URGENT: Magicshine Recall information

Post your general mountain biking related topics here

URGENT: Magicshine Recall information

Postby jclingan » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:43 am

Since there is a large Magicshine following on here I thought I'd pass it along:

http://www.geomangear.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=4_41
jclingan

Re: URGENT: Magicshine Recall information

Postby Glancing Aft » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:47 am

This is going to suck for a lot of us but I'm glad to see they look like they are taking the appropriate actions...
Glancing Aft

Postby kraft » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:47 pm

So what exactly happens? Does the battery explode, leak acid on you, not hold a charge, send radio signals to alien space ships circling earth.
Do the thing that is hard to do and the power will come.
kraft

Postby danwalko » Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:28 pm

The geomangear web site says they cannot discuss what prompted the recall. Given that they suggest storing the batteries outside in a closed container, it would appear there must be a fire hazard. Hopefully they figure this out quickly and come up with a replacement! I really want to attend some of the upcoming night rides at RR!
danwalko

Postby Glancing Aft » Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:56 am

Apparently there's some pictures floating around of some guys closet that allegedly caught on fire, although I haven't seen them. Josh do you have a link to them?

There's lots of discussion on the recall in here, http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?p=7509361#poststop
Glancing Aft

Postby Mark » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:23 pm

I was doing some research about this yesterday. DealExtreme, where I got my light, hasn't issued any recall yet.
The batterypack has 18650 lithium-ion or lithium phosphate (LiFePO4) batteries in that are 3.7v and around 2200mAh to 2600mAh. These are the same cells that are in laptop batteries. Sony and other laptop manufacturers were having overheating and fire problems with these batteries. http://arstechnica.com/hardware/news/2006/09/7858.ars Li-ion batteries are a new technology that alkaline and ni-cad and hold a lot more energy and can be temperamental if not charged right, completely discharged or poorly manufactured.
Carpe cerevisiam.
Mark

Postby Jody » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:13 pm

Will,
All I want to know is, if I show up for the next night ride with my Magicshine, will
I be permitted to ride with Yamba, I`ll even ride at the tail end of the pack just as a
precaution, incase something like an explosion would happen. :shock:

Jody.
Jody

Postby kraft » Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:45 pm

Being able to keep track of the magicshine riders on group rides should be pretty easy. They'll be the ones that spontaneously combust and really light up the trail.
Do the thing that is hard to do and the power will come.
kraft

Return to General MTB Discussion