Storm Damage @ Rocky Ridge

Post your general mountain biking related topics here

Storm Damage @ Rocky Ridge

Postby finsout » Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:12 am

Probably going to head up to RR later today (hiking) to see how the trails fared. anybody else going out?
I'm a county parks trail user and I vote!
finsout

Re: Storm Damage

Postby kraft » Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:16 am

I'll be checking 7 and parts of 3/8
Do the thing that is hard to do and the power will come.
kraft

Postby finsout » Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:45 pm

Not too bad. Tree down on 4 near the road,small 8 on the other side od sues just past the wooden bridge bridge after the downhill. Then the top of of a tree across sues near the entrance. Other than that, just lots of sticks and leaves.
finsout

Postby mushroom » Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:00 pm

Trail 2 was the worst of the trails that I was on. There is quite a few downed trees on there. Also, the OMT had on large limb down near the top of the trail. 5,6, and the parts of 9 and 3 that I was on weren't bad at all. The Rusty Chair was in good shape. it had a couple of small pools of water but nothing major.

I was running so I didn't move any of the small stuff off of the trails. Assuming the park is still closed tomorrow, are we allowed to go and clean up the debris?
mushroom

Postby danwalko » Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:22 pm

No problem with doing cleanup at either of the parks. Just let us know what you do and how many hours you spend so we can keep track and let the parks know what we have done.

Thanks!
danwalko

Storm Damage

Postby danwalko » Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:57 pm

Just one quick reminder to anyone doing cleanup. We need advance permission to use chainsaws in the parks. Please do what you can to cleanup but please avoid the use of your own chainsaw.

Thanks!
danwalko

Postby kraft » Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:13 pm

7 is in decent shape. didn't have time to get to 3 or 8
Do the thing that is hard to do and the power will come.
kraft

Postby mushroom » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:04 pm

I cleared the limb that was across the OMT. Also did some hiking on 5, 6, and Broken Arrow. They all looked pretty good.
mushroom

Re: Storm Damage @ Rocky Ridge

Postby Glancing Aft » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:46 am

What's the plan with the two large trees down on trail 2? There's a pretty $#@%y buildup with the one now.

There's also a pretty good size tree down on trail 8 I didn't see mentioned on this thread. It's a little bit down from the top of Sue's trail. It's fairly easy to clear going downhill, not sure about climbing.
Glancing Aft

Postby crsmithpe » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:40 am

Here is the plan: There will be a thread dedicated to each tree, in which regular posters, as well as posters who only post to post about trees, will debate the merits of cutting, leaving, or building up each tree, and the precise manner in which it should be done. We will denigrate one another and each thread will implode and be locked. Then the trees will be cut.
Charles Smith
crsmithpe

Postby wrench347 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:27 am

Ha, well played Mr. Smith, well played.
wrench347

Postby Glancing Aft » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:29 pm

crsmithpe wrote:Here is the plan: There will be a thread dedicated to each tree, in which regular posters, as well as posters who only post to post about trees, will debate the merits of cutting, leaving, or building up each tree, and the precise manner in which it should be done. We will denigrate one another and each thread will implode and be locked. Then the trees will be cut.

That's funny, I could have sworn the homepage of YAMBA's site asked posters to post up about trees down that they see at the park. I do that, and then get ridiculed for it...
Glancing Aft

Postby crsmithpe » Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:42 pm

Glancing Aft wrote:
crsmithpe wrote:Here is the plan: There will be a thread dedicated to each tree, in which regular posters, as well as posters who only post to post about trees, will debate the merits of cutting, leaving, or building up each tree, and the precise manner in which it should be done. We will denigrate one another and each thread will implode and be locked. Then the trees will be cut.

That's funny, I could have sworn the homepage of YAMBA's site asked posters to post up about trees down that they see at the park. I do that, and then get ridiculed for it...

Other than being a springboard to bring the funnay, my comment had nothing to do with you.
Charles Smith
crsmithpe

Postby wrench347 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:08 am

I took it to be in reference to those discussions where mention of tree/rock/whatever removal degenerates into a firestorm about “trail sanitizing” and violating God’s commandments for mountain biking.
Tony
wrench347

Postby Glancing Aft » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:24 am

crsmithpe wrote:Other than being a springboard to bring the funnay, my comment had nothing to do with you.

Sorry, I must have misinterpreted it since you posted it right after I put my post up... Sounds like I've been pent-up too much and need to get out and ride! :D
Glancing Aft

Postby angie » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:58 am

Looks like we won't be able to have a firestorm of comments. The park service took care of the trees. The trees on 2, 8, and 4 are removed.
angie

Return to General MTB Discussion