Dirtfest 2010

Dirtfest 2010

Postby Jim Gable » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:24 pm

Registration for Dirtfest at Raystown is now available on line and is $30.00 this year. Dirfest is being held May 21-23. This year it is at the Susquehanock camp ground instead of the Meadows camp ground like last year. Last year, if you remember, it was it was the grand opening of the Raystown trail system which quite a few of us attended. I stayed at this camp gound in July when I made my second trip tp go mountain biking on those great trails. The camp ground is primitve and do not have showers so you will need shower bags or you can drive to one of the other camp grounds and use them. They do have inground toilets but were a little smelly in July. The camp ground is owned by the corpes of engineers. Acoording to the web site, it is tenting only at this site, but if you have a trailer, you can stay at one of the other camp grounds owned by corps of engineers. Hopfully we can have a large representation by YAMBA again this year. Following is the link to the Dirtfest website: http://dirtfest.blogspot.com/

Jim Gable
Jim Gable

Re: Dirtfest 2010

Postby diggingtrail » Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:13 am

Thanks for posting this Jim. I'll put it on the calendar. I plan on going.
diggingtrail

Postby wrench347 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:37 pm

planning on attending, last year's grand opening was a blast
I'm a county parks trail user and I vote!
wrench347

Postby danwalko » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:05 pm

Hey everyone...

Some YAMBA members will definitely be attending DirtFest this year again. However, some of us are really not into the primitive lifestyle available at the Susquehannock Campground where the event is being held. We are working on securing the Group Camp at Big Meadow Camp at Seven Points Marina. This is close to the activity but offers the modern day luxuries of running water and hot showers! In addition, the camp includes the use of a very large pavillion with a large fireplace/cook area inside. This will be a perfect location should it rain at all during the weekend. The Group Camp has 8 sites plus some open areas. The max number of tents that are allowed at the group site is 30. At this time...5 of those 30 spots are spoken for.

Here is a link to the Big Meadow Group Camp area: • http://raystown.nab.usace.army.mil/Camp ... amping.htm

If you choose to camp at Group Camp with us.....the fee to attend the festivities of DirtFest is an additional $15/person for the weekend. If you camp at the primitive Susquehannock Camp - the cost for camp and festivities is $30.

If anyone is interested in camping with us in the Big Meadows area, please let us know asap. The sites will be first come, first serve until we fill the remainder. At this point, we are waiting for the actual paper contract to confirm we have the group site booked. The cost for the group site is $100/night which will be divided among the total number of tents which set up with us.

At this point...the group camp area is tentative. We are waiting the official contract to confirm. Once we have the Group Camp booked, we will let you know if and when we have filled the available slots.

Just post here or email me at danwalko@yahoo.com to let me know who wants a site.
danwalko

Postby knobbysideup » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:42 pm

I'll be there. Was already on my own personal calendar and the YAMBA calendar. Thanks for the official link.
:(){ :|:& };:
knobbysideup

Postby danwalko » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:39 am

YAMBA is confirmed for the group camp at Seven Points for the Dirtfet weekend. Anyone wanting a site, please let me know.

Greg, are you staying with us? If so how many spots do you want?

Dan
danwalko

Postby knobbysideup » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:57 am

danwalko wrote:YAMBA is confirmed for the group camp at Seven Points for the Dirtfet weekend. Anyone wanting a site, please let me know.

Greg, are you staying with us? If so how many spots do you want?

Dan

Hey dan,

I PM'd you today as well. Definitely a spot for myself and perhaps a guest, and another for dad and susan. I just spent the weekend up in the Wilds of Snow Shoe / Karthaus / Moshannon playing in my boat. And wouldn't you know it, I made some crazy friends who will also be coming to dirtfest and would love to camp with us. So, if we can get another site or two, that would be great. How many tents/people are we allowed per site?
knobbysideup

Postby mtmajor » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:04 pm

Dan,
My wife and I are planning on Camping at the group site with the yams that weekend.
We will possibly be bringing our daughter along also. We will just have one tent.
My brother and his girlfriend might want to come also but I dont know for sure yet.
Thanks, Mike Major
mtmajor

Postby danwalko » Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:58 pm

Hey Mike...

Glad you guys can make it.. I have you down for one spot. Let me know if your brother wants to join us. Right now, we have 8 definite's and about 5 maybe's.

Thanks, Dan
danwalko

Postby wrench347 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:15 pm

Dan,
Put me down for 2 spots, my son & I will be attending and a riding buddy of mine would like to come as well.
Tony
I'm a county parks trail user and I vote!
wrench347

Postby danwalko » Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:27 pm

Tony, I have you down for two spots.
danwalko

Postby diggingtrail » Fri May 07, 2010 8:20 pm

-------------------------------------------------

Howdy folks,

With DirtFest 2 weeks away, we’re flooding the inbox with a few updates, reminders, and helpful hints about the weekend. If you are receiving this message you have already registered, and may or may not have a complete idea of what’s going on. That’s fine, neither do we. As you compose packing lists and travel plans, use this e-mail as a jumping off point.

Camping: Unload Friday-park the car-grab the flats-leave Sunday
Visit www.dirtragdirtfest.com for specific questions regarding camping protocol, group locations, and alternative options.

Spread the word: Registration closes May 17th. With a limit on the maximum number of attendees, please encourage friends and club members to pre-register. Don’t forget club literature to share at the PA summit.

The beer thing: Bring ID if you look under 40. Bracelets will be issued when you show up, and at the tasting. That being said, the Pennsylvania Brewers beer tasting is shaping up to be a well-represented gig. If you have a favorite local brew, bring some to share.

Music: Friday and Saturday nights are featuring live stage acts guaranteed to please.
Friday: Shift Seven "Acid Fried Funk-a-billy Blues Rock" (think the Black Crows meets Led Zeppelin meets ZZTop.)
Saturday: The Earthtones 20 year veteran of the State College music scene, RT and the Earthtones headline the festival with the positive vibrations and deep grooves they tend to lay down. For your listening pleasure check out their myspace page to listen to some tunes..

Gals: We have a seminar starting at 2:00 Saturday afternoon. There will be riding clinics & demonstrations, bikes featuring Trek’s women’s line, and a group ride led by DirtRag editor Karen Brooks.

Demo Zone: Our collection of vendors with bikes for you to ride is growing by the day. Stay updated on the DirtFest website to see who’s going to be there.

RaffleBike: Mr. Hubcap is hard at work building our dream machine. Ten dollar tickets. Buy them online. Bring cash. Tuned to the trails with rigid speed, steel dynamics, and belt drive stealth. Check out his creations at www.hubcapcycles.com .

Keep the e-mails coming with questions and ideas, stay tuned to the website. Stay easy.

-The DirtFest Crew
diggingtrail

Postby danwalko » Sun May 09, 2010 7:13 pm

More details about the plans for YAMBA at DirtFest...

Some members of YAMBA will be camping at the Seven Points Marina Campground -- Big Meadows area. We have reserved the "group camp" which gives us room for up to 30 tents and also the use of a large pavilion for the weekend. Right now, 14 of those spots are filled so we have room if anyone else is interested.

The address for the campground is Seven Points Marina, Seven Points Road, Hesston, PA. Go to the ranger station at the entrance and let them know you are with YAMBA at the Group Camp in Big Meadows area. The campground phone# is 814-658-3405.
http://raystown.nab.usace.army.mil/Camping/seven_points_camp.htm

As noted previously...the official area for the Dirtfest activities is in the Susquehannock Campground which is a short drive or bike ride away. If you plan to attend any of the Dirtfest activities...you must register and pay $15/person. Please visit http://www.bikereg.com/ to register.

The cost of the group camp is $100/night so total cost for the weekend is $200 divided by how every many spots we fill. Right now with 14 spots filled...the cost for camping for the weekend will be approx $15/tent.

I have the following listed for the group camp area:
Skip Durgin
Kevin Westover
Charles and Angie Smith
Susan Moury
Mike & Terri Major
Mike Major's brother
Will Mahler
Tony Marano
Tony Marano's friend
Victor & Sherry Bosley
Dusty Gordon
Joe Gordon
Another group coming with the Gordons

If I am missing anyone, please let me know.

The area is quite large with many trails. It is best to have a trail map with you at all times. Print one here http://raystown.nab.usace.army.mil/Activities/images/AGT_TrailMap.pdf

Many of us will be leaving from York between 8am and 9am on Friday May 21. Due to the large size of the group, we will meet at the campground. The official check in time is not until 4pm but we are hoping to arrive early and be able to set up and then ride in the afternoon on Friday (as long as the group camp was not occupied on Thursday night).

If anyone has any questions, please let me know.

Thanks, Dan
danwalko@yahoo.com
danwalko

Postby Sandie » Thu May 13, 2010 12:13 pm

Aloha Dan!
Can you please add Blake and I to your list for the group camp at Dirtfest for 1 tent spot? We'll be up Friday night and plan to leave on Sunday. Just for clarification we pre-register for the DirtFest at the $30 per person rate and that covers the camping & festivities too correct?
Let me know
Thanks
Sandie
Sandie Reynolds
~Mason Dixon Velo/The Cycle Works
Sandie

Postby Sandie » Thu May 13, 2010 12:28 pm

I just reviewed the info on DirtFest. We register $15 per person on BikeReg for DirtFest and pay YAMBA/Dan for the camping, correct?
Is any one even attending the DirtFest activities? I don't want to register for the DirtFest thing if #1 we're not even staying at the same place as the festival and #2 no one is planning on going over there. Does any one know how far away the Susquehanock Camp is from Big Meadow?
Sandie Reynolds
Sandie

Postby knobbysideup » Thu May 13, 2010 2:04 pm

sandie,

dad, susan, bonnie beth, joel and I will be camping at susquehannock. Def want to still ride with YAMBA though. We just wanted to be where the action is. The meadows is a couple of miles away.

we will be there early. Let me know if you want us to save you some space.
knobbysideup

Postby Sandie » Thu May 13, 2010 3:16 pm

I don't know what to do now. I want to camp with YAMBA but I want to be there for DirtFest too. I guess I have until Monday to decide.
Tks for the info Greg
Sandie Reynolds
Sandie

Postby danwalko » Thu May 13, 2010 5:18 pm

Hey Sandie...

Here is the story.. Skip, Kevin and I are definitely planning on checking out the Dirtfest stuff at some point so we are going to pay the $15 fee on bikereg to attend the Dirtfest activities. I have already registered. If nothing else, I want to see what is going on over there to know if I would attend in the future. I have heard from some friends that the Susquehannock area is very primitive with only 1 place to even get running water. Not sure if that is true or not but given that situation...there were a bunch of us that really did not want to camp in such a primative area - especially if there are hundreds of other attendees there.

It is about a 5 min drive to the Dirtfest area but there is only a 30 car parking lot there. If there is a large number of attendees...not sure that driving is going to work if we can't park there. We will likely ride over to the campground to check it out. It is about a 15 min bike ride over to the entrance to the campground. We will then likely ride the road into the camping area. Not sure how far it is from the entrance to the area where events will be held.

If you go to Google and search Hesston, PA -- it will show you a user created map of the Dirtfest camping and other activities and where they are in relation to the Seven Points Campground where we are staying.
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=hesston,+pa&ie=UTF8&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=114479245280746324820.00047e2ce5ac4d6ba5ac0&sll=40.420326,-78.109482&sspn=0.135983,0.256119&ll=40.404542,-78.060694&spn=0.028889,0.055017&z=14

Anyway....we really aren't sure exactly how this is going to work. We may spend very little time at Dirtfest or we may spend alot of time there. It will likely depend on the crowd, what is happening over there, and how much of a pain it is to get back and forth. No matter what...we are looking forward to a weekend of hanging out and riding!

Let me know if you want a spot with us... At this point...the cost per tent will be $10 or less for the entire weekend with us. And if you want to attend Dirtfest...you just pay the $15 if you are not camping over there.

Talk to you later.
Dan
danwalko

Postby diggingtrail » Thu May 13, 2010 5:25 pm

I just logged in to reply but Dan beat me. He covered it pretty well. I think the $15 will be worth it just for the beer sampling. Also DirtRag is doing a bourbon sampling if you are in to that. The other stuff may or may not be worth it hard to tell now. Unless it rains I plan to bike over. It's just a short ride like Dan said. The hot showers and covered pavilion in the group camp area will be worth the short trip to me. From my understanding the events and what not will be setup at the top of the hill or near it. All those interested in either the camping and event pass, or just the event pass make sure you register by Monday. edit: just checked out Dan's link and the events will be halfway down the hill. Still not bad.

Dan how many people are we up to now in the group camp area?
Last edited by diggingtrail on Thu May 13, 2010 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: duh! follow the previous posters links first
diggingtrail

Postby danwalko » Thu May 13, 2010 8:08 pm

Including Sandie and Blake and some additions from the Monday Night Ride.. We are up to 20 out of a max of 30.
danwalko

Next

Return to News and Announcements