Floating Boxes Poll

Constructive criticism welcomed here. Have a question or a problem, put it here as well.

Keep the floating black boxes above the navigation bar on the homepage?

Yes
25%
No
75%

Total votes : 4

Floating Boxes Poll

Postby diggingtrail » Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:26 am

Should we keep the floating boxes that are above the navigation bar on the homepage and other pages? Answer this poll and let me know.
diggingtrail

Re: Floating Boxes Poll

Postby rmichels » Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:55 pm

I don't have a big issue when them, but the info in them does not give much more than the menu item. The menu items are self-explanatory.
rmichels

Postby Glancing Aft » Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:08 pm

they don't bother me much at all. But it might make the site look cleaner without them.
Glancing Aft

Postby ls1der » Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:43 pm

NO
Scott Ramsay
ls1der

Postby knobbysideup » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:10 pm

Kill 'em. They add no value. If you need some description, the title attribute should suffice, but even that can be cluttered, and I personally usually prefer to not have that either.

I know you guys like the sliding trail status thingydoo too, but that should just be a simple list too. Flashy and shiney is great and all, but not when usability suffers. It was also last updated Feb 14.

Perhaps we could coordinate with the York County Parks, and give them a simple way to update that status as a service to them? Something open that they could send to other groups as well, and you just take that format and dump it to the web page, or if they are open to it, a screen where they can just update the information on our site. The former would likely be more desireable, if at all, from their standpoint (one file to change, let all user groups do with it what they will). Seems it would beat answering the phone over 9000 times a day when people call to see if trails are open.

As always, just MHO.
:(){ :|:& };:
knobbysideup

Postby diggingtrail » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:40 pm

knobbysideup wrote:Kill 'em. They add no value. If you need some description, the title attribute should suffice, but even that can be cluttered, and I personally usually prefer to not have that either.

I know you guys like the sliding trail status thingydoo too, but that should just be a simple list too. Flashy and shiney is great and all, but not when usability suffers. It was also last updated Feb 14.

Perhaps we could coordinate with the York County Parks, and give them a simple way to update that status as a service to them? Something open that they could send to other groups as well, and you just take that format and dump it to the web page, or if they are open to it, a screen where they can just update the information on our site. The former would likely be more desireable, if at all, from their standpoint (one file to change, let all user groups do with it what they will). Seems it would beat answering the phone over 9000 times a day when people call to see if trails are open.

As always, just MHO.

I did kill the floating boxes on the home page. There may be a few lingering pages that have them. I think about then forget as I move on. Thanks for the reminder.

I did change the trail status boxes to a click. I like the slide b/c it saves space and keeps the area clean. Maybe others can chime in. I can start another thread for that.

As far as the updates, when I checked a few days ago the status had not changed so I didn't edit the page. I imagine The Lakes and SV are closed now and will check tonight and update if needed. We've checked w/ the parks before and they want to stick with the phone. They have nobody on staff w/ the time or knowledge or desire to edit a webpage. They like the simplicity of letting a mssg on their phone.
diggingtrail

Postby knobbysideup » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:09 pm

diggingtrail wrote:
knobbysideup wrote:Kill 'em. They add no value. If you need some description, the title attribute should suffice, but even that can be cluttered, and I personally usually prefer to not have that either.

As always, just MHO.

I did kill the floating boxes on the home page. There may be a few lingering pages that have them. I think about then forget as I move on. Thanks for the reminder.

I did change the trail status boxes to a click. I like the slide b/c it saves space and keeps the area clean. Maybe others can chime in. I can start another thread for that.

As far as the updates, when I checked a few days ago the status had not changed so I didn't edit the page. I imagine The Lakes and SV are closed now and will check tonight and update if needed. We've checked w/ the parks before and they want to stick with the phone. They have nobody on staff w/ the time or knowledge or desire to edit a webpage. They like the simplicity of letting a mssg on their phone.

Cool. Thanks for all of the effort!
:(){ :|:& };:
knobbysideup

Return to Feedback