Tubeless Bontrager wheels

Post your general mountain biking related topics here

Tubeless Bontrager wheels

Postby mtmajor » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:33 pm

I Have recently Bought a 2010 Fisher Paragon. It came with bontrager tubeless ready wheels. I thought now would be a good time to try going tubeless. Does anyone have any advice for me before I begin. I picked up the recomended rim stips for those wheels at adventure and valve stems with removable cores.They told me if the strips were not allready installed I would need them. I also have a bottle of stans sealant. I think I will take the wheels into work since we have a high power air compressor in the shop. Any advice or anecdote's would be welcome.
Thanks
Mike M.
mtmajor

Re: Tubeless Bontrager wheels

Postby danwalko » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:33 pm

Hey Mike...

As you probably already know...I have the same model from 2009 and did the same thing with the tires back in February. This was my first attempt at tubeless. I recommend you watch the videos on the Stan's web site.. They walk you thru the entire process. Mine went smoothly except I could not get it to stop leaking near the valve. I eventually had to slice some rubber off the rim strips near the valves to get them to seal. Once I had them sealed they were great. That is until I sliced the tire at Raystown. One thing I realized later... the Stan's sealant says you need 2 scoops for larger tires. With it being a 29er...I was told 3 scoops is even better. Their directions don't really address the 29" tires.

I bought new tires last week. I only mounted the rear so far (a Kenda)...it is still leaking air slowly.. Drops about 20lbs per day. Not sure what I did wrong...May have to try it again. Just be patient. Tubeless is great once you get it sealed properly.

Good luck. Dan
danwalko

Postby Glancing Aft » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:53 pm

I agree with what Dan said, for 29er tires it's best to use 3 scoops. Also it's good to add some fresh sealant in there every 3 months.
Glancing Aft

Postby diggingtrail » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:16 pm

I don't have much to add except three things.
1. Real tubeless tires will seal up more rapidly, this is b/c the sidewalls are already airtight. Tubeless ready tires are next in the ability to hold air as their beads are supposed to match or closely match the UST spec but the sidewalls are not airtight. Last are regular tires, shouldn't be used but many people do have success w/ them.
2. After adding the stans and getting the bead seated, hold the air pressure around 50-60 psi. Put the skewer thru the hub and spin the tire, holding onto the skewer so the wheel spins freely. As the wheel is spinning slowly rotate the wheel from vertical to horizontal (like playing with a gyroscope) and back a few times. This will evenly coat the entire tire and rimstrip w/ stans.
3. Do not ride for at least 24 hours. Keep checking air pressure, maintaining at least 40 psi to push the stans into all the crevices.

good luck. Tubeless is really the way to go. I will never run tubes again.
kevin

oh and I guess a 4th. Make sure to shake the stans very, very good before using.
diggingtrail

Postby mtmajor » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:04 pm

Thanks for the advice everyone. Dan did your wheels have a seeling stip inside already? Mine have a strip inside that says it is good to 100 psi. It does not look as substantial as the bontrager ones.
I did try inflating the front wheel with the pre-installed strip and it seems to be holding air OK. I did get alot of sealant leaking from the spokes at first. I was thinking that was kinda normal.
Also the stans video was helpfull.
mtmajor

Postby danwalko » Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:30 pm

No.... my original tires had no sealing strip. I had to order the Bontrager rim strips.

And my new Kenda tire specifically said not to use Stans with it...only a tube. I think I likely bought the wrong thing to run tubeless because it is not leaking around the rim, at the valve or at the spokes. I think the tire is somewhat porous and just leaks air. Oh well...live and learn.. I will see how it is the rest of the summer.
danwalko

Return to General MTB Discussion