Hunting season?

Post your general mountain biking related topics here

Hunting season?

Postby shutdown99 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:57 pm

Hello fellow bikers!

I'm new to the forum and recently got back into biking after a few years off.

What is everyone take on riding during hunting season?

It seams like all the parks around the york area that allow biking are also open to hunting.

I don't have a death wish or anything, I just hate riding the road. The rail trail doesn't really interest me and I'm not ready for the trainer.

i'd like to get out on saturdays and ride, just not sure where to go. Are there any no hunting parks?

Thanks in advance for your input!!
*Brent*
shutdown99

Re: Hunting season?

Postby danwalko » Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:12 pm

Hey Brent...

You should be ok riding during hunting season. The archery hunters typically understand that the parks are multi-use and will stay at least a little off the main trails. Try wearing bright colors if possible.

Rocky Ridge and The Lakes are completely closed for shotgun hunting on 12/1 and 2 and 12/7 and 8. Also...Sundays are always safe since in PA you cannot hunt on Sunday.

Will...12/2 is a Wednesday so not sure if the Wed night ride should happen that day.. While the hunters should be done by 6pm, the parks newsletter states the park is closed to everyone that day.

Any other questions...just let us know.

Thanks, Dan
danwalko

Postby shutdown99 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:12 pm

Thanks for the input, I forgot it's just archery in redman and RR. I'll slap on my orange vest and hit the trails!! :D
shutdown99

Postby Glancing Aft » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:39 am

danwalko wrote:Will...12/2 is a Wednesday so not sure if the Wed night ride should happen that day.. While the hunters should be done by 6pm, the parks newsletter states the park is closed to everyone that day.

Dan, Thanks for the heads up. December 2nd is also a day that they have Christmas Magic up at Rocky Ridge 6pm to 9pm... I guess I will plan on not holding the ride that night though.
Glancing Aft

Postby knobbysideup » Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:02 pm

Glancing Aft wrote:Dan, Thanks for the heads up. December 2nd is also a day that they have Christmas Magic up at Rocky Ridge 6pm to 9pm... I guess I will plan on not holding the ride that night though.

Don't forget to update the google calendars. Thanks!
:(){ :|:& };:
knobbysideup

Postby Glancing Aft » Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:33 pm

knobbysideup wrote:
Glancing Aft wrote:Dan, Thanks for the heads up. December 2nd is also a day that they have Christmas Magic up at Rocky Ridge 6pm to 9pm... I guess I will plan on not holding the ride that night though.

Don't forget to update the google calendars. Thanks!

I will update the calendar once I know for sure....
Glancing Aft

Return to General MTB Discussion