WTF HAPPENED TO TRAIL 4!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posts here are for topics pertaining to trails at Rocky Ridge County Park or any general information about the Park

Re: WTF HAPPENED TO TRAIL 4!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Postby prophetdriver07 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:57 pm

I'd settle for a few new mountain bike and the $ for the surgery. Joking aside, all it takes is a lawsuit and then its too late. So what was the plan for the "re rout" that part of that trail after Rusty Chair?
prophetdriver07

Postby Glancing Aft » Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:04 am

prophetdriver07 wrote:So what was the plan for the "re rout" that part of that trail after Rusty Chair?

So here's my thought. Rather than trying to recreate a good section of trail that was destroyed we should just create something new, fresh, and exciting. Why not start a new trail from broken arrow (just down from the road by the switch backs), that has some good flow down the hillside to the intersection of 4 and 6, as I show in the attached map in orange. That way we'd have a great long section of single track all the way from the power lines to the 4/6 intersection.
Attachments
The %22Official%22 Un-Official Rocky Ridge County Park Map.jpg
Glancing Aft

Postby mtmajor » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:26 am

I like that idea also Will.
I think Kevin already looked into that though and the terrain in the middle of that area you are talking about may be impassable. I know when we were flagging out B/A there were some large bluffs back there that were two stories tall.
I think it might be worth re-visting that option though cause if we could make it work that could make the best of a bad situation.
mtmajor

Postby ScottyB » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:09 pm

Sounds good to me.
ScottyB

Postby wrench347 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:38 pm

That is a good idea! I'm in, when do we start surveying the route?
Tony
wrench347

Postby prophetdriver07 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:39 pm

Ok, here's my idea to bypass those stupid ruts; Create a bridge from that rock formation right at the curve to go down. can build it on the rock and have it go over the rut and end in the ground or add rocks and dirt to create a small berm. Or make a curve bridge from the right side of that trail where it is sorta tight and rocky and add a junction bridge from the rocks to give 2 ways of using the bridge. The left side would be untouched for people wanting to bypass it and for the horses. In the other pic where the small rock ramp is..the "filled" in grey area would be of the same formation like those rocks and place the bridge over that 2nd rut to other side in the same fashion. Maybe we can salvage old trees and come up with a way to use them the same way like a log bridge. They already messed that area up so this cant be all that bad and might not take along time to complete if we get the people to help. I would.
Attachments
trail4bridge3.jpg
trail4bridge2.jpg
trail4curvebridge.jpg
Trail 4 bridge1.jpg
prophetdriver07

Postby finsout » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:19 am

that would be sick. i would def chip in some money to build that.
I'm a county parks trail user and I vote!
finsout

Postby prophetdriver07 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:34 am

We may be able to salvage logs and downed trees and use them to cut the cost a bit. Oh and the beginning of trail 3 there are 2 deeper drainage ruts that I almost crashed on because I had no idea they were there. So fyi.
prophetdriver07

Postby Glancing Aft » Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:38 pm

mtmajor wrote:I like that idea also Will.
I think Kevin already looked into that though and the terrain in the middle of that area you are talking about may be impassable. I know when we were flagging out B/A there were some large bluffs back there that were two stories tall.
I think it might be worth re-visting that option though cause if we could make it work that could make the best of a bad situation.

Two story bluffs sound awesome to me! It would make a really beautiful visually appealing trail with a lot of character. But just my two cents, if it's something the club wants to look into, consider for construction, count me in for trail work!
Glancing Aft

Postby prophetdriver07 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:34 pm

"warning: drop off...DH bike recommended for this section" i want to see this area next time I go there.
prophetdriver07

Postby diggingtrail » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:58 pm

Hey folks, I've stayed out of these topics for awhile now and thought it was time to chime in. I appreciate the enthusiasm. ideas, and opinions, and wanted to let them flow before I posted.

A few thoughts:

Wood structures are a no go. I can 99% garuntee they won't happen. It's just the way it is.

The reroute that GA proposes, while a good idea most likeley won't happen either. For multiple reasons. From the parks perspective; it sort of mirrors an existing trail which is strike one, and it bisects a large undisturbed area or a "wildlife island", which is strike two and the biggest issue. From YAMBA's (well mine as the guy that plans and executes trailworks) perspective, it would be a large hard project. Broken Arrow took 200 man hours and was in less challenging terrain. The bottom of Rusty Chair pops out onto 4 b/c of the challenging terrain. More likely to happen would be a reroute of the section of 4 from Deininger Rd down to the intersection above the bridge like I originally envisioned.

However, there are other projects that are further ahead in planning or that I would like to do first, such as the trail 9A, nonàme "no-na-may", downhill and the continuation of Bipolar up to the trail 3/8 split. There is also one other project that I think alot of people will be interested in that I will post up soon.
diggingtrail

Previous

Return to Rocky Ridge