Trail 5

Posts pertainin to the trails at William H. Kain County Park (Lake Redman and Lake Williams) or any general information about the Park

Trail 5

Postby Yeti35 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:46 pm

I did a ride down at the Lakes the other day and came across this trail. It had been many years since I have ridden down there due to I was living in UT for 11 years and just haven't made it down there since moving back. So I take this trail thinking it may be a new fun trail only to find out it was the worst possible place to even build a trail. It is in wetlands and appears to always be wet. I only went on it because I had no idea what it was like. It appears it gets a lot of use based on all the tire tracks I saw while I was on it. I did not do the whole trail for I was hating the mud and decided to turn around to get off of it. I feel this was a really bad place to put a trail and feel imo that it should be shut down for any riding at all. I am not saying this is a YAMBA concern or that it was built by any of it's members. It did have a park trail number sign on it so I assume they made it. I'm just not a fan of mud riding and feel this trail is gonna suffer from usage due to never being dry.
Yeti35

Re: Trail 5

Postby diggingtrail » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:00 pm

What section of 5 did you ride? In the area of Log Rd and Ironstone Hill Rd along the creek? Two years ago when the back to back tropical storms came through York the creek was altered drastically. Before trail 5 would only be wet in the early spring or after extremely heavy rain events. Now the creek seems to overflow its banks with even moderate rains. We have received a lot of rain in the last week and I imagine one of the large storms flooded the creek for a short time or multiple times and that is wear the mud came from. It can be a fun trail when dry, and when originally built didn't have the water issues it does now.
diggingtrail

Re: Trail 5

Postby Yeti35 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:50 pm

Yes, that would be the section and I realized on Thursday that was not the only section of Trail 5. I was not aware it was messed up due to past storms. I do agree in that I think it would be fun trail when dry, but certainly isn't now and seems like it is gonna get torn up since people are riding it while it is wet.
Yeti35

Return to The Lakes