Magicshine 900 lumen light review

Post your general mountain biking related topics here

Magicshine 900 lumen light review

Postby crsmithpe » Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:50 am

Once you get past the hokey name, this is a pretty good light - especially for the price. I've used it on two road rides, and two rides at the lakes and am happy with it. It's $85 for the light set and about $10 for a helmet mount. As far as I know, most decent lights are hundreds of dollars, which is an effective deterrent when considering taking up night riding. This posting isn't purely altruistic. My ulterior motive in posting this is to get more non-racer type people out to the Wed. night rides so I'll have more slow people to ride with.

I don't know how to quantify this light's output other than to give an example. It is bright enough to go 20mph easily, on and off road. I went 36mph down Mt. Zion hill on Rte. 24 Tuesday night. This was too fast for how far out the light reached. If a branch was sticking out or a storm grate was off, I wouldn't have had time to stop.
Charles Smith
crsmithpe

Re: Magicshine 900 lumen light review

Postby danwalko » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:39 pm

Charles...

As long as Santa is good to me.....I will be there starting in Jan! Looking forward to it.

Dan
danwalko

Postby knobbysideup » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:43 pm

I'd be willing to loan you my bar light, if that is what is keeping you off the trails with us. It lasts just long enough for those rides. Longer if you were to replace the battery that's probably done with its useful life. I'm hoping to get a second HID for the bars this spring.
:(){ :|:& };:
knobbysideup

Postby jclingan » Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:04 am

I'll post my review of the Magicshine since I recently got 2 of them:

I was skeptical about an $85 light but I did a lot of reading on MTBR and other forums regarding it. Now, you have to take everything people say with a grain of salt. There were, of course, haters of the light. Anyways, I decided to order 2 racer's specials which consist of 2 batteries, 1 light, and helmet mount for $125. So now I have 4 batteries, 2 lights, 2 helmet mounts, and Geoman threw in a Y-cable so I can run 2 lights off run battery if I wish.

This past Wednesday night was my first ride with them. I can say that they are definitely bright. I ran one on the bars and one on my helmet. The pair definitely puts out a good amount of light. Is is 900 lumens? Definitely not. Is any claimed lumen measurement accurate by light manufacturers? No. Compared to a Lupine Tesla the Magicshine holds up pretty good. The Tesla is a tad brighter but at almost 4 times the price, the difference is very nominal.

The beam is pretty good and is not super narrow but at the same time is not a big flood light. You could definitely get away with only one of these on the helmet. I've got about 3 hours + run time out of the batteries. The lights look very similar to the Lupine Tesla...hmmm. ;)

All in all, you can't beat the price for what you get and they definitely don't feel like an el-cheap-o light. I know myself and several other club members have them and all are happy. Just look for the green glow of the button on the next ride and you'll know it's a Magicshine!
jclingan

Postby Glancing Aft » Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:45 pm

I'm sure most of you have seen it by now but MTBR has them in their 2010 light shootout.
http://reviews.mtbr.com/blog/2010-mtbr-lights-shootout/
You can see with their "measured lux" the light doesn't even come close to comparable Lupine.
The Lupine with 920 Lum has 66 Lux while Magicshine with 900 Lum only has 37 Lux or about 56% of the brightness of the Lupine... But you get what you pay for, or so it seems.
I'm ordering a racers special as we speak to run on my handlebars...

Charels, providing we continue to get the large turnouts that we have been getting to the night rides, we will be splitting things up in to three groups. This way hopefully everyone can find a group that's at their pace and you wont feel like you're being pushed too hard...
Glancing Aft

Postby jclingan » Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:26 pm

While a single Magicshine only measures 37 lux, one thing to keep in mind is that for $170, you can have a setup that gives you 74 lux which is comparable to a Lupine Wilma 5 ($459) and almost a niterider 1200pro ($649) - saving nearly $300! I'm not trying to be a cheerleader for magicshine but it certainly could shake up the light market if the durability holds up. It also enables riders who don't want to drop a ton of money on lights to get out and enjoy the night!
jclingan

Return to General MTB Discussion