Update on the closure of Trail 9A

Posts here are for topics pertaining to trails at Rocky Ridge County Park or any general information about the Park

Update on the closure of Trail 9A

Postby RockyMountainSkip » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:45 pm

Most of you are probably aware of the recent trail closure of “9A” at Rocky Ridge. We wanted to provide everyone with an update after Dan Walko and Skip Durgin met recently with Commissioner Reily, Parks Director Tammy Klunk and Parks Land Manager Mike Fobes.

The problem is twofold which only lends to the complexity of this unfortunate situation. First, there appears to have been a miscommunication between the Parks and YAMBA as to what extent natural features could be incorporated into this trail. YAMBA was under the impression after we initially met with the Parks last year, that we could incorporate natural occurring rock features that fell within the trail corridor for those riders that like to ride over such features. Unfortunately, due to liability concerns from York County itself, these features that can be used as ramps and jumps are not allowed within the York County Parks. Furthermore, the Parks have now officially closed Trail 9A and there are no plans to re-open it.

Second, after our initial Trail work in November of 2012 to cut in this trail, a multitude of additional work has been done to Trail 9A without YAMBA’s knowledge or approval. The majority of this work appears to have been done recently with large amounts of dirt being excavated to build jumps and additional berms were built in locations that were unnecessary. The Parks consider this destruction of Park property which is a citable offense. Though it appears no citations are going to be issued at this time, we want everyone to understand the severity of this situation and that any kind of illegal trail building in the future will not be tolerated and citations will be issued (this also includes if anyone attempts to re-open Trail# 9A).

Moving forward, YAMBA will still be partnering with the York County Parks to help maintain existing trails and educating all trail users on safe and sustainable multi-use trails. At the request of the Parks Department, for the time being we will not be engaging in the construction of any new trails.

Additionally, as a result of this situation Kevin Westover has decided to step down as Trail Advocacy Coordinator. This is very unfortunate that this situation has resulted in this, but Kevin still plans to help out the club with administrating our YAMBA website. We would like to express our sincere Thanks to Kevin for the four years he has volunteered for the club in this capacity and all of the fantastic trails that have come to fruition as a result of his creative trail building talents. Thanks for everything Kevin!

In needing a Trail Advocacy Coordinator, Skip Durgin has elected to take on this open position so YAMBA can continue on with its mission of the preservation of the Trail systems within the York County Parks.

In closing, we would like to apologize to the volunteers that put time and sweat equity into the authorized portion of this trail project. In the past 12+ years, YAMBA has built a multitude of trails within the York County Parks and has never had any problems or issues of this kind. We are very proud of all of the trails that we have built and hope that somewhere down the road when the trust factor is re-established with the Parks that we can continue with our trail building efforts.

Moving forward, all questions, concerns and complaints regarding any Trails within the Parks should be directed towards Skip Durgin and he will in turn take these matters up with the Parks Management directly.

Thanks for your patience and understanding as we work through this problem. We are confident that we will become a stronger and better club because of it.

See you on the trails,

The YAMBA Trail Advocacy Committee
RockyMountainSkip

Re: Update on the closure of Trail 9A

Postby ScottyB » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:05 pm

So will this have any effect on yamba building new trails in the future?
ScottyB

Postby RockyMountainSkip » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:10 pm

Unfortunately yes it does have an effect on building new trails. For now, the Parks have requested that we not build any new trails. Our focus will be on the maintenance of existing trails which will include erosion control, de-berming the outside edge of singletrack trails and of course trimming and removal of fallen trees blocking the trail.

Once the trust factor is re-established we hope that we will be able to resume our trail building efforts somewhere down the road.

I am planning on a Trail work in the next couple of weeks on the Goat Trail because there are a few trees down across the trail plus it needs a little trim job so hopefully you can make it. Stay tuned for more details....
RockyMountainSkip

Postby rmichels » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:22 pm

It is unfortunate that we are standing down on new trails, but on the bright side look at what has been developed over the past several years. Going from memory..new trails at the top of 1 at Redman, Old Man Trail, Rusty Chair, Bi-polar or whatever it's official name is..and several other areas I can't place. And actually some work at Spring Valley though we stopped trailwork in that park.
rmichels

Postby Yeti35 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:29 pm

So who put the berms up on I believe it is Trail 4 toward the back of the park? They appear to have been there for a long time. That trail flows well with those berms in it, but if they need to go since they were not approved then they have to go. I don't think that part of the trail will be much fun, but is what it is.
Yeti35

Postby RockyMountainSkip » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:33 pm

YAMBA built the berms on Trail# 4 (Rusty Chair) and they are built to IMBA standards.

We also built the first berm on Trail# 9A but all of the additional berms were built without our approval. When I hiked Trail# 9A on July 7th, these additional berms were placed where a berm was not needed and they were not built properly either.

The Parks approved the berms on Rusty Chair and they are fine with them so there is no need to have them taken out.

Thanks for your question and you concern.

See ya on the trails,

Skip
RockyMountainSkip

Postby sdm74 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:50 am

So only berms that will need to be removed are on trail 9a?
sdm74

Postby RockyMountainSkip » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:06 pm

Correct and Trail# 9A has already been closed and its berms should already have been removed.
RockyMountainSkip

Postby RockyMountainSkip » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:12 pm

Also, I will be posting something under the Trail work topic but thought I would mention under this thread about a Rocky Ridge trailwork this coming Saturday August 3rd. Meet at the back stone parking lot at 9:00am.

Bring lopping shears, water and work gloves so we can trim back Rusty Chair. Please let me know if you plan on attending and also Adventure Cycling will be providing some Gu and HammerBars for us - Thanks Ed Brandt of Adventure Cycling and Fitness!!!

Keep the rubber side down,

Skip
RockyMountainSkip

Postby Yeti35 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:54 pm

This trail is still being used. I was up there today and all the tape and signs were tore down again at the top entrance to it. People need to let it go or we could end up banned from riding there at all. I doubt anyone on this forum is riding it, but it is just frustrating people are not adhering to the closed posting at all.
Yeti35

Postby RockyMountainSkip » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:11 pm

Thanks for the heads up on this as well as the tree down on Trail# 2. The Parks Dept. has been notified of both and you are exactly right with the possible ban of mountain biking at Rocky Ridge if people continue to re-open Trail 9A. It's only going to take one bad apple to ruin it for everyone....so please get this word out if you see anyone attempting to use this officially closed trail.

Keep the rubber side down,

Skip
RockyMountainSkip

Postby Yeti35 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:46 am

No problem on the heads up Skip. I ride there quite a bit since I live close by. I would hate to see the place shut down because of a few idiots. The tape obviously is not working, so no idea if they could just start piling up dropped trees or whatever there so it is not easily moved or gone around. I have yet to see anyone there, so no idea what time of day they are riding it. I would assume the rest of the taped areas are gone as well. I don't ride that lower section as much since I am not much a of a downhill rider given I ride a XC hardtail.
Yeti35

Postby sdm74 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:59 pm

Is there anyway to have the trail fixed or dangerous areas diverted? I don't see tape keeping people out who want to ride it, especially younger riders, I imagine the tape would even attract them. Would hate to lose the park to riding
sdm74

Return to Rocky Ridge