Storm Damage @ the lakes

Post your general mountain biking related topics here

Storm Damage @ the lakes

Postby Jody » Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:41 pm

Walked trail #5 at the lakes this evening, found 8 trees down on the trail, all
chain saw jobs.
Should of had a garden rake along, cleaned tons of small stuff by hand.
3 on the goat before Log Road.
3 after you cross Log Road.
1 on the flat section before you cross Iron Hill Road to go up airplane hill.
1 on copperhead just up from the gate.
Jody

Re: Storm Damage @ the lakes

Postby mtmajor » Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:34 am

Did a recon ride around lake Williams last night. Looked pretty good. I did find 3 blow downs on trail 4. One small thorny tree after you climb the hill from the boat launch parking lot heading east. A hand saw could easily handle that one and some gloves and or a rope to handle all the thorns.
One on the top of four near the swammpy area that was filled in with stone last year. The other was on the very top of 4 in the section just after you head into all the old trees. (before the intersection with the Nixon trails). This is the only one the completely blocked the trail.
It's looked more like a large bushy limb that broke off.
over on 2c there is a couple of blow downs at the top of the single track. You can squeeze by them though.
mtmajor

Postby Jody » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:42 am

The downed trees on the goat and #4 where chainsawed out yesterday morning, the one on 2C was cut out today.
Didn`t get the one up by the nixon trail, figured the parks will get that one.
Everything is pretty good now, but I don`t know about trails #6 or #7 ?
Jody

Postby neilbfree » Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:31 pm

There are 5 trees down on trail 6. Going clockwise from the Stone Hill parking lot, the first one might be able to be cleaned up to make a nice bunny hop. The remaining are on the loop after trail 7. One of these is only partially blocking the path and the remaining 3 will need a chainsaw.
neilbfree

Storm Damage @ the lakes

Postby danwalko » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:11 pm

I also noted the trees down on trail 6 today. There are a couple of small ones on 7 too. There are also 4 trees down on the trail that starts across the road from the boat launch parking lot entrance, before you get to the tunnel under 83. One of them is very large and hanging in the air. Definitely need more than one person to cut it.

Trails 6 and 7 also need a lot of trimming.
danwalko

Postby mtmajor » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:58 am

Big tree down on 2C. It came down almost on top of the log towards the bottom that has the big notch cut out of it.
Looked like it was around 2ft diameter and covered in something that looked a lot like poison ivy. It is at about waist height so can't fit under it.
Not much fun trying to climb over it with it covered in poison.

There are some area's that erroded pretty bad with all the rain. I did not come across anything that was terrible but I would recomend taking any downhill's slow the first time over there.
You will be surprised at what you see. Looked like 10 years of errosion happend in one week. :o
Mike
mtmajor

Postby mtmajor » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:40 pm

Trail 5 is in bad shape. There are lots of tree's down making some sections impassable.
There is a section of trail 5 near the creak at log road that no longer exsists :o.
That section has been washed into the creek.
I would recomend avoiding all of trail 5 with the exception of airplane hill and copperhead section.
The gaurd rail trail section was hit pretty bad as well and is not passable at this time.
Mike
mtmajor

Postby ScottyB » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:55 pm

mtmajor wrote:Trail 5 is in bad shape. There are lots of tree's down making some sections impassable.
There is a section of trail 5 near the creak at log road that no longer exsists :o.
That section has been washed into the creek.
I would recomend avoiding all of trail 5 with the exception of airplane hill and copperhead section.
The gaurd rail trail section was hit pretty bad as well and is not passable at this time.
Mike

Posted before I could. 5 is really bad by the creek.
ScottyB

Postby mtmajor » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:57 am

All of trail 5 should be passable again with the exception of the gaurd rail trail.
A path has been cleared near the washed out section along the creek.
This section will most likely have a minor re-route in the near future after permission is granted from the parks.
If anyone spots any additional problems please post.
Thanks,
Mike
mtmajor

Return to General MTB Discussion