Some Forum Suggestions

Constructive criticism welcomed here. Have a question or a problem, put it here as well.

Some Forum Suggestions

Postby Glancing Aft » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:42 pm

Kevin, and all,
I happen to love the new forum setup a lot better than the old YAMBA email list. I do wish there was more discussion on it, but hopefully that will change as we get in to biking season! For me the RSS feeds work great and the website loads great on my iPhone. Anyways, I have a minor suggestions/tweaks to make to the forum that may make navigation (at least for me) a bit better.

- View Recent Posts. Some other forums I'm on have this ability. The View new posts works great but after navigating around on the site, and then clicking on view new posts again, it no longer has any new posts. Some other sites then have a link to "view recent posts" or "view all posts in the last 24 hrs".

- On the main forum page. Under Last Post, for each subforum it displays the poster's name and the time of post. Would it be possible to also see the name of the thread as well?

That's about all I can think of right now. I thought I had more but I can't remember them now. If I do I will post up. Thanks again for all your hard work!
Glancing Aft

Re: Some Forum Suggestions

Postby knobbysideup » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:54 pm

Glancing Aft wrote:Kevin, and all,
I happen to love the new forum setup a lot better than the old YAMBA email list. I do wish there was more discussion on it, but hopefully that will change as we get in to biking season! For me the RSS feeds work great and the website loads great on my iPhone. Anyways, I have a minor suggestions/tweaks to make to the forum that may make navigation (at least for me) a bit better.

Why do you think it's mostly just kevin and yourself creating posts on here? You're likely not going to get much more participation, IMHO. It's just too much effort to go through to respond to a post once you receive a notification via mail, or when reading via an RSS feed. There's no threading or context and the mail messages themselves usually have more header text than actual content. Without being able to directly respond, you aren't going to get responses. It's that simple.

Also, the fact that most of the site is closed to the community (specifically the event calendar), makes the site pretty much dead. If people could post events, then you might, for example, already have the MASS race schedule, the Michaux race schedule, and a couple of 24 hour events up. I know we are not a race team, but a lot of people are interested in a single place to see MTB stuff in the region, and shouldn't that be what YAMBA tries to provide?

Forums have their place, but they are not the be-all end-all to dynamic content. Mailing lists definitely provide a much more open quick announcement and discussion forum. Calendars are great too, but right now, nobody can post to them but a select few, and you obviously don't have the time to do all of that work.

- View Recent Posts. Some other forums I'm on have this ability. The View new posts works great but after navigating around on the site, and then clicking on view new posts again, it no longer has any new posts. Some other sites then have a link to "view recent posts" or "view all posts in the last 24 hrs".

- On the main forum page. Under Last Post, for each subforum it displays the poster's name and the time of post. Would it be possible to also see the name of the thread as well?

That's about all I can think of right now. I thought I had more but I can't remember them now. If I do I will post up. Thanks again for all your hard work!

Above are things that can be handled by individuals own clients if this were a mailing list. Even simpler to put those types of filters on the several listserv-to-web-archive tools all over the Internet.

Glad you guys enjoy your forums.
:(){ :|:& };:
knobbysideup

Postby diggingtrail » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:32 pm

Glancing Aft wrote:- View Recent Posts. Some other forums I'm on have this ability. The View new posts works great but after navigating around on the site, and then clicking on view new posts again, it no longer has any new posts. Some other sites then have a link to "view recent posts" or "view all posts in the last 24 hrs".

Right beside view new posts should be View active topics. This is page has all topics that have been posted to in the last week. It is what I normally set as my default view on most sites. The new post page is 24hrs. Not sure why it would clear though.

Glancing Aft wrote:- On the main forum page. Under Last Post, for each subforum it displays the poster's name and the time of post. Would it be possible to also see the name of the thread as well?

I'll see what I can do with this. I can't make any promises as it will most likely require some deep level code changes.
diggingtrail

Postby diggingtrail » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:48 pm

knobbysideup wrote:...

So all members know, I do respond to feedback. In this case a PM was sent to the above poster. In some cases it is better to do this than post all replies in public.
diggingtrail

Postby ls1der » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:36 pm

AH COME ON KEVIN .... SPILL IT !
Scott Ramsay
ls1der

Postby danwalko » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:55 pm

The MASS race schedule has been added to the YAMBA Calendar. Thanks for the suggestion.
danwalko

Postby Glancing Aft » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:04 pm

For anyone looking for additional races in the mid atlantic region, I have setup this calendar preveously that contains just about everything out there. I'm trying to keep it up to date as well...

http://www.google.com/calendar/embed?src=c1j4mo5gmrtslohgphai1ehvqc%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=America/New_York&pvttk=f6f98bfe535d8ab7db270ad51f24c90e
Glancing Aft

Postby knobbysideup » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:01 pm

danwalko wrote:The MASS race schedule has been added to the YAMBA Calendar. Thanks for the suggestion.

Thanks!

The YAMBA calendar, however, seems to also have somebody's personal entries in it as well, and I thought we were going to stop using it in favor of the Trailwork and Ride Schedule calendars? Seems the race schedule may better be housed in the ride schedule calendar?

Is there a subscription link for the YAMBA calendar? I think I used to use it, but removed it when you moved to the Trailwork and Group Ride schedules in its place.

Thanks Again.

-- Greg
:(){ :|:& };:
knobbysideup

Postby diggingtrail » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:48 pm

knobbysideup wrote:
danwalko wrote:The MASS race schedule has been added to the YAMBA Calendar. Thanks for the suggestion.

Thanks!

The YAMBA calendar, however, seems to also have somebody's personal entries in it as well, and I thought we were going to stop using it in favor of the Trailwork and Ride Schedule calendars? Seems the race schedule may better be housed in the ride schedule calendar?

Is there a subscription link for the YAMBA calendar? I think I used to use it, but removed it when you moved to the Trailwork and Group Ride schedules in its place.

Thanks Again.

-- Greg

I'm guessing the personal stuff on the Yamba cal were test posts. I know I forgot to delete a few of mine although they are all past now. The Yamba cal will have events such as meetings etc on it. The links for all the cals were updated about a month ago and can be found in the stickies in News and Announcements. I will be adding Will's calender as a seperate race cal that will show on the main cal as well, and will add the links tonight.
diggingtrail

Postby diggingtrail » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:51 pm

Will's race calendar is added. Still some calendar editing to be done though. Links for feeds are in News and Announcements in the stickies.
diggingtrail

Return to Feedback