Urban Tires?

Post your general mountain biking related topics here

Urban Tires?

Postby knobbysideup » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:06 am

Hey all,

I'm thinking that the mtb will be a good option for the cranksgiving ride this weekend, if for no other reason than walking around in roadie shoes isn't fun, especially on tile floors in supermarkets.

So, I want to put some street friendly tires on the heckler.

I'd like something that rolls pretty fast on pavement, but I can't really justify buying both a slick tire and an urban/jump tire (which I plan to use this winter).

Anybody have any suggestions for a good all-around urban tire that won't wear me out for the cranksgiving ride, but will also let me play on stairs, benches, jumps, etc?

I'm currently looking at the Panaracer Uff Da! Will that one roll well for longer/faster rides? Any other suggestions?

-- Greg
:(){ :|:& };:
knobbysideup

Re: Urban Tires?

Postby Tone » Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:07 am

Greg,
This may not actually really help you because it sounds like you want a trials/jump tire, but I use a pretty decent overall urban tire. I do not personally do trials-type jumps and tricks, but I have seen it done very well on a number of occasions and really appreciate the skills involved.
Anyway, the tires I use right now are 26 x 1.5" Schwalbe Marathon Kevlar tires with reflective bands around the side walls. They are pretty much a slick tire with an inverted tread instead of knobs. I think the PSI can be up to 100 or so, and I tend to keep it pumped up high. Like I said, I do not do urban jumping or anything, but I imagine that would require a fatter tire with lower tire pressure to absorb the drops, so you probably might not be interested in this kind of tire. I still thought I should suggest the tire anyway for durable on-road riding. Last week I put over 70 miles on the tires when I biked from York to Simplicity Cycles in Hanover, then from York to The Cycle Works in Wrightsville the next day so I could drop off Cranksgiving flyers. I had no problems with the tires then and have not had any problems with them since I first got them a while back. I have also noticed Schwalbe Marathon tires for different riding styles and sizes, so maybe you can track down one more appropriate for your tastes. It is the same brand, so I would imagine it should be just as good quality as what I use.
_TONE_
Tone

Re: Urban Tires?

Postby knobbysideup » Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:54 pm

Thanks, Tone. For that type of riding, I'd just use my Orbea. I guess what I really need for winter fun is a custom hardtail cruiser or something :-)

I'm looking at the Kenda K-Rad too.

My mountain bike, you see, is pretty freeride, with 5" of travel. So, when in the streets, I won't be able to help myself from doing silly things that a skinnier slick probably won't like so much :-)

Look forward to finally meeting you this weekend.

--g
:(){ :|:& };:
knobbysideup

Return to General MTB Discussion