York County Parks - 2010 Deer Hunting Schedule

York County Parks - 2010 Deer Hunting Schedule

Postby danwalko » Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:49 am

Just a reminder for everyone. Both Rocky Ridge and William Kain (The Lakes) Parks will be completely CLOSED to all users except hunters on the following days:
--Tuesday, November 30
--Wednesday, December 1
--Monday, December 6
--Tuesday, December 7

For your own safety, please stay out of the parks on these dates. The Parks allow hunting using certain types of rifles on these days and we certainly don't want any mountain bikers getting shot! :(
danwalko

Re: York County Parks - 2010 Deer Hunting Schedule

Postby Glancing Aft » Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:49 am

but I thought York County Parks never closed their trail system down for individual user groups? And I think we even have it in writing from them...

However, I'm not stupid enough to go and protest this one :D
Glancing Aft

Postby Sandie » Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:51 am

That's so ridiculous. There are a total of what, like 5 deer that live in both parks! Yeah, let's kill what little wild life there is. Brilliant thinking by the park commission. My personal favorite is when lazy ass hunters leave deer guts laying near the trail so all trail users can choke on the smell of rotten flesh. Thanks dudes.
Sandie Reynolds
~Mason Dixon Velo/The Cycle Works
Sandie

Postby ToddK » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:51 am

Hey Dan, thanks for the heads up. I'll be sure to stay out of the parks on those days.
ToddK

Postby knobbysideup » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:30 am

Sandie wrote:That's so ridiculous. There are a total of what, like 5 deer that live in both parks! Yeah, let's kill what little wild life there is. Brilliant thinking by the park commission. My personal favorite is when lazy ass hunters leave deer guts laying near the trail so all trail users can choke on the smell of rotten flesh. Thanks dudes.

I don't mind the hunting itself, per se. What annoys me is that we are not allowed to ride state gamelands, yet hunters can hunt on the few places we have left to ride. Lame. They have their exclusive areas, so make them use them.
:(){ :|:& };:
knobbysideup

Postby Sandie » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:24 am

EXCELLENT point Greg!
Sandie Reynolds
~Mason Dixon Velo/The Cycle Works
Sandie

Postby finsout » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:49 am

maybe someone should promote the idea of a pay to play system at the game lands for extra revenue? You have to buy a hunt license why not a biking license
I'm a county parks trail user and I vote!
finsout

Postby knobbysideup » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:21 pm

finsout wrote:maybe someone should promote the idea of a pay to play system at the game lands for extra revenue? You have to buy a hunt license why not a biking license

that was one of several 'solutions' offered by the community when this all went down. It's all political posturing. The reasons were 'trail damage' and 'disturbing wildlife habitat' just like always. And the next year, the land in qustion was logged. I'm not sure how the warzone during opening day of any big game season is so great for habitat vs cycling either.

lawmakers and land owners are not rational. Their interests are not in conservation although they will rally around that banner. One would argue money, but a lot of the boneheaded things they do contradicts that as well. Ergo your suggestion will not ever come to pass.

read up on the history of it all.
:(){ :|:& };:
knobbysideup

Return to News and Announcements