Let's talk... Frames?

Post your general mountain biking related topics here

Let's talk... Frames?

Postby ScottyB » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:24 pm

So right now I ride a 2008 Specialized FSR XC Comp. This bike is noticeably more heavy than what I was riding before (Older model FS RockHopper). If I got a new frame can I just swap the parts? Another reason for this is the frame I have now is one size to big for me I think. Also thinking about getting smaller tires? I have 26x2 right now if i'm not mistaken. Again on the old bike the tires did seem much smaller and I think I liked those more.

Thoughts?
ScottyB

Re: Let's talk... Frames?

Postby diggingtrail » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:23 pm

ScottyB wrote:So right now I ride a 2008 Specialized FSR XC Comp. This bike is noticeably more heavy than what I was riding before (Older model FS RockHopper). If I got a new frame can I just swap the parts? Another reason for this is the frame I have now is one size to big for me I think. Also thinking about getting smaller tires? I have 26x2 right now if i'm not mistaken. Again on the old bike the tires did seem much smaller and I think I liked those more.

Thoughts?

First for yourself and for us to help you have to answer a few questions. What kind of riding do you prefer? Flat and fast, downhill and chunky, slow and technical, climbing? Does your current bike fit right? Is it just the weight that you don't like about the bike, what else don't you like about it? Why don't you like the tires? Grip, weight, how they perform when transitioning between center and edge knobs? Do you throw your bike into corners, or lean it? These will determine what style frame and components will suit you best.

Yes, you should be able to swap most if not all parts to a new frame. Seatpost may be a different size and some new bikes are going to press fit bottom brackets, but those would basically be your only issues.
That said, if you are only chasing weight and not fit/geometry, a new frame is not the best money spent. Look at your components first. Start with the wheels. Spend even just a few hundred bucks on new wheels and you will most likely save weight and gain speed (lower rotational weight equals faster acceleration and more maneuverability). The fork is another place to lose close to a pound. The FSR XC used to come w/ a really heavy lower end fork. Again a few hundred bucks, especially shopping on Ebay, will get you a nice fork at a lower weight and better performance. Next I would look at the cranks. Again OEM cranks on the XC were lower spec and save a few hundred grams w/ new cranks. Personally I love the Shimano SLX.

Tires. Well there is a whole other debate, and really up to personal preference. Trying to save weight, roll faster, grip better? I run a 2.4 in the front and 2.2 in the rear. I couldn't dream of ever running less than a 2.2 even on my "light" bike, but this is because I charge downhill and really couldn't care about how fast I climb (but I do like technical climbs where a grippier tire helps). I also run tubeless which depending on the setup can save weight, but normally is a wash. I really like Continental tires. They have a really great lineup and tires in almost every category, size and weight. so check them out. I used to like Specialized tires, but they switched designs and construction, and I had some bad experiences.

So after all of that, my best recommendation is to really know what you want before getting a new frame or new components. The best way to do this is to ride multiple bikes at demos or asking to borrow somebodies bike. I went through four complete bikes and two frames to find exactly what I wanted in total package. It was expensive but now I know how I want my frame to fit, handle, and perform. I also know what cranks, wheels, tires, saddle, shifters, derailleurs, and brakes I like. I can look at a geometry chart for a frame and know whether or not I will like it. I will also never by a complete bike again, or if I do I will sell off all the components and keep the frame b/c I know exactly what I want.

Hope that helps. If you can give some more info we might be able to steer you towards frames, parts that fit.
diggingtrail

Postby ScottyB » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:40 pm

diggingtrail wrote:
ScottyB wrote:So right now I ride a 2008 Specialized FSR XC Comp. This bike is noticeably more heavy than what I was riding before (Older model FS RockHopper). If I got a new frame can I just swap the parts? Another reason for this is the frame I have now is one size to big for me I think. Also thinking about getting smaller tires? I have 26x2 right now if i'm not mistaken. Again on the old bike the tires did seem much smaller and I think I liked those more.

Thoughts?

First for yourself and for us to help you have to answer a few questions. What kind of riding do you prefer? Flat and fast, downhill and chunky, slow and technical, climbing? Does your current bike fit right? Is it just the weight that you don't like about the bike, what else don't you like about it? Why don't you like the tires? Grip, weight, how they perform when transitioning between center and edge knobs? Do you throw your bike into corners, or lean it? These will determine what style frame and components will suit you best.

Yes, you should be able to swap most if not all parts to a new frame. Seatpost may be a different size and some new bikes are going to press fit bottom brackets, but those would basically be your only issues.
That said, if you are only chasing weight and not fit/geometry, a new frame is not the best money spent. Look at your components first. Start with the wheels. Spend even just a few hundred bucks on new wheels and you will most likely save weight and gain speed (lower rotational weight equals faster acceleration and more maneuverability). The fork is another place to lose close to a pound. The FSR XC used to come w/ a really heavy lower end fork. Again a few hundred bucks, especially shopping on Ebay, will get you a nice fork at a lower weight and better performance. Next I would look at the cranks. Again OEM cranks on the XC were lower spec and save a few hundred grams w/ new cranks. Personally I love the Shimano SLX.

Tires. Well there is a whole other debate, and really up to personal preference. Trying to save weight, roll faster, grip better? I run a 2.4 in the front and 2.2 in the rear. I couldn't dream of ever running less than a 2.2 even on my "light" bike, but this is because I charge downhill and really couldn't care about how fast I climb (but I do like technical climbs where a grippier tire helps). I also run tubeless which depending on the setup can save weight, but normally is a wash. I really like Continental tires. They have a really great lineup and tires in almost every category, size and weight. so check them out. I used to like Specialized tires, but they switched designs and construction, and I had some bad experiences.

So after all of that, my best recommendation is to really know what you want before getting a new frame or new components. The best way to do this is to ride multiple bikes at demos or asking to borrow somebodies bike. I went through four complete bikes and two frames to find exactly what I wanted in total package. It was expensive but now I know how I want my frame to fit, handle, and perform. I also know what cranks, wheels, tires, saddle, shifters, derailleurs, and brakes I like. I can look at a geometry chart for a frame and know whether or not I will like it. I will also never by a complete bike again, or if I do I will sell off all the components and keep the frame b/c I know exactly what I want.

Hope that helps. If you can give some more info we might be able to steer you towards frames, parts that fit.

I like a good mix of everything you mentioned, my climbing seems to have suffered since I got this bike.The bike fits good for me, mainly the weight I don't like.

Tires / wheels I would like to save weight.
I run 2.0 all around, again not sure how much weight I would save. But the old bike had smaller tires and the wheels did seem to weigh less.
Where would be a good place to look for wheels?

My fork is: RockShox Tora 302 SL
My crankset is: Shimano M442-8

Thanks for the good read!
ScottyB

Postby diggingtrail » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:49 pm

ScottyB wrote:I like a good mix of everything you mentioned, my climbing seems to have suffered since I got this bike.The bike fits good for me, mainly the weight I don't like.

Tires / wheels I would like to save weight.
I run 2.0 all around, again not sure how much weight I would save. But the old bike had smaller tires and the wheels did seem to weigh less.
Where would be a good place to look for wheels?

My fork is: RockShox Tora 302 SL
My crankset is: Shimano M442-8

Thanks for the good read!

One of your issues climbing may be the FSR suspension design. It squats while peddling uphill, especially when encountering an obstacle (in my experience). This can be compensated for with technique change, or a rear shock w/ propedal or similar feature.

Wheel weight/tire weight is a huge factor in climbing, and the best upgrade path. Check here for wheels: http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping ... egory=3655
crsmithpe (search his name on here) just bought a wheel from them and seemed to be happy with it. PM me for coupon codes for 10-15% off an order there. Figure between 300-700 for wheels (700-750 will get you a set of used I-9's on Ebay). Like I said I wouldn't go smaller on tires. Traction would really suffer on our soil/trail tread that we have here in York.

A new fork will save you about .5-1.5 lb. Best bet, look on Ebay for a used Fox float 120mm or Rock Shox Reba (2010) or possibly a new Rock Shox Recon from the above website. A new Fox fork is 700+, worth it for the performance if you know that you will be able to use it on another bike, but best to hold off on new.

Cranksets can be had new for 100-200. Will save about .5 lb maybe a little more depending on crankset chosen. Nice savings for cost but not as noticeable as wheels.
Last edited by diggingtrail on Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed link
diggingtrail

Postby ScottyB » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:38 pm

My fork and rear shock have a lockout and rebound feature. I don't think I used the lockout for uphill yet, I will have to try that..

Just for the heck of it I weighed my front wheel/tire/brake disc tonight and it came out to 5 pounds. The rear would be the same since it is also disc brake. Right there is 10 pounds. Not sure if that is good or bad. I didn't see any wheel weight specs on the site you mentioned, maybe I missed it.

I deff want a new fork, this one is pretty rough on the trails I doesn't do much for the bumps.

Sent you a PM.
ScottyB

Postby finsout » Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:29 pm

partial thread hijack here but what are the thoughts on FS 29ers. I'm def getting a FS bike soon and like the Specialize Camber 29er but I'm reading alot saying that a FS 29er is overkill.
I'm a county parks trail user and I vote!
finsout

Postby Glancing Aft » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:07 pm

finsout wrote:partial thread hijack here but what are the thoughts on FS 29ers. I'm def getting a FS bike soon and like the Specialize Camber 29er but I'm reading alot saying that a FS 29er is overkill.

most likely spoken by someone who hasn't spent much if any time on a a FS 29er. Best advise is to get out there and ride everything you can. Try to find demo days, and if none are around make friends with strangers. It's amazing how willing people are to let you try their bike if you ask nicely. I think one of the problems is that most people have a very limited experiences with different bikes so they instantly assume that their bike is the best out there and will give you unfounded opinions. If you haven't seen it Twenty Nine Inches had a good preview on the Camber http://twentynineinches.com/2010/07/23/specialized-press-camp-report-4-camber-pro-29/
I'd also say check out the Niner Rip and Ellseworth Evolution. I've spent some time on both of those bikes and they are awesome!
Then again I might not be the best person to give you advice since I've been spending most of my time on a rigid fixie lately :lol:
Glancing Aft

Postby finsout » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:04 am

Thanks fro the info. Basically my decision is going to be made by Roundtop. If they move forward with DH biking them I'm going to get a more DH oriented bike. If they don't, I'm getting the Camber 29er.
I'm a county parks trail user and I vote!
finsout

Return to General MTB Discussion