new rider - what are the most important things?

Post your general mountain biking related topics here

Postby jpavoncello » Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:32 pm

I'm a relatively new mountain bike rider. Road a few times early in the summer last year and realized I loved trail riding. Dumped the old WalMart Schwinn and bought a '10 Specialized Hard Rock for my first real bike. Probably did about 50 or so miles of trail riding last year till it got cold (and hunting season). I'm back on my bike again, and am really enjoying trail riding at Rocky Ridge and can't wait for the Lakes to open.
My question is, what are the most important things to learn right away as a new rider? Are there techniques that will make single track riding safer or easier? Trail etiquette that I should be aware of? What are the "must have" gear items?
jpavoncello

Postby danwalko » Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:12 pm

Why don't you come out for our beginner Monday Night Rides that start the first week of June. Great way to meet other riders and see what everyone is doing/using. First ride is at RR the first Mon in May.
danwalko

Re: new rider - what are the most important things?

Postby finsout » Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:03 pm

As far as gear goes, I would definitely get a good helmet and padded (in the crotch) shorts. I personally don't like the roadie look so I get the undershorts and wear them under some bmx style shorts and just sport tees. Www.chainlove.com is a great source for cheap gear.
I'm a county parks trail user and I vote!
finsout

Postby ScottyB » Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:18 pm

At the very least a nice helmet, padded shorts, and gloves.
ScottyB

Postby jpavoncello » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:59 pm

Helmet - check, padded shorts - check, gloves - keep switching on and off from my Cannondale gloves I still have from my road riding days and a regular old pair of Mechanics gloves. Like the full finger coverage but definitely like the padding on the Cannondale gloves. Probably going to pick up a pair of Specialized MTB full finger gloves.
I did ride one Monday night ride last year, and some of you might remember me as I was the photographer from the York Dispatch who did a video and stills last spring on the beginner rides. Unfortunately, I work Monday nights so it's impossible for me to attend.
Thanks for the responses!
jpavoncello

Postby TurnerRFX » Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:47 am

You definitely want to carry a spare tube,pump and tire levers(and learn how to change a tube).
TurnerRFX

Postby finsout » Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:43 pm

If isn't raining we are riding tomorrow tonight at RR around 430.
I'm a county parks trail user and I vote!
finsout

Return to General MTB Discussion