Trail Conditions on Home page

Trail Conditions on Home page

Postby diggingtrail » Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:12 am

Trail conditions are now on the Home page. They are on the left hand side under the sidebar. Mouse over the different parks to see the status of each. We'll try to keep these updated on a daily basis, unless there is an extended dry or wet period in which the status should not change.
diggingtrail

Re: Trail Conditions on Home page

Postby knobbysideup » Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:18 am

Here's an idea:

Give the parks the ability to edit that status, and an embedded link that they can put on their own web page. It would save them from answering all of those phone calls every day, and then you have the source of the information themselves actually publishing it, vs. us having to, um, call them every day :-)

A way to give back without having to actually be their web developers.

Also, mouseovers are a horrible interface. Please make those buttons instead, or better yet, just publish all the statuses without all the worthless distracting animation "just because I can". There's no reason for a graphic there. A simple open or closed and the date will suffice.
:(){ :|:& };:
knobbysideup

Postby diggingtrail » Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:43 pm

knobbysideup wrote:Here's an idea:

Give the parks the ability to edit that status, and an embedded link that they can put on their own web page. It would save them from answering all of those phone calls every day, and then you have the source of the information themselves actually publishing it, vs. us having to, um, call them every day :-)

A way to give back without having to actually be their web developers.

Good idea Greg. However, I'm not giving out the root password to more than 1-2 YAMBA members (ie skip). I don't want to chance anybody screwing w/ the html. What would be really good is to switch around what you suggested. The parks could write something to show on their website and then give me the embed link. Then they could log in to their site and edit their html, and automagically it would show up on our site as well. However they were approached about this and there is nobody that is comfortable enough in the parks dept to do that. :(
diggingtrail

Postby egrove » Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:59 pm

knobbysideup wrote:Here's an idea:

...Also, mouseovers are a horrible interface. Please make those buttons instead, or better yet, just publish all the statuses without all the worthless distracting animation "just because I can". There's no reason for a graphic there. A simple open or closed and the date will suffice.

I agree, having the status on the homepage is great, but just show all of them so they can be seen at a glance. The animation adds no value and actually makes it take longer to see the status.
egrove

Return to News and Announcements