New to YAMBA and this forum

Post your general mountain biking related topics here

New to YAMBA and this forum

Postby Oldrider » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:46 pm

I just joined both the YAMBA and this forum. I used to ride alot both on and off road about 15 years ago and have not done alot of either since. I do have a new road bike and have gotten some riding in the last 2 years, but not as much as I would like.

I am looking forward to meeting everyone and espcially meeting someone to ride with. I have not done much winter riding at all until this winter and I have been using my Fisher Paragon on the road when it is half decent and temps abour 35 or above. I have a internet friend that lives in Maine and he rides all winter (He and his wife just both got fat bikes - Pugs) aabout 3 weeks ago and sounds like they are fantastic for the winter.

Is anyone riding at Rocky Ridge now? I do not know any of the trails up there, but would love to get out.

BTW: Since I am not in very good shape right now, I guess I should be treated as pretty much a beginner. Oh, yeah and you may have guessed from the username I am getting older (58) and really need to get back in shape.
Kerry
Oldrider

Re: New to YAMBA and this forum

Postby rmichels » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:53 pm

Hi OldRider

Welcome to Yamba! In the spring (or the thaw what ever is later) we will be holding regular weekly rides. Our Monday evening ride is a social paced ride for all skill levels, so be on the lookout for the start date. It's a great way to skake out the winter dust and get your legs back. I know how you feel regarding out of shape, I've not had the time to get any sort of mountain biking routine!

Ray
rmichels

Postby Oldrider » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:04 pm

rmichels wrote:Hi OldRider

Welcome to Yamba! In the spring (or the thaw what ever is later) we will be holding regular weekly rides. Our Monday evening ride is a social paced ride for all skill levels, so be on the lookout for the start date. It's a great way to skake out the winter dust and get your legs back. I know how you feel regarding out of shape, I've not had the time to get any sort of mountain biking routine!

Ray

Thanks Ray!

Guess I could have given my real name before. It is Kerry
Kerry
Oldrider

Postby Oldrider » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:35 pm

Just back from a ride on the road. Did about 40 mins and it was nice except for the traffic. Can't wait to get out on some trails.

If anyone is riding trails anytime soon, let me know because I am not working now and can go almost anytime.
Kerry
Oldrider

Postby ScottyB » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:30 am

I haven't been riding in like 2 months >_<. Anyone know how the trails are? I wouldn't mind riding.
ScottyB

Postby finsout » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:11 am

Maybe next weekend since we are supposed to get a nice little warm up next week. As luck would have it I am picking up my new bike next week as well!Image
I'm a county parks trail user and I vote!
finsout

Postby Oldrider » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:07 am

Sweet looking bike! What is it??

Wish I could get a 29er, but the funds do not allow that to happen currently. Especially since we are redoing our kitchen.
Kerry
Oldrider

Postby finsout » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:07 pm

Its a Specialized Pitch. I got a Rockhopper 29er last spring so my bike quiver is now complete!
I'm a county parks trail user and I vote!
finsout

Postby Glancing Aft » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:28 pm

Oldrider wrote:Sweet looking bike! What is it??

Wish I could get a 29er, but the funds do not allow that to happen currently. Especially since we are redoing our kitchen.

There's a really nice 29er for sale on this forum ;) http://yamba.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=416 :D
Welcome to the site!!!
Glancing Aft

Postby Oldrider » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:09 pm

Glancing Aft wrote:
Oldrider wrote:Sweet looking bike! What is it??

There's a really nice 29er for sale on this forum ;) http://yamba.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=416 :D
Welcome to the site!!!

Thanks for the welcome. Yes that appears to be a fantastic deal, but again, I do not have the funds at this point.
Kerry
Oldrider

Postby Oldrider » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:50 pm

Does anybody know a decent place to ride (off road) this week that is not too snowy or muddy?? I am not working right now and need to get some exercise for sure.
Kerry
Oldrider

Postby ScottyB » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:01 pm

Oldrider wrote:Does anybody know a decent place to ride (off road) this week that is not too snowy or muddy?? I am not working right now and need to get some exercise for sure.

x2.

I was debating the road. lol
ScottyB

Postby mtmajor » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:33 pm

I have not been on the trails this week but I think you will mostly find either ice or mud.
The milder temps. this week should help clear the trails but I would recomend staying off till they can dry a little.
Honestly the rail trail might be the best bet to get out of traffic and get some exercise.
I heard even rocky ridge was kind of messy.
I checked some local reports on mtbr.com and it sounds ugly anywere with in a couple hours of here.
Good luck
mtmajor

Postby ScottyB » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:58 pm

I would be ok with the rail trail. Get some easy miles in.
ScottyB

Postby Oldrider » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:04 pm

Thanks for the replies, I will have to take a look at the rail trail and see what happens. I have been riding my mnt bike on the road because of all of the junk and I don't want to use the road bike now.

Thanks again! :)
Kerry
Oldrider

Postby Oldrider » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:19 pm

Did not get to the rail trail, but did a 40 minute ride on the road today!
Kerry
Oldrider

Postby ScottyB » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:36 pm

Leaving work early on Thursday to ride. Going to see what the trails are like, plan b is the rail trail.
ScottyB

Postby Oldrider » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:20 pm

I have ridden on the road for the last 3 days. Tomorrow should just be short sleeves and shorts for the ride!!
Kerry
Oldrider

Return to General MTB Discussion