Trail 3

Posts here are for topics pertaining to trails at Rocky Ridge County Park or any general information about the Park

Trail 3

Postby ScottyB » Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:29 pm

Hey peeps - Just FYI some new features on trail 3 right down from the power lines.
Almost hit one at speed since I didn't know it was there and it's right at the corner. Both are about 12" deep. Good luck :shock:
Attachments
2012-06-17 13.11.58.jpg
2012-06-17 13.10.13.jpg
ScottyB

Re: Trail 3

Postby prophetdriver07 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:59 pm

Yea I posted it in the "WTF happened to trail 4" thread Who the hell comes up with these stupid ideas? I had to slam on my brakes....I yelled "WTF is that?" really loud and my buddy laughed.
prophetdriver07

Postby Glancing Aft » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:02 pm

I am so glad to see that Mike Forbes paid attention when he attended the IMBA Trail Crew Seminar back in 2010 on how to design and build sustainable multiuse trails :roll: :roll:
Glancing Aft

Postby prophetdriver07 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:56 pm

Just build up small berms to jump over them...problem solved.
prophetdriver07

Postby finsout » Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:05 pm

wonder why YAMBA wasn't asked to address the water issue there.....
I'm a county parks trail user and I vote!
finsout

Postby prophetdriver07 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:28 pm

I didn't think there was a problem there..its pretty flat there and slight downhill....the bottom of trail 3 got hit the hardest along with the one section of trail 8.
prophetdriver07

Postby ScottyB » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:23 pm

prophetdriver07 wrote:I didn't think there was a problem there..its pretty flat there and slight downhill....the bottom of trail 3 got hit the hardest along with the one section of trail 8.
ScottyB

Postby wrench347 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:46 am

Wow, here we go again. I wrote a long rant but why bother? It would appear that the Parks Dept is intent on ruining trails/chasing cyclists out of Rocky Ridge and YAMBA is powerless to prevent it. Oh well.
Tony
wrench347

Postby finsout » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:29 pm

I see VERY dark storm clouds gathering on the horizon for the relationship between the parks and the bikers.
finsout

Postby RockyMountainSkip » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:47 pm

I would have to disagree on this point. The relationship between the Parks and YAMBA has been very strong over the past almost 12 years. "Dark Storms clouds" can develop in any relationship when there is a communication break down. The important point is the choice people make in fixing the communication problem. Making negative comments like I have seen on this forum recently is counter productive and does nothing to fix the problem. If you are not going to be a part of the solution, then please don't be a part of the problem....

Dan and/or I will have a conversation with Mike Fobes and see what the basis of some of these recent trail maintenance decisions is and we'll let everyone know what the outcome is.

In the meantime, get out and ride and stay cool.

See ya on the trails,

Skip
RockyMountainSkip

Postby finsout » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:56 pm

Thanks skip. you are 100 percent right in that the dark clouds develop when there is no communication and I can speak for most when I say that I am relieved that YAMBA will work to fix these issue. I will be doing some berm work on RC on saturday and would be more then willing to do any fix to the problem on 3 if you can get approval.
finsout

Postby prophetdriver07 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:08 pm

A lot of the negative stuff said are opinions, and just that. We as riders are voicing our feedback towards the negative affects the parks department has done to the trails. I for one think they should of planned with YAMBA, knowing how much they work on trails, to ask how to do this instead of just ruining the trails and not worrying about what others have to think. How many riders are gonna get hurt from these stupid ideas? Someone who is not on this forum or casual riders that don't frequent the park often might not realize these ruts and end up hurting them selves. We already had one biker go down, I would hate to see 1 more. Thats why we have this negativity.
prophetdriver07

Postby danwalko » Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:44 pm

I continue to be amazed at the complaints about what the parks are doing to try to manage water runoff on some of the old roads in the park. Lets not fool ourselves....Trail 3 is not really a trail. It is an old road built on a fall line that is totally unsustainable. Every time it rains....trail 3 changes, rocks appear that were never there, ruts develop, etc. This is not a YAMBA built trail. It has likely been there since the park opened. It is nothing more than a washed out old dirt road.

Everyone understands that this is "mountain biking" that we are talking about, right? What if there was a tree branch in the middle of the trail or a rock that washed loose, or an animal or hiker in the way? Are the parks responsible if you hit that and hurt yourself since the parks didn't clear it off the trail? If you want to ride on a nice flat, even surface, try the rail trail. You can ride for miles, as fast as you want (to a certain degree), with very few obstacles (depending on the time of day).

I rode at RR yesterday for the first time in over a month. What the parks have done to trail 3 and previously to trail 4 is no better or worse than what they already were -- old unsustainable roads. They are doing what they can to manage water on these old, unsustainable trails. The only real solution to these issues is the complete re-route of these sections of trail. Will commented about Mike Fobes not understanding how to built sustainable trails. Do you really believe the parks are going to start building new trails? Do you believe they have the manpower or funds to do this? We are lucky that the county government still sees fit to provide funding for basics like cutting grass, bathrooms, and park rangers -- let alone pay maintenance crews to build trails. And even if they did fund this....do you want the maintenance crew building new trails with their backhoe? I surely don't.

At this point....I have spent more time in the last month trimming and working on YAMBA's IRS problem (so that we can move forward with IMBA's Chapter Program) than I have riding my bike. I have no other time to commit to build a new trail right now. Believe it or not.....I also like to ride my bike, just like the rest of you! Kevin has some plans for new trail suggestions which we will review with Mike and hopefully obtain permission when we are ready to work on it. There is a ton of maintenance work like trimming and some other water management that needs done at both RR and the Lakes that is more important right now. Fins plans to work on a berm on RC in the coming days....are those of you that are complaining here going to help with that? How about trimming....RC needs trimmed. Many trails at the Lakes need trimmed. Yah the work is not glamorous but it needs to be done and at this point is more important than any re-route around the trail 4 area. The last trailwork session had 3 people including myself. I still live by the old saying that action speak louder than words. Come out and help the club instead of working against us by posting nothing but negative comments on here. Will....you in particular are always negative and probably use the trails in the county parks as much as anyone on this forum. Be glad that we have what we have and help us make it better!

The lines of communication are open with the parks. Our relationship is strong. We have not done as much maintenance in the past because many of us that actually show up are burned out. We aren't done....just taking a little break. We will do what we can to continue to do maintenance and build new trails. How about more of you stepping up to help?

By the way....Fins and whoever else helped him with the log across the creek crossing on Broken Arrow -- nice job. I saw it for the first time yesterday and I like it!

One more thing....Jody Coeyman agreed to lead a night ride next Friday, June 29 at the Lakes. Come on out and join us! Thanks to Jody for stepping up.
danwalko

Postby finsout » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:08 pm

Dan, the log was fun and I would be willing to do more of them (hint hint).

I think the issue with both 4 and 3 has to do with changing the character of a trail/section. both were high speed sections and the work doen changed that. water management is needed no doubt but these swales are just nasty. I do agree about stepping up so with that in mind what do you think about working with the county to keep the water management in place BUT alter them to preserve the flow of these two areas? It sounds like there are a few people here who would come out to fix these issues if you can arrange it.
finsout

Trail 3

Postby danwalko » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:35 pm

Thanks Fins and thanks again for your continued work. Maintenance did the Swales on trail 3 without permission from management. They will be filled back in.

I will let you know when we are ready to do more!
danwalko

Postby wrench347 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:36 pm

I'll be out Saturday to work on the berms and I'm interested in looking at a potential route from RC/BA to bypass the trail 4 improvements as Will had suggested. Where are we meeting?
wrench347

Postby finsout » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:40 pm

back lot at 9 or if you are late, up in the berm section. probably need at least one other bucket and loppers/saw. if anyone has a gas powered hedge trimmer that would work great for trimming.

ps--im bringing a pellet gun for anyone who doesn't stop to help (kidding.....maybe not)
finsout

Postby kraft » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:53 pm

A couple of years back I was working on the gut (the trail - not my stomach, although that could use some work too) 2 kids (of course at my age anyone under 40 is a "kid") came riding down the trail. I said that I hope the work I was doing (putting in some drainage ditches and so on) wasn't messing up their ride. Their answer, "Na man we ride anything, it's all good. Thanks alot." They said that with a big smile on their face and you could tell they were enjoying themselves. They could care less about logs, rocks, ditches, weeds, people, horses or the york county parks. They were just riding and not a complaint. I remembered that and try to do the same. Dem youngn's taught me a little sumpm.
Do the thing that is hard to do and the power will come.
kraft

Trail 3

Postby danwalko » Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:03 pm

Markus said he might be available and he has the YAMBA trimmer. Use that to trim RC if he is available. Thanks guys.
danwalko

Postby prophetdriver07 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:57 pm

I should be there on sat to help with the berm work. I think what finsout said about us being used to going through the area fast was right. A lot of us were used to the flow. I applaud what you have been doing dan, keep it up but I still stand by the issue of someone getting hurt because it was intentionally put there, not accidentally.
prophetdriver07

Next

Return to Rocky Ridge