Wednesday Winter Night Rides

Posts for information about group, social, or night rides including YAMBA club rides and also non-YAMBA related rides if you feel other members would be interested

Re: Wednesday Winter Night Rides

Postby Glancing Aft » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:27 pm

How was it? I didn't get out of the office till after 8:30, so I had to suffer on the trainer tonight :(
Glancing Aft

Postby Trombo » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:46 pm

Mitch, Landis, and I did about 10 mi(probably 15 if you measure rear wheel) in about 2.5 hrs.
Conditions were awesome. Wouldnt want to ride in snow much deeper, but this was perfect plenty of front wheel washout and rear wheel spin. Landis did it SS. I couldn't have done it without my 22 ring. We did Williams cw, 1ccw and all the other connectors to make it happen. Trails seemed like they were in good shape. Hard to tell with all the snow and frozen base.
Also some rent a cop ambushed us on the Susie Q trail by the dam yelling about the trails being closed.
It was awesome. You guys missed a good one.
See you next week
Rob
Trombo

Postby Glancing Aft » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:13 pm

Trombo wrote:Mitch, Landis, and I did about 10 mi(probably 15 if you measure rear wheel) in about 2.5 hrs.
Conditions were awesome. Wouldnt want to ride in snow much deeper, but this was perfect plenty of front wheel washout and rear wheel spin. Landis did it SS. I couldn't have done it without my 22 ring. We did Williams cw, 1ccw and all the other connectors to make it happen. Trails seemed like they were in good shape. Hard to tell with all the snow and frozen base.
Also some rent a cop ambushed us on the Susie Q trail by the dam yelling about the trails being closed.
It was awesome. You guys missed a good one.
See you next week
Rob

Sounds like a great time, it's a shame I missed it. Thankfully I won't tomorrow, cause as of right now the lakes are open! See you guys tomorrow at 6pm!
Glancing Aft

Postby Glancing Aft » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:00 pm

So last week's ride was a lessons learned. Just because the parks are open doesn't mean you should ride. The conditions were awful and shortly after starting we bailed on the trails and finished up the ride with a short road ride.

I see the Lakes are still open, has anyone attempted to ride down there in the past few days? Now that the ground has refrozen have things improved? I'm also worried what this next storm will bring, especially if there is rain mixed in...
Glancing Aft

Postby Jody » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:05 pm

Will,
I was wondering how your last week wednesday night ride went, I figured it wasn`t good, once you
get past that first couple days after the snow, it keeps getting harder to ride (for me anyway), it`s
always fun riding in that stuff (snow) right after it first falls. I`ve been doing back road and dirt road
rides from home lately, even than you got to lookout for those ice patches.
If we get another storm this week, I think the trails will be unrideable for quit sometime.
I remember, I think 2 years ago, we got a big snow storm, it got a hard crust on top that wasn`t slippery
and up at Rocky Ridge, the place was like one big rollercoaster, it was a blast, I wouldn`t mind seeing
that again.

Jody.
Jody

Postby crsmithpe » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:23 pm

Glancing Aft wrote:I see the Lakes are still open, has anyone attempted to ride down there in the past few days? Now that the ground has refrozen have things improved? I'm also worried what this next storm will bring, especially if there is rain mixed in...

I rode the Williams loop on Sunday. It was crusty and difficult on the lightly traveled sections, but fun on the packed sections. Conditions weren't muddy at all.
Charles Smith
crsmithpe

Postby Glancing Aft » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:10 pm

Hey guys,
Thanks for the feedback. I think with the questionable conditions and the new storm hitting hard tomorrow I am going to call off the ride for this week.
Sorry, and enjoy the snow!
Glancing Aft

Postby Glancing Aft » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:55 pm

Hey All,
I'm going to be out of town next week. It looks like there's going to be more snow rolling in tuesday/wednesday next week as well, so at this point I'm going to call off the ride for February 2nd.
Hopefully see you all the week after on February 9th!!!
Glancing Aft

Postby Glancing Aft » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:30 pm

I'm going to say let's give things another week to dry out. The 10 day forecast is calling for relatively warm conditions with no precipitation. So no night ride this week, but let's shoot to get back on the DIRT on February 16th!!!
Glancing Aft

Postby Glancing Aft » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:57 am

The Lakes are closed and I assume they will stay this way through the thaw. It'll be nice if the snow all melts and then the ground freezes again, it would make for some fast riding! Well anyways, as of now no night ride again this week. If anything changes I will post up, but I doubt they will reopen.
Glancing Aft

Postby Glancing Aft » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:52 am

This year is starting to feel a lot like last year... :( No night ride again this week. Fingers crossed for next week...
Glancing Aft

Postby Glancing Aft » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:40 am

Sorry for not posting sooner but no night ride tonight, the lakes ate closed...

Next week is the last scheduled ride, so fingers crossed!
Glancing Aft

Postby Glancing Aft » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:50 pm

Sorry for such a late post again, but as expected no night ride tonight. Thanks everyone for a great season with some memorable rides! Now get out there and enjoy some daylight riding!
Glancing Aft

Previous

Return to Group Rides