Ad Hoc work on RC

Posts to this topic should be limited to discussion related to trailwork, including ideas for maintaining existing trails or creating new ones

Re: Ad Hoc work on RC

Postby knobbysideup » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:01 pm

You're all missing the point.

It's not about how hard or how easy that trail is, with or without a log. The point is you guys are making a disgusting mess of things. You're proud of that picture???

I'm all for a pump track or skills course up there on the powerlines. That would be all kinds of fun. But to dig and dump in the woods is bullshit and goes against EVERYTHING that mountain bikers have worked for years to achieve with rapport of land owners.

Who gives YAMBA sole discretion to dig around in the parks, anyway? Perhaps it is time for a new club to work with the parks to undo the damage you guys are doing.
:(){ :|:& };:
knobbysideup

Postby knobbysideup » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:04 pm

This post has been removed due to admins editing it. Delete my posts if you must, or better yet, moderate the forum, but modifying things in my name is quite uncool.
Last edited by knobbysideup on Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
knobbysideup

Postby diggingtrail » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:10 pm

knobbysideup wrote:You're all missing the point.

It's not about how hard or how easy that trail is, with or without a log. The point is you guys are making a disgusting mess of things. You're proud of that picture???

I'm all for a pump track or skills course up there on the powerlines. That would be all kinds of fun. But to dig and dump in the woods is bullshit and goes against EVERYTHING that mountain bikers have worked for years to achieve with rapport of land owners.

Who gives YAMBA sole discretion to dig around in the parks, anyway? Perhaps it is time for a new club to work with the parks to undo the damage you guys are doing.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Dude, you haven't done one bit of trailwork since I have been the coordinator. Really!

Who said they were done? Did I say they were? Have you ridden the damage yet?

Nobody said YAMBA has sole discretion in the parks. There are other groups that do work for the parks. All groups have to contact the parks to do organized work and get approval. All groups work inside a set of guidelines. This project was inside that scope.

And again, do you remember the trail that RC replaced? Seriously you are going to throw a fit about this one little thing on this trail compared to the mess the old trail 4 was? I just don't get where you are coming from.
diggingtrail

Postby zero » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:43 am

diggingtrail wrote:Taken from my post when RC was first opened: Rusty Chair is .7 miles long, and has a 100 foot elevation difference from the top of the trail to the bottom, with about 40 ft of climbing thrown in the middle due to the various grade reversals. The average gradient comes out to a very sustainable 2.7%.

That is not a gravity fed trail at only 2.7% grade. I love to climb RC almost as much as descend it,as it really does flow uphill. I know a lot of other riders that feel the same. It is up to all riders to realize that they are responsible for watching out for other users. Do I rail the berms? Yep, but only when I know that there aren't other users on the other side of the corner. When I can't tell, I check my speed. None of the technical lines, ie rocks and drops, are on the main trail line which is the way to do it.

Zero, should I wait to design progressive trails (compared to what we have for the most part here in the county parks) until we have full signage, difficulty ratings, and maps in place. Or should I begin the build out now while the above takes its time working through the red tape, such as I have? I tried to design RC to give more advanced riders the kind of trail they wanted. Do you know how much rock and dirt was moved during the build out of the trail? Was that dumbing it down then?
Or does dumbing down start after the trail is "finished"?

The trails at RR are built, then dumbed down for less experienced riders.
Adversity has the effect of eliciting talents, which, in prosperous circumstances, would have lain dormant. - HORACE
zero

Postby finsout » Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:00 pm

Zero, I was there working when RC was built and there were alternative lines put in place from day one! From the powerlines, the first is to the right of the stair step rocks. Second is to the right of the big rocks in the small wooded area. Then to the right of the rocks after the last berm and finally, to the right of the big rock before the broken arrow entrance. All of these alternatives were added when RC was built so I don't get how you say it was dumbed down.

KSU, I just laugh at you when you post. If all this 'digging and dumping' is so wrong, why is RC clearly the most popular trail in RR?
I'm a county parks trail user and I vote!
finsout

Postby knobbysideup » Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:43 pm

Zero. The rain is coming. Codo tomorrow? Or maybe the bainbridge wave to work on some spins. I have a new toy I want to try out there.
knobbysideup

Postby danwalko » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:08 am

Tim, Scott, and Fins...

Thanks for the work! Appreciate your willingness to assist in making improvements to the trails in the parks.
danwalko

Ad Hoc work on RC

Postby danwalko » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:20 pm

Nice work on the berms guys! That last one is really high. Kevin will love it when he gets back on the bike.
danwalko

Postby finsout » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:25 am

danwalko wrote:Nice work on the berms guys! That last one is really high. Kevin will love it when he gets back on the bike.

That is his motivation to heal faster. When I rode it last night I got in early and high. Slingshotted me a little too fast into to rock.
I'm a county parks trail user and I vote!
finsout

Postby ScottyB » Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:45 pm

Finally rode it tonight, awesome.
ScottyB

Previous

Return to Trailwork