Is the Lakes open today?

Posts pertainin to the trails at William H. Kain County Park (Lake Redman and Lake Williams) or any general information about the Park

Is the Lakes open today?

Postby mclandis12 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:53 pm

Does anyone know if the Lakes are open today. I don't where to look on the new site to find out.

Thanks

Matt
mclandis12

Re: Is the Lakes open today?

Postby Glancing Aft » Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:29 pm

They should be open, but call 840-7440 to verify.

What time are you riding? Although I should really ride road tonight... uggg
Glancing Aft

Postby diggingtrail » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:37 pm

Instead of starting a new topic I'll post this here.

The Lakes are open again. They will remain open until the next thaw. There are reports of trees down so use caution. We will know more this evening after Skip posts his findings.
diggingtrail

Postby RockyMountainSkip » Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:48 pm

The Goat Trail has 6 or so trees that will need to be cut out. All are accessibe by parking along Log and walking in.

Walking in from Log Road and heading towards Lake Road, there is a large tree lying parallel on the trail. Next is a medium size one with poison oak on it across the trail. The final one is a very large uprooted tree at the bridge. Some minimal damage to the actual trail wil need to be repaired. Unfortunately, the crown of the tree landed on the first switchback turn above and is completely blocking it.

Back at Log Road, if you head in towards Iron Stone Hill, there is a small tree across the trail, then a low hanger after the 3 climbing turns. Next, I believe there is then a widow maker hanging over the trail that really should be cut out. Lastly, there is a tree that someone had cut out previously, but left a portion blocking the trail. The remainder needs to cut about 1 - 2 feet to fully clear the trail. I was able clear the majority of small branches and limbs from the Goat so for the most part just the big stuff remains.

Also, right at Log Road there is water running down the trail right as you get back on the trail after crossing Log Road. I have seen this when we have heavy rains in the Spring, but never in the Winter. Two options are ot either fill in with ballist rock then cover with crusher stone or build a ground level bridge on this section. Whatever we decide, we'll need to fix this short section of trail (about 20 yards) sometime in the near future.

Along Goat Trail Jr. (the section of trail that runs between the Ironstone Hill Rd parking lot and Hess Farm Road parking lot), there are two small trees blocking the trail(s).

By this time I was about 3/4's frozen stiff so I headed for home while I could still pedal the bike.

Thanks for everyone's offers to help with RR and the Lakes. It's refreshing to see so many people offering to help out.

See ya on the trails,

Skip
RockyMountainSkip

Postby mtmajor » Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:46 pm

I took the dog for a hike on 2c today. I found that when you enter trail 2c from the entrance closest to george st. after you make the two stream crossings and go up the first large hill there was a big mess of about 4 or 5 large pines that came down on top of each other. The trail was barely passible while walking. The trees were a good 18" or more diameter. The rest of the trail was in very good condition. I walked back along trail 2 fire road along the lake. There were some very large trees that came down right along the trail. Most of them missed the trail and the parks did a good job with the ones that were on the trail. I have not seen that amout of storm damedge at the lakes before. If I get a chance to check any other trails I will post my findings.
Mike Major
mtmajor

Postby diggingtrail » Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:14 pm

Thanks for the replies Skip and Mike. I'm going to copy your posts over a new thread in Trailwork asking for help.

If anybody finds more down trees at The Lakes please post it in the new thread HERE
diggingtrail

Return to The Lakes