Wind and Storm Damage

Wind and Storm Damage

Postby diggingtrail » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:23 pm

If anybody gets out on the trails in the next few days can you please post any downed trees or other trail damage that may have occured today. Place the post in the appropriate location section, ie Rocky Ridge etc, and give an approximate location of where/what the damage is.

Thanks
diggingtrail

Re: Wind and Storm Damage UPDATE!

Postby diggingtrail » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:48 pm

I called the Parks hotline a few minutes ago. From the sounds of it The Lakes and Rocky Ridge got hit hard. All parks are closed to horseback riding and MTBing. The Lakes are listed as hike at your own risk due to numerous trees down. Rocky Ridge is totally closed!

We will try to get more information from the Parks as to what we can do to help open trails back up. In the mean time can we work on getting a couple of chainsaw crews together for RR this saturday? A crew will be one chainsaw and at least one helper per saw preferably two. I will start a post in the RR subforum where we can discuss this further.

thanks
kevin
diggingtrail

Re: Wind and Storm Damage

Postby diggingtrail » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:57 am

Spoke w/ Mike from the Parks dept. Rocky Ridge is closed due to downed wires. A large white oak came down on one of the pavilions as well. They are unsure of how many trees are down and on what trails at both Kain and RR but there are trees down. The Parks will be out assessing trails later today and tomorrow and Mike will get back to me later. I told him we were recruiting volunteers for RR but could change it to Kain if necessary. More info will be posted as I receive it.
diggingtrail

Postby diggingtrail » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:44 pm

Rocky Ridge is now open. I will be scouting RR tomorrow. If anybody else is thinking about using the trails please be mindful of wet spots and that there are most likely downed trees and limbs.
diggingtrail

Postby diggingtrail » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:08 pm

The trails at RR are clear of all trees. The Parks staff finished up this afternoon. There is still a lot of small debris on the trails that is ready to eat derailleurs and spokes though, so be careful. I haven't gotten any word on The Lakes and don't really expect to until the trails there are open. As soon as I do I will post it.
diggingtrail

Re: Wind and Storm Damage UPDATE!

Postby diggingtrail » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:43 am

spudracing wrote:I will be at RR for a ride at 10:00 am. I am riding for 2 hrs and then will head down to the goat trail at Redman around 1:00 to clear some trees. Anyone is welcome to join me. I will be parked off of Log road in a blue silverado. Probably have 2 or so helpers.
Later
Paul

If anybody is available to lend Paul a hand w/ this today it would be greatly appreciated. For more information on where the tree's are see this THREAD in Trailwork.
diggingtrail

Return to News and Announcements