Sponsorship Discussion from News/Announcements

Constructive criticism welcomed here. Have a question or a problem, put it here as well.

Sponsorship Discussion from News/Announcements

Postby knobbysideup » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:16 pm

themobilewrench wrote:Winter Special for YAMBA members only!! Clean and tune for only $30!! That's $15 off the regular price, and your bike will ride so well, you won't even notice how freaking cold it is on the trails. This Special price is for YAMBA members only who can 'prove' membership, and only for the months of January and February 2010. Soon, I will be able to accept credit card payment at your home or at the trailhead, but for now it's cash or check. Thanks and hope to hear from some of you soon!

I can has general discussion board spamvertisement too?
:(){ :|:& };:
knobbysideup

Re: Please welcome our first sponsor: The Mobile Wrench

Postby diggingtrail » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:25 pm

knobbysideup wrote:
themobilewrench wrote:Winter Special for YAMBA members only!! Clean and tune for only $30!! That's $15 off the regular price, and your bike will ride so well, you won't even notice how freaking cold it is on the trails. This Special price is for YAMBA members only who can 'prove' membership, and only for the months of January and February 2010. Soon, I will be able to accept credit card payment at your home or at the trailhead, but for now it's cash or check. Thanks and hope to hear from some of you soon!

I'm not sure what you are trying to get at. themobilewrench is a paid advertiser/sponsor for the website. After he paid for the ad on the site I invited him to post in this thread that I started to welcome him. Soon there will be a new subforum in the classifieds section for our sponsors to post specials that they may have for YAMBA members.
diggingtrail

Postby knobbysideup » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:56 pm

diggingtrail wrote:
knobbysideup wrote:

I'm not sure what you are trying to get at. themobilewrench is a paid advertiser/sponsor for the website. After he paid for the ad on the site I invited him to post in this thread that I started to welcome him. Soon there will be a new subforum in the classifieds section for our sponsors to post specials that they may have for YAMBA members.

That's cool. But as a sub forum of the news and announcements section, this comes via email to anybody who is subscribed to news and announcements. IOW, it's unsolicited advertising to the membership of these boards. IMHO, commercial interests have no place there.

More importantly, however, is what's to stop people who DON'T pay for an ad on the main YAMBA page from posting their services to the board? This kind of dilutes the value of what themobilewrench is paying for. I certainly wouldn't waste my money if I could just spam the message boards instead. Do you really want to get in the business of trying to moderate what constitutes as advertising for a business and what doesn't?

If you create a dedicated forum for advertisements that we can easily keep out of our subscriptions, that is a decent solution, I guess, but then why would anybody pay for the sponsorship slot on YAMBA's main page?

Respectfully,

-- Greg
:(){ :|:& };:
knobbysideup

Postby diggingtrail » Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:20 pm

Greg and others, I'm going to move this discussion to feedback and delete these posts from this thread to bring it back on topic. This discussion can continue in feedback, I don't want anybody to think I am burying it.

One last quick thing for those getting mail from this thread, please thank The Mobil Mechanic for being our first web sponsor. This site does cost money and they stepped up to the plate. There is interest out there from other parties as well.
diggingtrail

Postby diggingtrail » Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:47 pm

knobbysideup wrote:
That's cool. But as a sub forum of the news and announcements section, this comes via email to anybody who is subscribed to news and announcements. IOW, it's unsolicited advertising to the membership of these boards. IMHO, commercial interests have no place there.

More importantly, however, is what's to stop people who DON'T pay for an ad on the main YAMBA page from posting their services to the board? This kind of dilutes the value of what themobilewrench is paying for. I certainly wouldn't waste my money if I could just spam the message boards instead. Do you really want to get in the business of trying to moderate what constitutes as advertising for a business and what doesn't?

If you create a dedicated forum for advertisements that we can easily keep out of our subscriptions, that is a decent solution, I guess, but then why would anybody pay for the sponsorship slot on YAMBA's main page?

Respectfully,

-- Greg

Greg you do make some good points that I hadn't thought about ahead of time. I'll address them but first can I just ask that a new topic is started in feedback or that a PM is sent to me or one of the other Mods when things like this happen.

You are right about the expansion of the topic from an announcement into advertising in News/Announcements as being out of place. You made a good point. I had thought about starting the sponsor subforum, but too late. From now on, I or one of the other Mods, will post the announcement in News as that is fair to the sponsor. That thread will be locked immediately though. A seperate thread will be made in the sponsor section of the forums for that sponsor. There, he/she/they will be able to post announcements etc related to their business. I will write rules, or 'borrow' them from another site ;) , detailing to businesses how this will work. Mods will watch the board for blatant violations of these rules and will issue warnings as needed. We won't let businesses spam the board. I'm sorry you felt that is what happened as it was nobodies intent.

We want to encourage businesses to become active w/ YAMBA. The more the better for everybody. However, we shouldn't be, and haven't been so far, used as free advertising. If local businesses sponsor YAMBA everybody wins. Businesses get their names out to people who may never have heard of them and the ability to reach out to the local MTB community at large, YAMBA as a club receives money, tools etc, and YAMBA members can receive specials not available to the general public.

I'm sure that we haven't thought of everything, as evidenced with this case. There will be growing pains as the forum and YAMBA grows and moves forward with the new site. There will be changes made over time, hopefully for the better. I hope though that we can receive positive feedback and not just negative, even when we mess up.
kevin
diggingtrail

Return to Feedback