Jeans for colder riding

Post your general mountain biking related topics here

Jeans for colder riding

Postby finsout » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:49 am

I'm seeing more and more people wearing jeans for colder weather riding. Anybody on here do it? Do you just wear a chamois under them?
I'm a county parks trail user and I vote!
finsout

Re: Jeans for colder riding

Postby Glancing Aft » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:08 am

Real men wear tights ;)

Go pick yourself up a pair. You will thank me when it's 20 degrees out. Jeans simply won't cut it. After all this is mountain biking, not a fashion show :p
Glancing Aft

Postby finsout » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:14 am

not big on spandex..... :D :D :D Plus once Roundtop opens I'm pretty much camped out in the halfpipe.
finsout

Postby knobbysideup » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:21 am

Glancing Aft wrote:Real men wear tights ;)

Go pick yourself up a pair. You will thank me when it's 20 degrees out. Jeans simply won't cut it. After all this is mountain biking, not a fashion show :p

Who rides their bike in cold weather?!? Bring on the snow!! Bring the rivers up!! I've never been uncomfortable on my board. Whether I like water when it's cold out is yet to be seen. But on my bike, I'm always freezing my damned toes off. Then there's the stuck gearing, frozen camelback, hyper-painful impact with frozen dirt, cleats that do not engage or disengage properly (ask me how I broke my ankle twice) etc..

But, alas, it beats sitting around on the sofa, and there's no lift or shuttle required! Bring out the studded tires!
:(){ :|:& };:
knobbysideup

Postby ls1der » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:24 am

Totally agree with GA. Tights are the way to go. Being cold stinks! I just cover them with a pair of technical shorts 'cause I don't dig the spandex look either. They are so effective that I wear them under jeans for cold weather motorcycle rides too.
Scott Ramsay
ls1der

Postby finsout » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:25 am

I'd switch to platform pedals if I rode in the serious cold. I would be looking at late Nov early Dec and then in March. I either surf or snowboard in the dead of winter.
finsout

Postby Glancing Aft » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:37 am

knobbysideup wrote:Who rides their bike in cold weather?!? Bring on the snow!!

Apparently I do! Last year between December and March I managed to put in over 1,200 miles on my bike. Riding in the winter is amazing (providing you have the right gear). I also managed to do this while still getting in 35 days of skiing, including 10 of which where in over knee deep pow in Utah, Vermont, NY, and PA 8-)

finsout,
I picked up these last winter for riding and they have been nothing but amazing, http://www.louisgarneau.com/us-en/product/305567/1487057/Shoes/0_ERGO_GRIP_SHOES
And here's to hoping for a half decent half pipe at roundtop this winter!
Glancing Aft

Postby finsout » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:49 am

haha. I don't hold my breath since we only ever had 1 and a half seasons of good pipes but the super pipe is gone.
finsout

Postby Glancing Aft » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:18 am

finsout wrote:haha. I don't hold my breath since we only ever had 1 and a half seasons of good pipes but the super pipe is gone.

Yeah, the current one sucks, but it's better than yet another jib park...
Glancing Aft

Return to General MTB Discussion