Trailwork Sat October 15th at Rocky Ridge 9:30AM

Posts to this topic should be limited to discussion related to trailwork, including ideas for maintaining existing trails or creating new ones

Trailwork Sat October 15th at Rocky Ridge 9:30AM

Postby diggingtrail » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:04 am

This Saturday YAMBA embarks on another massive trailwork project. Trail 3 at Rocky Ridge was closed due to erosion created during Tropical Storm Lee. There is now a 3 foot x 3 foot gulley running down the trail.

During this trailwork we will repair the intersection between trail 3 and trail 8. We will also work on water management at this intersection so as to limit further erosion here. If time allows construction of a totally new and improved trail 3 commence. Your help is needed this weekend and over the following months as we replace the old trail 3 with a sustainable and at least as much fun, and hopefully even more fun, trail.

What: Beginning of massive repair and reroute of trail 3 at Rocky Ridge
When: Saturday October 15th at 930A
Where: Rocky Ridge County Park meet in the rear gravel parking lot

Bring work gloves, water, and sturdy shoes. YAMBA will provide the tools, CLIF bars, and a newly restocked swag box out of which a few lucky trailwork participants will be able to chose an item from.
diggingtrail

Re: Trailwork Sat October 15th at Rocky Ridge 9:30AM

Postby diggingtrail » Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:48 pm

Thanks to Dan Walko, David Pugh, John Blake, Markus Houser, Rick Albert, Emory Ettenfeld, Dick Mansberger, Ken Powers, Rik Keener, and Tony Marano for joining me on a beautiful day at Rocky Ridge to put in nearly 3 hours of hard labor. We were able to accomplish most of my goals for the day, so it was a success.

We were able to temporarily repair the intersection of trails 3 and 8, as well as put in 4 drainage areas to better handle the water to prevent further damage until the new trail is completed. Trail 3 is still CLOSED from trail 8 down. This work was solely to manage water and make the intersection safe again.

In addition we tackled some trouble spots on trail 8, removing built up dirt and adding additional drainage to sustain the trail for many years to come. Unfortunately we could not complete that task because we had to dedicate a large amount of time and effort to re-blocking the old trail 8. That fall line trail has been closed for at least six years if not more. It is still CLOSED. Today when I rode I noticed that somebody had already unblocked the top of the trail. Please if you can take some time to re-block the old fall line trail 8 and discourage others from riding it.

You saw a before picture above of the damage to trail 3 at the intersection of 8, here is an after picture

IMG_2815 by YAMBA - York Area Mountain Bike Assoc., on Flickr
diggingtrail

Return to Trailwork