Trailwork Sun Jun 12th at Rocky Ridge 1:30PM

Posts to this topic should be limited to discussion related to trailwork, including ideas for maintaining existing trails or creating new ones

Postby diggingtrail » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:40 pm

Trailwork this Sunday! Time to show some love to O.M.T. It's been there for over a year now, and while the trail itself has held up great, braids have opened, drains have filled up, and there is still some work we meant to complete but didn't get too. This Sunday will fix those issues.

Meet in the front gravel parking lot at Rocky Ridge a few minutes before 1:30. Bring water, work gloves, and sturdy shoes. YAMBA will bring the tools and ClifBars.

What: Trailwork on O.M.T
Where: Rocky Ridge, front gravel parking lot
When: Sunday June 12th at 1:30p
diggingtrail

Re: Trailwork Sun Jun 12th at Rocky Ridge 1:30PM

Postby kraft » Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:51 pm

I plan on riding before trailwork around 1030 am. slow technical ride on 7, RC, 8, 3. weather permitting.
Do the thing that is hard to do and the power will come.
kraft

Postby diggingtrail » Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:41 pm

Tomorrows trailwork may become a cleanup session. A major storm just passed through the city and is slowly headed west. If the storm is as bad to the NE of the city as it was here, there could be a significant number of downed trees and limbs. We will make the judgement call tomorrow as to what is needed. If you could though, please bring any tools that may help with removal of trees or limbs (lopers, handsaws, etc). Only bring a chainsaw if you are extremely experienced! YAMBA's Stihl saw will already be there.

I plan to ride around 12 to both get a ride in and to assess possible storm damage. I will be parked in the front gravel lot where we will meet for trailwork.
diggingtrail

Postby ls1der » Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:43 pm

diggingtrail wrote:Tomorrows trailwork may become a cleanup session. A major storm just passed through the city and is slowly headed west. If the storm is as bad to the NE of the city as it was here, there could be a significant number of downed trees and limbs. We will make the judgement call tomorrow as to what is needed. If you could though, please bring any tools that may help with removal of trees or limbs (lopers, handsaws, etc). Only bring a chainsaw if you are extremely experienced! YAMBA's Stihl saw will already be there.

I plan to ride around 12 to both get a ride in and to assess possible storm damage. I will be parked in the front gravel lot where we will meet for trailwork.

I was actually out (during the storm !!) to Kreutz Creek Rd. which is just east of RR and the storm was pretty bad.
Scott Ramsay
ls1der

Postby diggingtrail » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:29 pm

Well today's trailwork ended on an exciting note. After working for only a little over an hour thunder could be heard. Playing it safe I decided to call it a day, especially after looking at the radar on my phone. By the time we made it out to the cars a few drops could be felt on our heads. I stopped though to look up at what appeared to be a lowering of the clouds that was rotating (at this point there was no tornado warning). Kraft told me I was imagining things and I was being yelled out to open the car before it started to pour. :lol: Thirty seconds later the heavens opened up. Checking my phone again the storm had just gone tornado warned. After getting home I turned WGAL on and they were tracking a rotation in the storm that they could see just after it passed over Rt. 30 and down along 24. Here's a picture that was taken just up the road from where we were. Photo credit to Tim Harvey of Druck Valley Rd. who submitted this photo to YDR.
20110612_024111_funnel.jpg
20110612_024111_funnel.jpg (51.57 KiB) Viewed 3225 times

Thank you to our volunteers today (sorry I don't have the sign in sheet here in front of me to get the names right) who helped repair a wet spot, and do some rock armoring on O.M.T. Unfortunately because of the storm we were unable to finish the armoring off and will have to complete that at a later date. Keep an eye out for an informal work session some weekend to do that.
diggingtrail

Postby danwalko » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:54 pm

Nice job guys. Sorry I couldn't make it. I am glad you all got out of there safely before the storm took a turn for the worse. Looks like things got pretty bad.
danwalko

Postby Glancing Aft » Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:55 am

Great job out there guys.

Just as an FYI, I rode the trails Sunday night around 7pm and there were atleast 10 new blowdowns that I saw... The storm must have been bad!
Glancing Aft

Postby ls1der » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:43 am

Glancing Aft wrote:Great job out there guys.

Just as an FYI, I rode the trails Sunday night around 7pm and there were atleast 10 new blowdowns that I saw... The storm must have been bad!

Hey Will

Can you give some details on locations or maybe a quick map? Thanks.

Scott
Scott Ramsay
ls1der

Postby kraft » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:13 am

Sorry Kevin you were right. I would have headed home via druck valley road but had to make a delivery in the opposite direction. :(
Do the thing that is hard to do and the power will come.
kraft

Postby Glancing Aft » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:23 am

Scott,
I hope to get up there tonight for a quick spin so I'll do some more scouting and draw up a map.
The worst that I recall was on broken arrow right by the stream crossing...
Glancing Aft

Postby finsout » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:37 am

GA is right. There is a sizable limb down on BA just past the stream that is completely blocking the trail.

PS--Whoever cut back the growth on RC did a great job.
I'm a county parks trail user and I vote!
finsout

Postby wrench347 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:23 pm

Saw lots of little stuff while riding Tues. and the tree down on Broken Arrow. Best part, at the point on Rusty Chair/4 where we put in the tombstones to close the trail there are 2 large trees down right behind our 2nd row of rocks. That trail is CLOSED!!!
Tony
wrench347

Postby diggingtrail » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:25 pm

Kraft, nothing to be sorry about. I was just laughing at how everybody wanted me to open up the car and I was oblivious and then we got dumped on.

Thanks for all the damage reports. Glad we weren't still out in the woods when that stuff came down. Cool though that those two trees fell in the perfect spot on the old 4.

Fins, I trimmed Rusty Chair. Ran out of fuel about 80% of the way through. Might get to the upper section I couldn't do, sometime this coming week.
diggingtrail

Postby finsout » Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:11 am

I can get up there this weekend with my chainsaw to clear that limb if you can get an OK from the county!!! let me know as soon as you can.
finsout

Postby wrench347 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:52 pm

There's a tree down at the top of OMT with a pronounced braid around it already. Also near the top (right side if you're riding it from the lot) it looks as if either the old trail has been reopened or a new side trail has sprung up. I hate pirates!
Tony
wrench347

Postby finsout » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:37 pm

Don't worry about the one on Broken Arrow. TimB and I cut it with hand saws.
finsout

Postby ls1der » Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:20 pm

finsout wrote:Don't worry about the one on Broken Arrow. TimB and I cut it with hand saws.

Thanks guys!
Scott Ramsay
ls1der

Postby angie » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:01 am

I saw the tree on OMT last night. The top of a tree is hanging in the trail and it blocks the entire trail with its leafy crown and branches. There is no way through it unless you go off the trail.
angie

Postby finsout » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:27 am

Is that tree still on OMT?
finsout

Postby diggingtrail » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:13 pm

finsout wrote:Is that tree still on OMT?

It's just after OMT. A path has been cleared through it, but it's still there. It is a very dangerous, large limb that is propped up against another tree. At some point it will fall. Personally I think it is to dangerous for one of us to cut. We could perhaps with a 3+ people safely pull it down and then cut it, maybe.
diggingtrail

Return to Trailwork