Should YAMBA join the IMBA Chapter Program?

Poll ended at Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:50 am

Yes
100%
No
No votes

Total votes : 5

Postby danwalko » Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:50 am

YAMBA is considering joining the IMBA Chapter Program and we would like some feedback from our members before we make a final decision. While there are some up front costs to the club, we believe there will be a long term benefit to the club as well as to our mission of promoting sustainable mountain biking within York County.

YAMBA’s participation in the IMBA Chapter Program would result in all members also becoming IMBA members at their next renewal. All membership fees would be split between YAMBA and IMBA. The minimum IMBA membership is currently $30 for individuals and $50 for family memberships. IMBA provides many member benefits including: tax exempt status for all membership fees, the Subaru VIP program, discounts and deals on other gear and merchandise, and travel deals. A full explanation of the benefits of IMBA membership can be found at: http://www.imba.com/membership/individual/benefits

Benefits to YAMBA would include significant assistance with managing membership, organizational support, further discounts on club insurance, further discounts on tools and other equipment, consultation with IMBA’s trail care crew and Trail Solutions Team. By joining the IMBA Chapter program, YAMBA would further align ourselves with the largest mountain biking advocacy group in the United States and hopefully allow us to gain more members locally.

We would really like feedback from our membership before making a decision on this important issue. Please post any feedback here or feel free to send an email to danwalko@yahoo.com. Please reply by March 31st.
danwalko

Re: Should YAMBA join the IMBA Chapter Program?

Postby ken » Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:27 pm

I think this would be a good thing to do, but have a few questions:

What happens if I am already both a YAMBA and IMBA member with different renewal dates? Which renewal date would apply?
Would this give YAMBA tax exempt status?
If I were to make an additional donation along with the membership fee, would I be able to specify where the donation goes or how it is split (IMBA vs YAMBA)?
ken

Postby danwalko » Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:46 pm

Hey Ken....

to answer your questions...

Whichever renewal date is the furthest away...that will be when you renew with YAMBA/IMBA. So for example...IMBA renewal is on 4/1/2012 and YAMBA renewal is on 7/1/2012... Your renewal for the YAMBA/IMBA Chapter would be 7/1/2012.

Yes...this would give us 503c3 status which makes your membership and other donations tax deductible.

Additional individual donations are kept by the club unless they are the result of a combined YAMBA/IMBA fundraising event. Only the membership fee and any group event donations would be split 60% IMBA/40% YAMBA.

Thanks for the feedback!
danwalko

Postby ScottyB » Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:33 pm

Might be a stupid question but..
When you say further discounts on club insurance.
What's club insurance?

Also will this allow us to have better trail signage?
ScottyB

Postby danwalko » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:05 pm

Scotty...

The club purchases liability insurance to protect the club. It is quite costly -- $700-$800 per year. The Chapter program would provide a 15% discount.

And no....probably won't help with the signage issue. We would have to tackle that on our own with our own funds.
danwalko

Postby Glancing Aft » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:28 pm

I fully support it. IMBA is a great organization and falling under their umbrella seems to me for a good direction for the club to go.
Glancing Aft

Postby knobbysideup » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:51 pm

Hey Dan,

Please stop mailing these things to me separately. You guys have this forum for YAMBA stuff, and it was strongly argued to not have a mailing list. I'd appreciate it if you would stick to the decision that was made.

Having officers who can have access to a list of users (who never opted in, btw) to spam while not providing those users the same is, well, very uncool IMHO.

Take care,

-- Greg
:(){ :|:& };:
knobbysideup

Postby diggingtrail » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:07 pm

Just found that IMBA got a 4 star rating on Charity Navigator. Charity Navigator reviews nonprofits on how well they use donations to actually fund the programs that those charities advocate for. IMBA scored a 63.8 out of 70. Details at: http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.c ... rgid=10677
diggingtrail

Return to News and Announcements