Dirtfest 2010

Re: Dirtfest 2010

Postby Glancing Aft » Thu May 13, 2010 9:53 pm

Just stay with all of us Sandie! I'll def. be making the trip back and forth between the festival alot. It should be especially fun with lights after the beer/bourbon tasting :p
Glancing Aft

Postby mtmajor » Fri May 14, 2010 12:26 pm

It looks like it will be my wife and I attending the festivities along with Murphy our golden retriever. Our daughter opted to go spend the weekend being spoiled with her grandmother. My brother won't be able to make it. I registerd both my wife and myself for the dirtfest activities.
Mike
mtmajor

Postby diggingtrail » Fri May 14, 2010 8:30 pm

From DirtRag
---------------------------------
You already registered for attending, but not camping, at DirtFest and know what a great time it’s going to be and how much fun we’ll all have. What you don’t know is some of the nitty gritty, so here it is real quick. Read it now, look at it Monday, and review Thursday.

1. Facilities – Accommodations
a. Parking: Limited parking is available for festival-only attendees in the Campground (about 100 spots.) For this reason, we have the shuttle and you have your bike.
b. Shuttle: Shuttle will be running to Susquehannock Campground from the Seven Points Recreation Area Mushroom public parking lot next to the beaches and shower facilities. The shuttle will make its route once an hour. (6pm-10pm Fri; 9am-12am Sat.) No bikes on the shuttle sorry. There are demos at the event.
c. Food-Water-Trash
i. Food: Limited food will be offered at the event. It is expected that you will feed yourself. Clubs can cook at some of the cook-out spots.
ii. Water: Bring your own water. There will be gallons available from Clems at the venue.
iii. Beer: Available during the beer tasting. You must have ID.

2. Driving/ Riding* to DirtFest:
Step One: Pull into Susquehannock Campground Road.
Step Two: Pull up to the traffic control volunteer and grab the vehicle registration ticket. Continue driving so we don’t have cars back up.
Step Three: Have your passenger (as you should be carpooling) fill it out with:
- Names of those who are registered and not
- Vehicle License Number and owner
Step Four: One mile down Susquehannock Road, you will be stopped by another volunteer. They will receive the ticket and event packets for those in the vehicle.
Step Five: You will park off to the left down alongside the gravel road. Just pay attention to the traffic volunteers – they’ll get you going.
*If you are riding in: Just go to the registration booth down at Sites 1-8 in the campground. This is where you get your packet of information and wristband. Please ride the trails down to the venue, as that’s what they are there for.
4. Recent Additions: (check out the website if it catches your eye.)
Events: Dirt Rag Coffee Clatch, IMBA MidAtlantic Summit, Bourbon Guy, NoTubes Custom Wheel Raffle, Dirty Event List gets details revealed.
Raffle Bike: John Upcraft has some beautiful work done on the 29er Steel Belt Drive SandS Coupled Rigid Event Bike and it is almost finished.
Beer: Elk Creek, Troegs, Pittsburgh Homebrewers, Weyerbacher, Yards, and there are a couple others showing up from some clubs and individuals. If you want to bring your local brew to the tasting, please contact us.

5. The Rules of DirtFest:
1. Come to have a good time.
2. You must have legal ID to drink.
3. Wear a helmet at all riding events.
4. Follow event trail signage.
5. No dogs, please.
6. No parking on campground roads, only in designated spaces.

We are a community of like-minded folks hanging out for the weekend/ Let’s make the most of it!

DRDF Organizers
diggingtrail

Postby Sandie » Sat May 15, 2010 2:40 pm

As much as we enjoy everyone's in YAMBA's company, I think Blake and I are going to stay at Dirt Fest. We're going to try to get 30-40 miles in on Saturday to get ready for the Mohican race and that's probably all the riding we are going to do, so being near the Dirt Fest activities will keep us occupied the rest of the time. Plus we would be too tempted to join you guys for the night rides if we camp with you. Have a great time and I really hope we do get to spend some time with you all. Big Meadows camp ground is a nice place to stay. Be safe and we look forward to seeing you all there.
Sandie & Blake
Sandie Reynolds
~Mason Dixon Velo/The Cycle Works
Sandie

Postby tfeeser » Sun May 16, 2010 1:01 pm

It's official, I'm in!

How and/or who do I pay/register for this since it's involving Yamba? Just do it through Bike Reg?

Travis
tfeeser

Postby diggingtrail » Sun May 16, 2010 1:39 pm

tfeeser wrote:It's official, I'm in!

How and/or who do I pay/register for this since it's involving Yamba? Just do it through Bike Reg?

Travis

Which camping area are you staying at? The group camp area w/ YAMBA, or the primitive camp where the activities are? If you are staying with us at the Group camp area, register for the events only on Bikreg, and then pay Dan for the camp site (about $10-15). If you are camping in the festival area register for both on Bikereg. Put YAMBA in as your club/team and they will try to group you with the others that are staying there. I think that is Jim Gable, Greg Spath, and Sandi & Blake.

kevin
diggingtrail

Postby knobbysideup » Sun May 16, 2010 1:56 pm

tfeeser wrote:It's official, I'm in!

Travis

Hey travis!

I believe that when I registered for the camp site down where the action is, that I affiliated myself with YAMBA. My bikereg receipt doesn't say, and messages to the organizers always get ignored.

Anywhoo...

If you want to be down where things are going on, then definitely register to camp and also the event. Worst case, I'm sure you could just give Dan some cash if they still have room up there, and you'd be set either way. If you affiliate yourself with YAMBA when you register, they should put you in a site near Me. I'll be there with Dad, Bonnie Beth, Susan, and a few kayaking and snowboarding friends from Uller's and also up near State College. I think Sandie and Blake will also be down in the susquehannock area as well.

If I have room, I may bring my boat and do some roll practice if anybody wants to play along. I may also be selling it soon to pick up a creeker and a playboat, if anybody is interested in jumping into the sport. There are some really nice streams in the area!
:(){ :|:& };:
knobbysideup

Postby tfeeser » Sun May 16, 2010 4:16 pm

Alrighty.. done deal.. If I don't like the primitive camping I'll go stay with the "others" on the next peninsula if space is available.. haha..
I'll more than likely be there Friday afternoon. Who else is going up and when?

Travis
tfeeser

Postby danwalko » Sun May 16, 2010 5:50 pm

Skip, Kevin and I are trying to leave early Friday morning. The official check in for the group site is not until 5pm but we are hoping to be able to get set up when we arrive (as long as no one was in the group site the night before). Either way...we are planning on getting in a ride on Friday after lunch.
danwalko

Postby tfeeser » Sun May 16, 2010 6:23 pm

Works for me Dan.. I can plan on early AM departure as well. Just keep me posted.

Travis
tfeeser

Postby knobbysideup » Sun May 16, 2010 8:11 pm

susquehannock check in opens @ 1. I'm trying to get there by then. I'm not sure yet about how I'm going to hook up with people. Will plan that this week and keep anybody interested posted.
knobbysideup

Postby knobbysideup » Wed May 19, 2010 9:06 am

Time to start coordinating.

What time are you guys planning to be at your campsite? If a group is caravanning, what time and where are you meeting (usually at the rutters on the way to roundtop, right?)

I have people to meet as well, so was thinking that the group campground may be a good place to rendevous with them, even though we are camping down at susquehannock. Susquehannock opens at 1, and I plan to be there around then, so maybe meet you guys at the meadow campground at 12:30 and decide on a time to ride, either from up there, or down where the venue is?
knobbysideup

Postby davestauffer » Wed May 19, 2010 8:23 pm

Dan,

I would like to reserve a tent site with yamba for dirtfest. I will be up there around lunch time.

Thanks

Dave Stauffer
davestauffer

Postby danwalko » Wed May 19, 2010 8:50 pm

Dave,

I have you on the list. See you Friday.

Dan
danwalko

Postby RockyMountainSkip » Tue May 25, 2010 11:41 am

Raystown Recap

27 YAMBA members hit the 32 miles of "roller coaster" like trails at Lake Raystown this past weekend. We had the perfect set-up with the group camping area which included a picnic pavilion with a fireplace, electric and water all readily available. We did close to 20 miles on Friday afternoon on the North side and another 13 miles over on the South side on Saturday morning. Some highlights were 1) Yikes, that's not a tube lying on the trail, that's a Black snake 2) Hey, where's our Bus driver? Oh she's running late because she ate her previous passengers and we cannot (though we wish we could) forget 3) Let me warm my buttocks by the fireplace wearing by Bahama boxer shorts :shock:

All I can say is ya just had to be there :D

A BIG "THANKS" goes out to Club Secretary Dan Walko for organizing this Raystown trip. Dan kept things super organized and kept everyone informed as plans were finalized for Dirtfest 2010. A good time was had by all and we hope to possibly plan another trip back to Raystown sometime in September if there is enough interest (and if Jim G. gets rid of that cursed tent of his that makes it rain everytime)!

See ya on the trails,

Skip
RockyMountainSkip

Postby knobbysideup » Tue May 25, 2010 1:20 pm

The susquehannock posse had a great time too. It was really nice being so close to the best trails on the top side without having to climb several miles first. That said, our camp site was horrible. I wouldn't even call it a campsite. There wasn't enough level ground on it for a single tent. It was also as far as you could get from the activities. I found this odd, considering what a large group we had compared to people in smaller groups who were on larger, nicer sites. Being close to the water was nice, though. The susquehannock area in general is not bad at all. Our site, however, was terrible.

I did a short ride on friday evening, and then as a group, we did a slower relaxed pace ride on most of the trails up to the overlook, skipping only rays revenge, ridge, and grippis. We were on eagle, switch, sleek dog, osprey, allie, doe, loco-motive, berry patch, and the hydro loop.

I'm going to start marking my copy of the map with directional arrows of the best way to run each trail, before I forget once again. If interested in a copy, let me know.

--g
knobbysideup

Postby diggingtrail » Tue May 25, 2010 4:19 pm

I had a great time and I want to thank all of those that attended. It was nice to meet other members of the club that I haven't before and to ride w/ them. I got some really good video, especially on Saturday, that I will edit down. Also have some pictures, a few which aren't going to make it to the website (same person skip referred too).

Personally I think we should do a trip again in the fall if we can get the group camp. As long as it doesn't rain!
diggingtrail

Postby danwalko » Mon May 31, 2010 6:10 pm

Thanks to everyone who attended Dirtfest with us.. I had a great time! Check out some more photos here:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=182846&id=114690851085&l=93d307726b
danwalko

Postby diggingtrail » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:18 pm

Will M, ie stickboybike, posted a great write-up of the Raystown weekend here on his blog: http://bianchilifemidatlantic.blogspot.com/

I think it was me holding him up on the post, b/c he kept bugging me about the vid. :lol: He really captured the essence of the weekend, and it's a good read.
diggingtrail

Previous

Return to News and Announcements