Trailwork - Sat April 2nd - The Lakes 9:30AM

Posts to this topic should be limited to discussion related to trailwork, including ideas for maintaining existing trails or creating new ones

Trailwork - Sat April 2nd - The Lakes 9:30AM

Postby diggingtrail » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:45 pm

It's an early announcement for the next trailwork session. Last time with only 6 of us working we were able to get nearly 200ft of new trail cut in. Imagine if we had 15-20 people working what could be accomplished. Copperhead could even be finished and open possibly if there were to be a good turnout. So I hope to see that many volunteers out on the 2nd.

What: Trailwork. Building a new trail "Copperhead" that is a reroute of the climb to 'Airplane Hill' off of Ironstone Hill Rd at The Lakes.
When: Saturday April 2nd @ 9:30A
Where: Meet at the Lake Redman Boat Launch at 9:20 to carpool to the worksite
Bring: Water, work gloves, and a willingness to get dirty.

Trailwork is fun, great exercise, and good for the soul!
diggingtrail

Re: Trailwork - Sat April 2nd - The Lakes 9:30AM

Postby dpugh5 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:55 pm

I would love to help out sometime but i work most sat mornings how long are you out there digging ?
dpugh5

Postby diggingtrail » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:30 pm

We generally work till 12ish on Saturday morning trailworks. If you can't make it this time around b/c of work the next trailwork session is on a Sunday afternoon.
diggingtrail

Postby diggingtrail » Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:13 pm

Copperhead is now ready to ride!!! The general consent today was that this trail is going to be a blast to ride. I have to say a hearty THANK YOU to all that helped build this trail. This is the first time that I know of that a trail has been completed in just 3 work days. Great job!

Thanks go out to todays work crew:

Joel Dore, Larry Owens, Mike Major, Kim Watson, John Billingslea, Jody Coeyman, Markus Houser, Jim Kraft, Erik Ekstrom, Dave Beers, Charles Smith and Larry Schlaline. Plus the help of two dogs.

Today was just a little crazy as over half the work area including two turns had to be reflagged since somebody removed the flags that were previously placed. But crew worked hard while Mike and I, and then Charles and I worked to flag out the trail.
diggingtrail

Postby ScottyB » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:52 am

Not familiar with the trail names. Where exactly is the new trail?
ScottyB

Postby Glancing Aft » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:56 pm

Nice work guys! I look forward to riding it!

Hopefully your next trail work session won't be on the same day as a MASS race so I can make it...
Glancing Aft

Postby danwalko » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:27 pm

Scotty...

This is part of Trail 5. If you are in the parking lot on Iron Stone Hill Road near the grated bridge and cross the road, Trail 5 heads thru a yellow gate and up a steep rocky hill. If you continue up, you end up on what we call Airplane Hill - where the model airplane club has their landing strip area. The new trail bypasses this rocky hill and extends this section of trail dramatically.

Hope that helps.
danwalko

Return to Trailwork