New Law

Want to discuss other sports do it hear. Road Riding, snow sports, etc. all are welcome.

New Law

Postby Jim Gable » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:43 pm

I just read in the paper yesterday that a new law will take affect in April. The law states that a car must slow down and give a bike rider 4 foot while passing on a hiway. You are allowed to pass over the yellow line while passing a bike but must wait to pass if another car is coming in the opposite direction. The fine is $25.00 if caught by a police officer.

I wonder if the cops will will enforce the law or turn the other way. It's about time this state passes a law like some of the other states already have. I don't know about you but I have gotten buzzed more than once and am glad this law has been passed.

Jim Gable
Jim Gable

Re: New Law

Postby finsout » Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:57 am

they will not. for one it is almost completely unenforceable. If I ever get busted for this, the first question I will ask the cop is 'how did you know I was within four feet of that biker'? I will get off because there is no way other then a judgement call to determine the distance and that will not hold up in court.
I'm a county parks trail user and I vote!
finsout

Postby Jim Gable » Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:36 pm

The paper did state that very question and with cameras in police cars now days, they should be able to enforce it.
Jim Gable

Postby finsout » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:26 pm

even with a camera i still think it can be fought. there may be some that will enforce it but i doubt most will since most cops have the same dislike for road bikers that most drivers do.
I'm a county parks trail user and I vote!
finsout

Return to Other Sports