that Ill hit 8.
I'm a county parks trail user and I vote!
finsout

Postby diggingtrail » Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:34 pm

finsout wrote:Rocky ridge is polluted with down limbs and trees. Most of what I saw can be removed by hand or with a hand saw. Just crazy volume. Just getting to the park gate was a mess. I will start working on tues night on the drop in at the parking lot past the ties. Scott b and I cleared most ot the trail between the lots. I will hit broken arrow then rusty chair. After that Ill hit 8.

Thanks Fins.
diggingtrail

Postby finsout » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:26 am

ScottyB and I are meeting at RR tonight to start clearing trails. We hope to get the parking lot entry trail (over the railroad ties) and broken arrow cleared before it gets too late. If anyone wants to join us we will be in the first paved lot at 4:00-4:15. IF the gate is closed, we will park at the pull off area and walk in.
finsout

Postby ScottyB » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:12 pm

John, Doug, and myself did about 2 hours of clearing trails tonight. We cleared a LOT with just a few hand tools.
-BA is clear
-RC is clear
-Trail 4 from the BA / RC split is clear down to where the down hill railroad ties start.
-The paved parking lot dropin trail (not sure of the name) is clear out to the observation deck.
ScottyB

Postby danwalko » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:18 pm

Thanks for your work guys. Nice job!
danwalko

Postby diggingtrail » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:46 pm

ScottyB wrote:John, Doug, and myself did about 2 hours of clearing trails tonight. We cleared a LOT with just a few hand tools.
-BA is clear
-RC is clear
-Trail 4 from the BA / RC split is clear down to where the down hill railroad ties start.
-The paved parking lot dropin trail (not sure of the name) is clear out to the observation deck.

Thanks guys!
The trail from the front lot to the the lookout has no name :( it's just trail 8.
diggingtrail

Postby finsout » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:05 am

Big thanks to Doug for helping clear and scouting ahead. that saved a huge amount of time. nice for a runner to come out and lend a hand too!

Scott and I are going to head back up tonight to work on 4/6 after RC. If anyone rode this and knows the condition it would be nice to know ahead of time what we need to hit. hopefully it isn't as bad as Broken Arrow was!! I am also looking for a two man crosscut saw so we can take some bigger stuff out without waiting for the chainsaw.

If 4/6 isn't bad, we will work on 8.
finsout

Postby diggingtrail » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:20 am

I was up at Rocky Ridge this morning w/ Mike from the parks to hike out the new trail 3. Wow it is bad. I'm gonna head back up and work on the switch back section of trail 8 and maybe some of 3/8 if I have time before picking my daughter up at school.

Anybody been to The Lakes yet?
diggingtrail

Postby ScottyB » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:40 am

diggingtrail wrote:Anybody been to The Lakes yet?

I'm trying not to think about the damage that's down there. :shock:
ScottyB

Postby finsout » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:59 am

kevin, any chance you can take a look at 4/6? if that looks good, we can go right to 8/3.
finsout

Postby diggingtrail » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:32 pm

Well, things didn't go as planned and I didn't make it back up to RR. I might be able to meet up tomorrow if anybody goes up. Busy tonight.
diggingtrail

Postby finsout » Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:01 pm

Well, that sucked. Scott and I got lower 4 and upper 6 cleared except for two large trees on upper 6 past the bridge, up the hill before the rock climb . Tough going with just hand tools because the wood is so wet. I am out of town until Sunday but my advice for trail maintanence would be to send out as many chainsaws as possible. What scott and I did in two hours would have probably taken 30 minutes with a saw. The worst by far was right before the bridge at 6. We got it passable but it could use some more work.
finsout

Postby Jody » Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:36 pm

Lakes Report:
I walked all of the Goat Trail this afternoon plus Copperhead and Airplane Hill, was able
to prune out must of the stuff , wasn`t as bad as I thought it would be, the only thing that`s
left is 3 tree`s that are blocking the goat trail, I can get those chainsawed out tomorrow or friday
if you guys, (kevin or Dan) can get me the ok from the parks officals .
The trails are pretty soggy in some sections, I`m hopeing the lakes will be back open this
weekend so the other trails can be checked out "on bike", don`t like that walking stuff.

Jody.
Jody

Postby danwalko » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:15 pm

Jody,

I just let the Parks know you will be out there with a saw. Cut away!
danwalko

Postby danwalko » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:37 pm

John,

Do you guys have a chain saw? If I let the parks know when you will be out there, you can use the saw. Let me know.
danwalko

Postby ScottyB » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:41 pm

Trail 6 is stuck to the roots of this tree. A go around is needed or a massive hole needs filled..

The other picture is just past the pump house bridge. Should have taken a before picture. Man that was a total cluster... It's passable not but prob needs more work.

As John said we cleared a lot more tonight, but a 2nd pass would be helpful. If we can use chainsaws it would be much faster going.
Attachments
2011-11-02 17.44.00.jpg
2011-11-02 17.04.25.jpg
ScottyB

Postby ls1der » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:35 pm

You guys are doing an amazing job of taking care of the trails at RR. It's really in the best interest of YAMBA and requested by the Parks Dept. that we stick with the few pre-approved operators for chainsaw use. It's best to report the approx. sizes, numbers and locations (as detailed as possible) of larger (chainsaw size) trees and we will get to them in a reasonable, or better, amount of time. Thanks Again!
Scott Ramsay
ls1der

Postby finsout » Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:14 am

danwalko wrote:John,

Do you guys have a chain saw? If I let the parks know when you will be out there, you can use the saw. Let me know.

Dan, I have a chainsaw and if you can get temporary clearance from the parks to use it for Sunday to Sunday (11/6-11/13) I can get in and start working.

Is1der, i would be inclined to agree with you in a normal situation but we have going at RR is anything but normal. EVERY trail we've come across has limbs about every 10 feet or so. many of these are massive bunches of tangles limbs and in fact, there are exactly THREE trails that are completely passable--8 between the parking lots, Broken Arrow and Rusty Chair. Lower 4 to 6 would be passable once the big trees are cleared. that is the work of 2 (plus runner Doug on Tuesday) guys. What I didn't mention in my report from yesterday was that at the intersection on upper 6 where you can take the connector to 5 is a massive mess and completely unpassable. What little I could see of 5 from the connector near the parking lot tells me that 5 and OMT are not going to be pretty and to be honest, cutting through 6 to 8 inch limbs that are wet with a bow saw ain't alot of fun. The only way these trails are going to get open any time soon is with chainsaws and people IN NUMBERS, and quite frankly, given the amount of work that Scott and I did, I think we deserve the ability to take a chainsaw in and clear stuff....on a temporary basis.

Sorry for the rant, but I'm sore, got two twisted ankles, and a nice gash on my side. Kevin and Dan, IMO, the Parks should keep RR closed until more trails can be cleared.
finsout

Postby Glancing Aft » Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:18 am

I went up to the Ridge last night to try to go for a trail run. The utility companies were working near the entrance and the road was closed so I parked on Druck Valley Road. My run turned into a TM session, moving everything I could move by hand by myself without tools... Here's what I saw:

- Trail 3 going up from Druck Valley Road to the Left (2 Trees down that will need chain saw)
- Boyscout Trail (top of Trail 3 up to Sue's) I was able to clear everything from this by hand
- Trail 2 around the top at the back of the park was the worst I saw, countless trees down that will need chainsawed (15+ trees)
- Trail 8 back down (switchbacks) I was able to clear most by hand except for maybe 2 or 3 threes. Big tree down at the intersection of 3&8.
- Trail 3 back down to Druck Valley several trees down there too that need a crew to take out.
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/126082067
Glancing Aft

Next

Return to Trailwork