Helmet?

Post your general mountain biking related topics here

Helmet?

Postby kenenfuego » Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:25 pm

Newbie here, still! I need a helmet so I can go on rides in the area, and I've also been spending a lot of time near Charlotte, NC and want to start riding there as well, but I don't have a helmet. So I have a few questions:

Where is a good place to get one? What can I expect to pay for a decent one? Is a Wal-Mart helmet good enough, or should I go to a bike shop or find something online? What brands/types are preferred by all of you on here?

Thanks ahead of time for the help and tips!!

Ken
kenenfuego

Re: Helmet?

Postby diggingtrail » Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:02 pm

Ken, I highly recommend going to a shop to try on helmets. There is a big difference between a Wally-world helmet and one purchased in a shop. Sure the wally one should meet all applicable standards but it will be heavier and hotter. I use a Bell Variant. However everybody's head is different. What is comfortable for me may not be for you. Look to spend anywhere from $45 to $145 on a decent to very good helmet. Main difference from low price to high will be weight and the number of cooling vents.

kevin
diggingtrail

Re: Helmet?

Postby kenenfuego » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:07 am

Thanks! I'll be looking to get one very soon! There's a shop near my place in Hanover so I'll go there to see what they have. Thanks again!
kenenfuego

Return to General MTB Discussion