Trail 3

Posts here are for topics pertaining to trails at Rocky Ridge County Park or any general information about the Park

Re: Trail 3

Postby wizzer » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:22 pm

I say suck it up, your riding mountian bike for the challenge and fun of it, if you want smooth riding hit the road. Just bunnyhop it and be on your way. I'm not trying to piss anyone off but I'm sure the parks are not done with what they are doing just enjoy the new challenge they added. Now go ride:)
wizzer

Postby ScottyB » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:19 pm

You know I posted this so no one comes around that corner, hits that bar and takes a spill. Sorry? :roll:
I get the vibe I should just keep my opinions to myself about the trails.

danwalko wrote:Fins plans to work on a berm on RC in the coming days....are those of you that are complaining here going to help with that? How about trimming....RC needs trimmed.

Those of us that are complaining / have opinions do help...
I spent 3.5 hours trimming back RC and picking up trash on the trails 2-3 weeks ago along with helping move that log across BA..
ScottyB

Trail 3

Postby danwalko » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:31 am

Thanks Scotty. I know you have been helping and as I said, I love the log. I am just trying to make everyone understand that we have it pretty good here in York and I don't want the negativity to mess that up. We appreciate everything you guys have been doing.
danwalko

Postby RockyMountainSkip » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:55 am

I will second Dan's previous comment. I have no problem with people expressing their opinions and offering constructive criticism on this forum. Heck, that's what forums are for! However, some of the comments were just cheap shots at YAMBA or the Parks and I have no time nor patience for those kind of comments. Thanks to all of you who have been helping with Trail work and contributing worth while opinions and ideas on this forum.

Keep the rubber side down,

Skip
RockyMountainSkip

Postby Glancing Aft » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:53 pm

danwalko wrote: Will commented about Mike Fobes not understanding how to built sustainable trails. Do you really believe the parks are going to start building new trails? Do you believe they have the manpower or funds to do this? We are lucky that the county government still sees fit to provide funding for basics like cutting grass, bathrooms, and park rangers -- let alone pay maintenance crews to build trails. And even if they did fund this....do you want the maintenance crew building new trails with their backhoe? I surely don't.

Apparently you misunderstood me. I was commenting on the fact that a portion of the seminar as well as IMBA's Trail Solutions book discuss proper retrofitting solutions for existing trails. I specifically remember the IMBA folks talking about how water bars should be avoided at all costs. Some examples I can think of off the top of my head avoid needing to use them on new OR EXISTING trails is with reverse grade, rock armoring, ect. They also talked in detail about what a terrible material crushed stone and gravel is to use for the longevity of a multi-use-trail. Because of this I continue to find it appalling that you and the other higher-ups in YAMBA stand by these terrible decisions that YCP is making to our trails. This type of trail destruction is not what we as a mountain bike community (not just our little sliver in York County, but as a whole) have fought through (education and countless hours of volunteer work) to avoid over the last 20 years!

So do yourself a favor, pick up a copy of Trail Solutions, attend an IMBA Trail Care Crew Workshop (there are a few in this area each year), and spread the word through EDUCATION and communication.
Glancing Aft

Postby diggingtrail » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:15 pm

Glancing Aft wrote:
danwalko wrote: Will commented about Mike Fobes not understanding how to built sustainable trails. Do you really believe the parks are going to start building new trails? Do you believe they have the manpower or funds to do this? We are lucky that the county government still sees fit to provide funding for basics like cutting grass, bathrooms, and park rangers -- let alone pay maintenance crews to build trails. And even if they did fund this....do you want the maintenance crew building new trails with their backhoe? I surely don't.

Apparently you misunderstood me. I was commenting on the fact that a portion of the seminar as well as IMBA's Trail Solutions book discuss proper retrofitting solutions for existing trails. I specifically remember the IMBA folks talking about how water bars should be avoided at all costs. Some examples I can think of off the top of my head avoid needing to use them on new OR EXISTING trails is with reverse grade, rock armoring, ect. They also talked in detail about what a terrible material crushed stone and gravel is to use for the longevity of a multi-use-trail. Because of this I continue to find it appalling that you and the other higher-ups in YAMBA stand by these terrible decisions that YCP is making to our trails. This type of trail destruction is not what we as a mountain bike community (not just our little sliver in York County, but as a whole) have fought through (education and countless hours of volunteer work) to avoid over the last 20 years!

So do yourself a favor, pick up a copy of Trail Solutions, attend an IMBA Trail Care Crew Workshop (there are a few in this area each year), and spread the word through EDUCATION and communication.

I'm going to have to mostly agree with Will on this one.
IMBA has had the TCC here in York twice to what end? Mike Fobes was the only one in attendance the last time from the Parks. For whatever reason the Parks have decided that they need to go in with power equipment and "fix" the trails. I also disagree that the trails are simply as bad as they were before. They are worse, and they are unsafe from a multi-user standpoint. However, I'm not going into the histrionics of suggesting lawsuits etc. That is unproductive.

I do take offense a bit suggesting that I stand by the decisions of the Parks. There has been some communication with them, but it wasn't to our/others liking. What more shall we do?
I'm going to tell you folks, I'm tired. I'm tired or trying to make everybody happy. I'm tired of planning, organizing, and only having 5 people show up to help. I'm tired of giving my time to on the trails and here at home to do keep up with it all. And frankly I have a life outside of YAMBA and have been dedicating much more time to that recently.
diggingtrail

Postby finsout » Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:46 am

Kevin, im going to spring Mt tomorrow if you want to ride along.
I'm a county parks trail user and I vote!
finsout

Trail 3

Postby diggingtrail » Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:00 am

finsout wrote:Kevin, im going to spring Mt tomorrow if you want to ride along.

I work tomorrow. Thanks.
diggingtrail

Previous

Return to Rocky Ridge