York County Park Closure Policy

Post your general mountain biking related topics here

Should York County Parks Change Their Trail Closure Policy?

Yes (Individual users should decide if they can ride or not)
Yes (YCP should still enforce closures, but they should be more lax as to when they do it)
No (I don't like getting mud on my mountain bike anyway)
Total votes : 7

York County Park Closure Policy

Postby Glancing Aft » Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:03 am

So it seems like YCP is already up to their old game this winter. Last weekend they closed the Lakes for no reason (I hiked down there and the trails were fine). And it appears to be that this weekend all trails in YCP will be closed due to "wet" conditions, meanwhile the ground is frozen. I personally am getting very tired of their trail closure antics and it is the main reason why I did not want to help out with the night rides this winter. I have lived in several different places and I have ridden virtually every park in the mid atlantic region and I can not think of any other park on public lands that have closures the way York County Parks do. I know I am just one person, with one view, I was wondering what other trail users think about their trail closure procedures? Please vote in the pole below and leave your thoughts in response.

Happy riding, or I guess that would be not riding! Cheers!
Glancing Aft

Re: York County Park Closure Policy

Postby finsout » Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:16 am

all weekend!!!??? WTF! I was up last evening and hiked 4/6 and it wasn't all that bad. In fact, I cleared a number of dammed up areas to allow for better drainage. Can we say overkill? Here's my thoughts:

Trail closures should ONLY be made in conjunction with YAMBA input. The riders give the county a huge amount of free labor to maintain and build trails, it's only fitting that there be a say in closing them. I also think unjustified trail closure hurts maintenance activities because who wants to give up their time and energy to help build trail when the county makes poor judgements in closing them
I'm a county parks trail user and I vote!

Postby ScottyB » Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:56 am

You build it, we close it. -YCP

Postby Jim Gable » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:17 pm

I would rather have the YCP be consevative on their trail closure policy rather than then have the trails ripped up. Don't forget when its open it includes horses and horses on soft tarils = big holes from the hoofs and I don't know about you, I don't like hitting those holes and end up having to do an endo. Going over trails ripped up by horese is worse than over over rock gardens. Plus those hoofs holes are there for a long time.

I suggest going to your local gym and doing a spin class until the trails are open. If do correctly it would even help you inrease your power for when you can hit the trails. Anoter thing you can do is do a road ride.

Jim Gable

Postby Jody » Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:15 pm

I think it`s ok the way the parks doing it now, It doesn`t matter who makes the call as
to when the trails are closed or open, someone ain`t going to be happy about it.

sorry to hear you ain`t leading any night rides this winter, you did a good job
last winter. I`m doing one in January, you can take my spot if you change your
mind, besides, I know I`m too slow for you to follow. :D

( I`m the one that doesn`t like the mud that much :shock: )

Return to General MTB Discussion