Unity ride

Post your general mountain biking related topics here

Unity ride

Postby Bob » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:45 pm

I am writing this because I need a little help in such a short time. I have never done a ride like this one before, I guess I don't like to think about the realities of my line of work all the time. But to the point, I was wondering if any member has ever done a bike ride, but had to ask for donations for it. As most of you know, I am a Detective in the Baltimore City Police Department. I plan on riding the Police Unity Ride from upstate New Jersey to Washington D.C. in remembrance of my partner in the gang unit. His name is Sam Hicks and I was partnered with him on the street for a little over five years. Sam was shot and killed in the line of duty shortly after he joined the FBI, Pittsburgh Field Office while serving a search warrant on a drug suspect. To meet Sam yourself go to:

http://nleomf.blogspot.com/2009/11/reme ... imore.html

To enter this ride, I have to raise at least $1,700.00 which will be given over to the Police Memorial Foundation on our arrival in Washington D.C. Some of this money goes to the police memorial foundation, but most of it goes to each fallen officers families. The ride starts on 09 May 2010 in Florham Park, New Jersey and ends on 12 May 2010 in Washigton D.C. This is approximately 300 miles with some rest stops along the way with both mountain bike and road bikes alike. I plan on taking the road bike; Thanks again Greg!!

The question I have, does anybody know any "bike friendly" businesses around the area to maybe get some donations from?

Has anyone ever done a ride like this?

I am not asking for donations from any members of this forum, just advice/knowledge for answers.

To visit the ride itself just go to:

Thanks in advance

Bob Himes

Return to General MTB Discussion