Here We Go!!!

Here We Go!!!

Postby diggingtrail » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:32 pm

30 min until I start the switchover. Let's hope all goes well and by the morning this site is Yamba.org. We shall see. Fingers crossed. Both sites will most likely be down until the morning so don't panic. Let that to me. :D
diggingtrail

Re: Here We Go!!!

Postby diggingtrail » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:22 pm

Part 1 done. The old yamb.org is down. The new site here is going to be going down next. Have a good night and see you sometime tomorrow.
diggingtrail

Re: Here We Go!!! Update

Postby diggingtrail » Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:00 am

Ok, yamba.org is still down and yorkareamountainbikers.org never went down, yamba.org has not yet resolved to the new host. I did contact the webhost, but their support hours aren't until 8am mountain time. So we are looking at maybe 12p our time until yamba.org is up. I did warn this could take 24hrs. Hang in there.
diggingtrail

Postby Glancing Aft » Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:12 am

Kevin, Keep up the good work! This has got to be stressful for you!
Glancing Aft

Postby knobbysideup » Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:57 am

Heh, I'm late for this, but here's how you would normally make it work more seemlessly:

1) set the DNS expiration time to an hour or less on the current domain.
2) wait a week for that to propagate. Then people going to your site will always hit authoritative if it's been more than one hour (or whatever you set the new expiration to).
3) make the change. Because of 2), people should hit the new site right away.
4) change your expiration time back to whatever it should be on your domain.

Ideally, you'd actually wait however long the old expiration time was before making the change, but a week is a good rule of thumb.
:(){ :|:& };:
knobbysideup

Postby diggingtrail » Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:08 am

knobbysideup wrote:Heh, I'm late for this, but here's how you would normally make it work more seemlessly:

1) set the DNS expiration time to an hour or less on the current domain.
2) wait a week for that to propagate. Then people going to your site will always hit authoritative if it's been more than one hour (or whatever you set the new expiration to).
3) make the change. Because of 2), people should hit the new site right away.
4) change your expiration time back to whatever it should be on your domain.

Ideally, you'd actually wait however long the old expiration time was before making the change, but a week is a good rule of thumb.

Day late, dollar short.

Already changed the nameserver on the registrar. Where the issue is now is that yorkareamoutainbikers.org and the new site are "tied" together. When I created the new site I registered the new domain w/ the hosting company so that we would have a live site for testing before switchover. Hosts can be difficult when trying to change the domain that points to your hosted site, especially when using a different registrar than theirs. We'll have it up in a few hours hopefully.
diggingtrail

Postby diggingtrail » Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:39 am

Wahooooooooo! Yamba.org now points to the front page of the new site. I still have to hand edit all the links in the navigation bar. I will do that in the next few hours. In the meantime all pages can be accessed by substituting yorkareamountainbikers with yamba. ie yorkareamountainbiers.org/forum is now yamba.org/forum
diggingtrail

Postby diggingtrail » Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:54 pm

Transition to the new site is complete! All links have been updated. Welcome to the new YAMBA.org! :P

One note: RSS feeds will need to be re-subscribed to since the website address has changed.
diggingtrail

Postby danwalko » Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:01 pm

Nice job Kevin.. Thanks for all your work on this. The new site is a great improvement over the last one. The google maps work great on my Ipod, the RSS feed is awesome to quickly check whats happening in the forum and the subscribe option gives me emails for the topics I want to be sure I don't miss.

Thanks!
danwalko

Postby Evans » Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:43 pm

All seems to be working good on my end now Kevin !!! Thanks for all the time put into this site !!
Evans

Postby diggingtrail » Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:50 pm

Well almost 48 hours from the switchover and some issues are popping up. Glad we could work yours out Evans. :D Still a few more to go, the photos page login isn't working right so I need to fix that. It may wait until tomorrow though. Thanks for the patience folks. If anybody else has problems, PM me or post in the feedback section. Thanks
diggingtrail

Postby diggingtrail » Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:52 pm

Photo page login working again!
diggingtrail

Return to News and Announcements