Mt Bike Ban at Rocky Ridge

Post your general mountain biking related topics here

Mt Bike Ban at Rocky Ridge

Postby finsout » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:29 am

I have heard about concerns of the Parks banning bikes for riding to fast, not yielding etc, but you know what is really going to get us banned? Helmets.....I have been seeing more and more people riding RR without helmets. Picture this scenario..Dumbass A is flying down trail six with no helmet and hits a rock the wrong way and has a crash. This crash leave Dumbass A a droolmonkey from brain damage caused by the fall. Now, his family sues YCP for damages caused by the crash and wins a huge settlement from a sympathetic jury who felt the YCP should have required helmets for riders. YCP, being a govt organization, feels that the only way to protect themselves from further lawsuits is to ban biking.

Does anyone know WHY YCP does not have an enforceable bike helmet rule for the parks that is clearly posted?
I'm a county parks trail user and I vote!
finsout

Re: Mt Bike Ban at Rocky Ridge

Postby RockyMountainSkip » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:20 pm

PA's state law requires only riders under the age of 12 wear helmets while biking. Check out this link for a listing of all of the states.
http://www.helmets.org/mandator.htm

Looks like a lot of other States do 16 or 18 years of age and 13 States have no bicycle helmet laws at all.

I have seen a lot of Ranger reports when I was on the Parks board and while there are injuries reported, no lawsuits ever resulted from them to my knowledge. The Parks have noticed that mountain bikers very, very rarely reports their injuries to the Parks. Most of the injuries reported are from hikers & runners with turned ankles, sprains, etc. and there have been some bad accidents with equestrians with the rider being thrown.
RockyMountainSkip

Postby ls1der » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:34 pm

I agree that this scenario is very possible. Today’s society is being overburdened with ridiculous lawsuits. But we are also overburdened with rules and regulations. I have always worn a helmet when MTBing but would not want some board-of-directors, corporation, municipality, etc. mandating that I must wear a helmet.
It should be CHOICE.
Scott Ramsay
ls1der

Postby ScottyB » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:53 pm

If someone falls and cracks their head open from not wearing a helmet the stupidity is their own fault. I mean it's not like those big sharp point rocks move out of the way when you fall. Sometimes I think they actually gang up and move in on us. Those who don't care about their own safety should effect others. But...
I agree it should be choice. Plenty of Darwin awards to be handed out.
ScottyB

Return to General MTB Discussion