Interest for Multi-Use trails at Pinchot?!? Poll

Post your general mountain biking related topics here

Would you support, and use, trails created for multi-use purposes at Gifford Pinchot State Park?

Poll ended at Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:18 pm

Yes
100%
No
No votes

Total votes : 25

Interest for Multi-Use trails at Pinchot?!? Poll

Postby diggingtrail » Thu May 19, 2011 8:18 pm

A little over a week ago there was a land manager change at Gifford Pinchot State Park. York Dispatch Article This could possibly be good news for mountain bikers. The last land manager was very opposed to multi-use trails, especially by mtb'ers. Perhaps with the recent change, and the desire of the new land manager to improve trails in the park, mountain bikers will once again be allowed to enjoy trails at Pinchot.

I will be contacting our regional rep at IMBA for help and guidance in approaching the new manager at Pinchot. However the first, and best step, in getting approval for new sustainable multi-use trails is to show that there is local support. I need YOU, the mtb'ers of York to show that you want multi-use trails at Gifford Pinchot State Park. Please vote in the poll above and post your comments of support in this topic.
diggingtrail

Re: Interest for Multi-Use trails at Pinchot?!? Poll

Postby finsout » Fri May 20, 2011 7:05 am

Would be nice to have other options but would hope the trails they create are not just straight line wide trails but stuff more like Rusty Chair.
I'm a county parks trail user and I vote!
finsout

Postby Glancing Aft » Fri May 20, 2011 7:09 am

Sounds incredible! The more places there are to bike, the more exposure the sport has to new people, which can only lead to more people starting up and partaking in a healthy active lifestyle while enjoy the outdoors. For existing riders it would be great to have a 4th option in the York area (really 3rd, does anyone ride at Spring Valley?). Also I would imagine since it would be on State Land it wouldn't be subjected to the regular closures that the YCP are?
I know I like to dream big, and I haven't been involved in the club that much lately, but my vote would be for asking them to build machine built trails, like a Raystown. It would be the quickest way to build a new network and have the best results...
Glancing Aft

Postby finsout » Fri May 20, 2011 12:24 pm

Glancing Aft wrote:Sounds incredible! The more places there are to bike, the more exposure the sport has to new people, which can only lead to more people starting up and partaking in a healthy active lifestyle while enjoy the outdoors. For existing riders it would be great to have a 4th option in the York area (really 3rd, does anyone ride at Spring Valley?). Also I would imagine since it would be on State Land it wouldn't be subjected to the regular closures that the YCP are?
I know I like to dream big, and I haven't been involved in the club that much lately, but my vote would be for asking them to build machine built trails, like a Raystown. It would be the quickest way to build a new network and have the best results...

Don't forget the skills course!!!!
I'm a county parks trail user and I vote!
finsout

Postby mushroom » Sun May 22, 2011 9:31 am

I don't know why there is such opposition to mtb'ers at Pinchot. The trails there are pretty bad. They are always swampy, especially the Lakeside trail. I think if the land manager would look at what has been done to the county parks they would see that Yamba involvement would be good for everyone, not just bikers. The terrain there would be great to build trails on. And HOPEFULLY, they would allow a skills course!
mushroom

Postby kraft » Sun May 22, 2011 10:19 am

It has been so long since I have been to Pinchot. I have a vague idea of what the terrain is and no idea how much usable land there is. I do remember driving through that area and noticing that it does seem to have a very similar feel as Gov. Dick (Gretna) from the type of rocks (big round and smooth). I would think that this would take so much thought to make it right. Being that it is situated within such a dense population area (not right there but close to york, harrisburg, lancaster and so on) it will experience very heavy use like Rocky Ridge. It should compliment the proposed use of Round Top - not compete. All level of riders will be using it. This is a family camp ground if I am not mistaken. If I recall there seems to be few state parks that allow mountain biking. You can ride in michaux state forest but not pine grove furnace state park. French Creek allows it but does restrict access to alot of trails. Will we be able to get the state to buy in? I think it's worth the effort!
Do the thing that is hard to do and the power will come.
kraft

Postby lazysod » Mon May 23, 2011 9:28 am

The more trails in York County, the better. I hiked at Gilford Pinchot once and it has a good bit of land from what I remember, and I recall it being a little less rocky than Rocky Ridge, and a little flatter that the Lakes, so if we could build a good mix of technical trails, as well as some stuff that is good for beginners (like my wife) then we would have something that is missing in York County. I do agree that the trails that are there are seriously lacking, so obviously the current user community of the park is not interested in helping to maintain them, so allowing bikers would only be positive for the park in my opinion. If they looked at all the good stuff being done by YAMBA in the county parks, they would be crazy not to give it a chance.
lazysod

Postby diggingtrail » Mon May 23, 2011 11:10 am

Thanks for comments and votes so far. My goal is to get more than just YAMBA involved in this project. First approval is needed, and if that is granted then there will be a lot of planning and then new trail construction. Personally I haven't been to Pinchot in probably 20 years or more, but from limited memory and looking at the map there is good potential.

A properly built trail system would utilize a stacked loop layout, and the park by looking at the maps is conducive to this. There are two main camping/public day use areas. Generally trails would come off of these areas at a very beginner level, and be short loops perfect for family walks or rides. Further out from the main public areas the trails could become more technical or challenging with longer or steeper climbs and various small natural obstacles. These trails again would loop back to the easy trails as bailout points or for shorter excursions. Finally the furthest trails out, and those that would create full loops of the entire park would be the advanced trails, whether from a technical standpoint or even just endurance.

The use of a new stacked trail system would be a great selling point for the park. It would draw in more visitors both day and overnight as it would give all park users more opportunities to enjoy the natural surroundings, no matter their skill or fitness level.

At this point in time these are just ideas. I'll be firing off emails today to start the ball rolling though. Keep the comments and support coming.
diggingtrail

Postby endobob » Tue May 24, 2011 6:00 pm

I have been riding at Pinchot for many years so I'm pretty familiar with the trails down there. There are currently about 10-12 miles of decent trails that create a loop around the lake. The majority of these trails are somewhat distant from the lake itself which helps to reduce conflicts with hikers, fishermen and rangers. Only once have I had a negative encounter with a park ranger and that was when a group of us were just ending a night ride. Obviously they weren't happy with us for being in the park after dark. I continue to ride down there, generally by myself or with one other person. The rangers do not seem to mind that we are there.

Pinchot is not a particularly challenging place to ride other than a few nasty climbs. There are very few technical features and I am not sure how you would manufacture any. Perhaps a number of log buildups such as those at Swatara State Park? There are, however, several sections of the trail that are prone to holding standing water due to heavy erosion of roots. These areas become mud holes when it rains and it takes a long time for them to dry out. The spots would definitely require some serious improvement.

Due to it's close proximity to where I live, I would be very much in favor of getting official permission to open the trails up for mountain biking. I would be more than happy to work with anyone from YAMBA in making contacts and developing the necessary relationships with the new park manager. Please let me know what I can do to help.
endobob

Postby frederrc » Wed May 25, 2011 11:02 am

Pinchot would be an ideal setting for beginner to intermediate trails with its consistent topography. The trails would not have to be straight and more challenging features/more difficult trails could be added for more advanced riders. There are days its nice to be able to get out and just ride, and geographically, Pinchot is very close to my house. I've ridden at Pinchot at least 12 years ago and the Park Ranger was not very happy to see me coming out of the woods, and this was during the day.

There is so much potential for this park, besides just the lake and picnic areas. Winding trails that flow with the topography could prove to be very fun, and fast for most riders (IMO), while providing an excellent location for young children, novice riders, and people who just love to ride in the woods. However, I would prefer single-track over double track trails.

Thank you.
frederrc

Postby ChrisK » Wed May 25, 2011 4:35 pm

It would be a great option, there is a nice trail by the smaller boat ramp, I think it's Beaver Creek trail, that runs around and out to a road. pretty gentle terrain, could be a great trail. There are also some spurs off the lakeside trail on that side of the park that have a ton of potential, and often already have tire track on them.

I will say this, it is the best chance of riding in that area; i do not think Roundtop has any intention of adding mountain biking. sadly, their summer focus seems to be ride-oriented (OGO, summer tubing, bumper boats, zip line) rather than activity oriented. What strikes me is it's the activity oriented stuff that generates repeat business, and could create season passes for mtn. biking. Does anyone by an Ogo season pass?
ChrisK

Postby japerf1 » Thu May 26, 2011 4:29 pm

I used to ride there 10 years ago or longer. I would ride there again just for a change of scenery.
japerf1

Postby dpugh5 » Sun May 29, 2011 7:41 am

Just to clarify , you are not allowed to mtn bike at Gifford pinchot at the present time ? And if not how is that enforced.
dpugh5

Postby mushroom » Sun May 29, 2011 10:26 am

dpugh5 wrote:Just to clarify , you are not allowed to mtn bike at Gifford pinchot at the present time ? And if not how is that enforced.

You are allowed to mtn bike there but only on certain trails.
mushroom

Postby diggingtrail » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:22 pm

Update: Things are starting to move along. Our regional IMBA rep has reached out to the management staff of Gifford Pinchot and they are willing to meet to discuss the trails. If mountain bikers from the area can show that they want trails at GPSP and are willing to help create those trails there is a much greater chance it to happen. So spread the word.
diggingtrail

Postby mushroom » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:36 pm

diggingtrail wrote:... If mountain bikers from the area can show that they want trails at GPSP and are willing to help create those trails there is a much greater chance it to happen. So spread the word.

What is the best way to show them? Is there any way to gauge the interest of riders from the Mechanicsburg/Camp Hill/Harrisburg area? Pinchot is close enough to that area that there might be a good bit more support for the trails.
mushroom

Postby diggingtrail » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:35 pm

mushroom wrote:
diggingtrail wrote:... If mountain bikers from the area can show that they want trails at GPSP and are willing to help create those trails there is a much greater chance it to happen. So spread the word.

What is the best way to show them? Is there any way to gauge the interest of riders from the Mechanicsburg/Camp Hill/Harrisburg area? Pinchot is close enough to that area that there might be a good bit more support for the trails.

Right now it would be by posting in this thread, or one that I just started on MTBR in the Pennsylvania regional forum. I don't think we want to start bombarding them with phone calls or emails yet. We'll see how the first meeting goes and then work on getting things organized. I think if there is a good number of posts here and on MTBR that will be a good start in showing the managers that area mtb'ers would like to have that land approved for riding.
diggingtrail

Postby -GR- » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:39 am

I am in huge support for trails at Pinchot. We live about 3 miles from the park and I would be more then willing to help out as often as possible in keeping the trails maintained.
---
George
-GR-

Postby prophetdriver07 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:17 am

Im for it. Ride a couple hrs then take a dip in the lake to cool off. Like finsout stated....cant be wide smooth straight trails. Combine White Clay and rusty chair and Viola....awesome trails.
prophetdriver07

Postby bloomy63 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:16 pm

Count me in too!
bloomy63

Next

Return to General MTB Discussion