Ridge Still Closed?

Post your general mountain biking related topics here

Ridge Still Closed?

Postby Glancing Aft » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:31 pm

So my understanding is that the York County Park System is implementing a new trail closure policy where they will not treat Rocky Ridge differently than the other parks, so either all trails are closed or open. So meaning when Spring Valley is a swampy bog, Rocky Ridge will be closed. This system is pretty ridiculous given the difference in topography, soil types, and ecosystems at the different parks. Right now for instants, there is absolutely zero reason for Rocky Ridge to be closed. In fact, having the bike traffic in there would do a lot to help clean up the trails of leaves and small winter debris.

As our local advocacy group, of which I paid to be a member, I would like to know what YAMBA is doing to try to convince the parks to overturn this ridiculous new policy.
If this policy remains in place I fear it will be bad for the future relationship between parks and the mountain bike community since people will ride the trails at the Ridge when the are closed causing further friction with the parks.
Thank You,
Will
Glancing Aft

Re: Ridge Still Closed?

Postby RockyMountainSkip » Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:13 am

Hi Will,

I am not sure where you heard this but there is no new trail open/close policy. After the snow melt and just normal freeze/thaw that happens during the Winter months, the Parks most likely will have Rocky Ridge closed more than what they normally do to allow its trails to dry out, but there is no policy in place to open and close all three parks in conjunction with one another. Rocky Ridge most likely will be open today but the Lakes and Spring Valley will remain closed, so check the Parks' Twitter feed or call the number to see if Rocky Ridge does get opened.

Hope all is well and take care,

Skip
RockyMountainSkip

Re: Ridge Still Closed?

Postby danwalko » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:32 pm

Hey Will and others who were interested in the Parks response to this thread... The reply from the Parks follows:

Hi Dan,
There is no new policy. In the winter time and during spring thaw we do close Rocky Ridge for longer periods due to the amount of time it takes to dry out the trails. This policy has been in place since we started the open closure program for the trails in the York County Parks. Nothing has changed…except the extreme snowfall and the long lasting winter has keep Rocky Ridge Trails closed for longer periods.

Thanks!

Michael Fobes
Manager of Natural Resources
York County Department of Parks & Recreation
Office: 717.840.7228
Cell: 717-324-5624
danwalko

Return to General MTB Discussion