Adopt a Trail

Posts to this topic should be limited to discussion related to trailwork, including ideas for maintaining existing trails or creating new ones

Adopt a Trail

Postby diggingtrail » Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:47 pm

It's getting to that time of year when the trails begin to become overgrown with all sorts of prickly vines and bushes, and thunderstorms blow sticks and debris onto the trail. One of the ways that these sorts of issues are dealt with is by YAMBA members that have decided to adopt sections of trail in the York County Parks.

Over the past few years these members have adopted the following sections of trail:

Trail Adopters

The Lakes
Doug Hershey - Trail# 4, the section we built the berm on from the top down to Water St.
Jack Steininger - Goat Trail from Ironstone Hill Road to where the trail comes back out at the bridge on Log Road where people fish.
Troy Schaeffer - Goat trail starting where Jack leaves off on the other side of the bridge all the way up to Log Road.
Jim S. - Goat Trail at The Lakes between Lake and Log Roads
Mike Major - Trail 2C at The Lakes
Jody Coeyman - The New One (new section of 1 @ The Lakes)

Rocky Ridge
Jim Kraft - Trail 7 and The Gut at Rocky Ridge
Sandie Reynolds & Blake - Trail 5 and OMT at Rocky Ridge
Will Weismantel & Alyssa Mease - Trail 8 at Rocky Ridge
Kevin Westover - Rusty Chair at Rocky Ridge
Tim Spang - Trail 6 at Rocky Ridge (switch back section) from trail 5 down to the bottom of The Gut
Charles Smith - Screwy Eagle (the upper section of trail 3) at Rocky Ridge
John Blake - Broken Arrow

What does an adoptee do? They walk or ride a section of trail year round noting it's general condition. They trim back overgrowth and clear loose debris from the trail surface. Larger items such as downed trees or major erosion are noted and forwarded to myself or Skip. The "job" is easy and only takes a few hours every couple of months to do, yet it helps all of us who ride the trails.

Interested in helping out with this? Just post here with the section of trail that you want to adopt. I will add your name and trail section to the list above and send you a link where you can enter in your trailwork hours into the online database.

kevin
Last edited by diggingtrail on Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:42 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Reason: added more trail adoptions
diggingtrail

Re: Adopt a Trail

Postby kraft » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:42 pm

rocky ridge - trail 7
Do the thing that is hard to do and the power will come.
kraft

Postby diggingtrail » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:05 pm

kraft wrote:rocky ridge - trail 7

Thanks Jim, you've been added to the list above.
diggingtrail

Postby Sandie » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:50 am

Is this for the Lakes or for the Ridge?
Sandie Reynolds
~Mason Dixon Velo/The Cycle Works
Sandie

Postby diggingtrail » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:58 am

Sandie wrote:Is this for the Lakes or for the Ridge?

Both, plus Spring Valley if anybody would want to pick up some trails down there.
diggingtrail

Postby Sandie » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:53 pm

Kevin - Blake and I would be happy to take all of Trail 5 at Rocky Ridge including Old Man trail. Let us know if that's cool. We run that trail once a week so it shouldn't be too hard to stay on top of.

All of Trail 8 is yours Will.

Sandie
Sandie Reynolds
~Mason Dixon Velo/The Cycle Works
Sandie

Postby diggingtrail » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:53 pm

Sandie wrote:Kevin - Blake and I would be happy to take all of Trail 5 at Rocky Ridge including Old Man trail. Let us know if that's cool. We run that trail once a week so it shouldn't be too hard to stay on top of.

All of Trail 8 is yours Will.

Sandie

Sandie & Blake, thank you, that is great. Adding you to the list in the first post.
diggingtrail

Postby Glancing Aft » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:58 pm

I will be adopting (with hopefully the help of Alyssa) all of trail 8, including "Alyssa's trail" (the unmarked probably unofficial trail connecting 8 and sue's trail...

Thanks/Sorry Sandie ;)
Glancing Aft

Postby diggingtrail » Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:54 pm

Glancing Aft wrote:I will be adopting (with hopefully the help of Alyssa) all of trail 8, including "Alyssa's trail" (the unmarked probably unofficial trail connecting 8 and sue's trail...

Thanks/Sorry Sandie ;)

Thanks Will, (& Alyssa).
diggingtrail

Postby diggingtrail » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:28 pm

I will be adopting Rusty Chair. Was there ever any doubt? :lol:

kevin
diggingtrail

Postby jim-s » Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:05 pm

I've also been unable to make any trailwork lately (did a fair amount a few years ago but have kinda fallen off the wagon). I'd like to take a section at the lakes, the goat trail or part of 2?

Jim
jim-s

Postby diggingtrail » Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:15 pm

jim-s wrote:I've also been unable to make any trailwork lately (did a fair amount a few years ago but have kinda fallen off the wagon). I'd like to take a section at the lakes, the goat trail or part of 2?

Jim

Thanks Jim! Great to have you back in the fold. The goat trail is pretty much covered already. Trail 2 though is a different story. You can have your pick of which section you want to do there. I would say 2c has the greatest need for trimming on a regular basis.
diggingtrail

Postby RockyMountainSkip » Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:24 pm

A BIG thanks go out to Mike and Joe Hoffman for spreading 2 tons of crushed stone and ballist rock on Trail# 4 at the Lakes! The two wet areas up on top of # 4 are now completely covered with ballist rock which provides smooth sailing across that formerly very muddy section. Thanks guys for volunteering to take care of this project as your support is greatly appreciated!

We realize that not everyone's schedules allow them to attend our trail work days on Saturday and Sunday. However, it's really awesome when club members offer to take on projects like this one or help with trimming overgrown areas, cutting fallen trees that are blocking the trail, etc. when their schedule permits. If you are interested in adopting a section of trail at Rocky RIdge, the Lakes or Spring Valley please let Kevin or myself know - Thanks!

Something I often hear when I approach people about helping with trail work is that they are too busy. That's very true for just about everyone nowadays it seems. However, my response back is that I guess you are not TOO busy because you have time to ride your bike, right??? What it comes down to is that we all have a choice just like with most things in life. So what I want you to think about next time you hear about a YAMBA trail work is this: You have a choice to go ride your bike or you could choose to give up just one, yep that's what I said JUST ONE RIDE over the duration of an entire year and come out and help with trail work instead. We all have choices in life and YAMBA needs more people to start choosing to help more and let the bike sit for a day....

Thanks for listening and as always, keep the rubber side down!

Skip
RockyMountainSkip

Postby crsmithpe » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:10 pm

I'll adopt the 'screwy eagle' trail at RR.
Charles Smith
crsmithpe

Postby diggingtrail » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:17 pm

1st post edited. Thanks to our 3 new trail adoptees, Jim S, Tim Spang, and Charles Smith.

Still have a few trails in need of love over the course of the year. Contact me for information or post here to volunteer.
diggingtrail

Postby mtmajor » Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:51 pm

So if know one has adopted trail 2c at the lakes I would like to.
I will love it as if it were my own, as long as I don't have to put it through college in a few years.

Mike M
mtmajor

Postby diggingtrail » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:05 pm

1st post edited again! Thanks Mike.
diggingtrail

Postby diggingtrail » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:43 am

Trail adopters, after the rain that is coming this week it would be a perfect time to walk your trails. The expected heavy rain could wreak havoc on the trails. If you could walk them with a rake or tool to clean out drains that would be great. All the leaves should be down after the rainfall and will be clogging up drains and low spots on the trails, holding water on the trail. Also note any erosion or braiding of trails that has occurred. If you think that you can close minor braids or fix minor erosion go for it. Post any other issues you may find here.

Thanks to all that have adopted a trail in the Parks.
diggingtrail

Postby ScottyB » Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:34 pm

What's left that needs someone to look after it?
ScottyB

Adopt a Trail

Postby diggingtrail » Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:05 pm

ScottyB wrote:What's left that needs someone to look after it?

Do you have a park preference? There's more at The Lakes than Rocky Ridge that could use adopting.
diggingtrail

Next

Return to Trailwork