What No Mailing List? How do I get emails like the old site?

What No Mailing List? How do I get emails like the old site?

Postby diggingtrail » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:30 pm

The new site uses forum software instead of a mailing list. This allows for much more interactive use between YAMBA members, with photos, files, and links being able to be shared in each post. However, the forum will not send out an email every time there is a new post unless you request it to.

What the forums do allow however. is selective subscriptions. What this means is that you can chose which sub-forums you would like to subscribe to and receive emails when a new post is made. You can chose one sub-forum or all of them if you would like. To do this, you must first register for the forum, then login and navigate to a chosen sub-forum, say Trailwork for instance. Scroll down to the bottom of the page. There you will find a thin navigation bar with links on the left and the right. On the left had side there is a link with a checkbox beside it that reads "Subscribe Forum". By clicking this link you will receive an email each time a new post is made. In addition by posting to a topic you become subscribed to that topic, but only that topic (thread).

To manage your subscriptions enter the user control panel. This can be accessed by the link on the upper left hand side of the page. After entering the user control panel, click on the tab overview. There is a link for manage subscriptions on the left hand side where you can delete subscriptions.

Also see the post concerning RSS feeds. viewtopic.php?f=4&t=38

Thanks
Admin
Last edited by diggingtrail on Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:47 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Reason: added RSS feed post link
diggingtrail

Updated Notification System

Postby diggingtrail » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:19 pm

If you were an early adopter of the new forums and already subscribed to sub-forums or topics(threads) then you will have noticed that the notifications didn't include any text from the body of the post. Well now they do! Each notification will now include the topic, author and mssg.

Like before, and with most forums, you will not receive additional notifications until you visit the forums after receiving an email. This may be changed in the future if there is demand for it to be. EDIT: code has been changed. Emails will be sent with each post.

Thanks
Admin
Last edited by diggingtrail on Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: changed information to reflect new settings
diggingtrail

Re: What No Mailing List? How do I get emails like the old site?

Postby diggingtrail » Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:41 pm

Changed the code so that the forum will send an email with each post that is made, even if you have not visited the forums since the last email. This allows the forum to act almost like a mailing list.
diggingtrail

Postby knobbysideup » Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:49 am

I haven't been getting emails for my subscriptions lately. Anybody else having this problem?
:(){ :|:& };:
knobbysideup

Postby diggingtrail » Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:06 am

knobbysideup wrote:I haven't been getting emails for my subscriptions lately. Anybody else having this problem?

I got this thru email. I'm at work now. I'll check you account when I get home.
diggingtrail

Postby rmichels » Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:26 pm

I've been receiving emails notifications just fine.
rmichels

Postby danwalko » Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:38 pm

I also have been receiving my subscription emails just fine.
danwalko

Postby Glancing Aft » Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:14 am

everything seems to be working great for me as well!
Glancing Aft

Re: What No Mailing List? How do I get emails like the old s

Postby diggingtrail » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:48 pm

Updated the link in the first post for RSS feeds as it was long outdated.
diggingtrail

Return to News and Announcements