Ski Roundtop

Post your general mountain biking related topics here

Ski Roundtop

Postby padave » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:48 pm

Does anyone know if Roundtop allows mtbing, and if so how is it.
padave

Re: Ski Roundtop

Postby Glancing Aft » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:34 am

They currently do not offer mountain biking, although word is they are looking into adding it into there summer activities. It would be great to get some local lift serviced riding in I think!
Glancing Aft

Postby diggingtrail » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:32 pm

Like Will said, MTBing isn't allowed at the time. However Skip and then I were contacted by a person who was, at least at the time, an employee of Ski Roundtop about MTBing there. He was trying to work w/ the management to open the property up to MTBing in the off season months, and wanted YAMBA's help. Problem is we are to busy just maintaining the three county parks where biking is allowed.

There is interest amongst the staff and possibly management/ownership at Ski Rountop though, but there are big hurdles that need to be overcome. First the ownership needs to see that it will be at least marginally profitable, then somebody has to build and maintain trails. Personally I would love to see it happen, but if YAMBA is to have anything to do with it, which would be in everybody's best interest, we need more help. The MTB community really does need to come together better here in south central PA and show that we are willing to spend our money here at home and are willing to build, and maintain our riding spots.

kevin
diggingtrail

Postby TurnerRFX » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:19 pm

Check out this old tread...http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showth ... p?t=215956. It seems to me that Roundtop would have no problem getting help.
TurnerRFX

Postby Glancing Aft » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:58 pm

I keep bugging roundtop on their facebook page to get something going. They keep saying that they are talking about it. I'll go out and buy a downhill bike if it happens for sure!
Glancing Aft

Postby finsout » Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:46 am

having worked with Roundtop over the last 20 plus years on various projects, i will tell you that the management up there is less than stellar. they are very good at telling people what they want to hear but are usually very weak on execution.
I'm a county parks trail user and I vote!
finsout

Postby japerf1 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:30 pm

I think Roundtop was slow to make changes for years. In the last couple of years they have stepped up there game. Since they are running a lift all summer as it shouldn't be much more hassle to start running bikes up. I think they could get a couple of different groups or clubs to help out with the build. I'd be into riding there for sure.
Patrick
japerf1

Postby Glancing Aft » Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:50 pm

A week or so ago I was up there to finally experience the new deck for some happy hour drinks... I was actually pleasantly surprised by it. It got me thinking how nice it would be to go up there take a few runs and then kick back some beers on the deck... Come on, I need an excuse to buy a downhill bike! I'm not driving to Diablo every weekend!
Glancing Aft

Postby diggingtrail » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:54 pm

I didn't know that the lifts were running year round now. That is one hurdle down. Does anybody in the club have experience writing proposals? I would be more than willing to do draft design of trail layout and features, oh how I would love to do real features. However I have no clue about how to put together a real proposal of the magnitude that would be required.

If there is serious interest please post in this thread or PM me for additional thoughts/ideas.
diggingtrail

Postby Glancing Aft » Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:48 pm

Kevin,
I would be up for helping out but I have very little to offer other than my love of biking and some time.
Glancing Aft

Postby japerf1 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:51 pm

I have heard that a big concern they have is about patrolling the trails. It sounds like they want a park type of set up on the front side that would be easy for them to patrol like the ski slopes are. I'd be into some downhill and dual slolom type action for sure. A XC trail starting at the top of Ramrod and Gunbarrel that would wrap aroound the back of the mountain and end up somewhere over by the paint ball area would be fun. Roundtop ownes plenty of surrounding land to build a great trail network. I'm thinking they have equipment to make trail building go pretty fast.
Patrick
japerf1

Postby finsout » Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:43 pm

does anyone have more info on this? I am bike shopping and if RT does biking then I am getting a DH bike.
finsout

Postby finsout » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:08 am

I spoke to the marketing director at RT and he said that DH biking will be considered at the Nov board meeting. I urge anyone who wants this to email RT and voice your opinion.
finsout

Postby diggingtrail » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:20 am

finsout wrote:I spoke to the marketing director at RT and he said that DH biking will be considered at the Nov board meeting. I urge anyone who wants this to email RT and voice your opinion.

Do you have contact info? Name, position, email? Who would it be best to direct email to? Thanks
diggingtrail

Postby finsout » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:09 am

skiroundtop@skiroundtop.com is the generic login. the GM is at rhawkes@skiroundtop.com
finsout

Postby diggingtrail » Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:29 pm

finsout wrote:skiroundtop@skiroundtop.com is the generic login. the GM is at rhawkes@skiroundtop.com

Thanks for the email addresses. I'm going to post these up and a request for emails on some other forums as well.
diggingtrail

Postby finsout » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:36 am

Update--I spoke to Ron on Saturday and he told me that they are seriously looking at mountain biking for a summer activity BUT they will probably not do it this year. The big concern is around safety and how the trails will be inspected by Ski (Bike) Patrol as well as how injured bikers would be removed to receive care. based on everything he told me, RT is very serious in working out these details so I urge everyone to email and express interest. If they see enough potential dollars, they will have biking...eventually.
finsout

Postby Glancing Aft » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:08 pm

I saw it on FB, and here's a link to their blog post. Definitely no mountain biking coming soon :(
http://skiroundtop.wordpress.com/2011/03/24/2011-2012-roundtop-improvements/
Glancing Aft

Postby finsout » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:49 am

I saw that too. I wonder what happened to get them to change so abruptly. I smell lawyers tho or internal Roundtop politics (more then likely the SnoTime CEO didn't want RT to succeed too much. I can pretty much guarantee that mt biking would have brought in WAY more money than OGO balls. I'm boycotting RT over the summer for this decision.

I hear that Spring Mt has biking so will probably hit that. Anybody ride there last year?
finsout

Postby MattK » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:11 pm

Some chit chat here: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=689674

I rode there once last year. If not for Blue closing, I'd probably never go back. It wasn't terrible, but just had no flow. It was straight up freeride, not DH.

They mention some improvements this year, and with Blue closed, I'll be back to check it out again.
MattK

Return to General MTB Discussion