Rockburn Branch Skills park

Posts to this topic should be limited to discussion of other mountain biking locations outside of the York County Parks network

Rockburn Branch Skills park

Postby mtmajor » Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:50 pm

I thought I would pass this along if anyone is interested.
There will be some nice trails being added to the Patapsco area soon.
Show some support and come out for some fun or make a donation.
More info here http://www.rockburnskillspark.org/Home_Page
Mike

[quote]Mid-Atlantic Off Road Enthusiasts (M.O.R.E), Howard County Recreation and Parks, and International Mountain Biking Association (IMBA) have created a private-public partnership to build a skills area in Rockburn Branch Park--for those of you who have yet to visit Rockburn, it is located adjacent to Rockburn Elementary School and has an entrance on Montgomery Rd and also on Landing Rd across the street from Patapsco Valley State Park. The multi-use trail system is being built with mountain bikers and trail runners in mind. It will consist of multiple trails of varying complexity and will be called The Rockburn Skills Park.

Howard County has dedicated land in Rockburn Branch Park for the project; IMBA is flying in world-class trail builders and designers; and MORE is raising the funding and providing volunteer support. The park will include a pump track and three downhill lines: one for beginners, one for intermediate riders, and one for more advanced riders. This will be a family-first facility where Howard County kids and adults can hone their bicycle riding skills.

NEWS:
IMBA completed new renderings of the park.
Upcoming Events

NOW through Aug 14 - Raffle for over $5,000
Trip to 2 to Moab, Trek/Fisher X-Caliber Bike and Giant Brass Bike.
On August 14th, over $5,00 worth of prizes will be raffled. Tickets are on sale now and going fast.

Aug 14 - Rockburn Park Guided Bike Rides
Leading off at 12 Noon and 1 PM
RSVP Here
Attachments
23865676.jpg
mtmajor

Re: Rockburn Branch Skills park

Postby Mark » Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:20 pm

Is anybody going to this? I was planning on doing the intermediate ride at 1pm. The rides and picnic are at the pavillion 6100 Rockburn Branch Park Dr, Elkridge, MD.
Carpe cerevisiam.
Mark

Postby crsmithpe » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:50 pm

I'll go. Want to carpool?

After looking more into it, I'd prefer to get there in time for the advanced ride since the skills park isn't going to be open. (Didn't realize this was just a fund raiser). We could look at the riders and decide which group to go with when we get there. If the bulk of the advanced riders are team-kitted and body hair deficient we could drop back to the intermediate group. I hate to ride all the way down there only to find that we should have ridden with the advanced group.
Charles Smith
crsmithpe

Postby ken » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:19 pm

I'm probably going, since I've only been to patapsco once. I only have room for 1 bike on my car. If someone has room for additional bikes, I'd be intersted in carpooling.
ken

Postby crsmithpe » Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:03 pm

It looks like there's not much point in going tomorrow.

From the website:

As of now (6 pm Saturday), the picnic is still a go, but it is looking like we will have to cancel the rides. If it is just rain, we will still have the picnic. We have all the food and drinks and events ready to go!! We have the big pavilion and about a dozen pop-up tents. If there is lightning, well... then we have a problem. We will update this notice in the morning around 11 am. Please plan to come out to the picnic and support the project. Please consider donating now through this site and buying t-shirts and magnets through our shopping cart.
Thanks for your support of a great park!!!
Charles Smith
crsmithpe

Postby crsmithpe » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:34 am

The grand opening for this was Saturday. I'll be heading down to check it out at some point.
Charles Smith
crsmithpe

Postby ZSprenkle » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:45 am

Are these trails open to anyone? How much of their advertised trail system is complete? This looks like a blast!
ZSprenkle

Postby crsmithpe » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:53 am

I don't know about the skills park, but this is at Patapsco which has probably 30-50 miles of trail.
Charles Smith
crsmithpe

Postby crsmithpe » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:36 am

Any interest for going on Saturday? See what the skills park has to offer and then ride Patapsco.
Charles Smith
crsmithpe

Postby finsout » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:02 pm

Give me a report Charles. I'm going to Spring. I finally got upper Wallys to Lower Walts dialed and want to work on lower wallys now.
I'm a county parks trail user and I vote!
finsout

Postby ZSprenkle » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:40 am

Man, I would love to go, but I have a scheduled trip up to Tioga / Potter County for the weekend. Know of any good trails up there anyone?
ZSprenkle

Postby bloomy63 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:40 am

I'll join you for a ride on saturday. I just need to be home by around 4.
bloomy63

Postby ken » Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:17 pm

I can go Saturday. When are you planning on getting there and which parking area?
ken

Postby crsmithpe » Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:02 pm

Ken,
It was a toss up between Rockburn and the Dark Hollow course at Michaux. Michaux won out because it is closer. If you want to go, we are meeting at the Emigsville exit park and ride off I-83 at 8am.
Charles Smith
crsmithpe

Postby ken » Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:03 am

I'll meet you at big flat.
ken

Postby prophetdriver07 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:49 pm

Here's the new link....just opened in June and IMBA finished the trails for them....not to mention its free...

http://www.rockburnskillspark.org/Home_Page.php
prophetdriver07

Return to Other Spots